Spey Rod overhead casting?

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Steelie Mike, Mar 12, 2007.

1. Steelie Mike

Steelie Mike Active Member

Home Page:
    Yesterday I was able to get out and do a little saltwater fishing with a couple of friends. Two of them were using spey rods and were able to cut through the wind (30mph) and cast twenty feet farther than I could with a standard shooting head single handed rod. I found it very interesting because I have heard that on the East Coast fly fisherman use spey rods to fish for stripers on the beach and jetties. Do any of you have experience doing this and what types of lines do you use?
    The line that my friends were using was an Airflo two handed 40plus Ridge line. I am not sure how many grains were on the sinking head. I thought this would be a lot of fun to play with when fishing the estuary for salmon.

2. Steve Buckner

Steve Buckner Mother Nature's Son

Home Page:
    You can throw ridiculous amounts of line overhead casting a two-hander. I've thrown the mid-spey lines - they work well because the head length is relatively short. I've also done it with skagit and xlt's, you've just got to make some adjustments. With practice, you should be able to throw an entire spey line.

3. Mulligan

Mulligan Stephen Mull

I've dinked around with overhead casting to get my line out initially, and you can send pretty ridiculous amounts of line. Waving that big stick is a bit tiring though.

4. Riane

Riane Mouse doctor

Talk to Matt Burke about this, he has a sweet overhead cast- perhaps he will chime in on equipment and technique.

5. flybill

flybill Purveyor of fine hackle, wine & cigars!

Matt's the man for the info this type of casting!

I've played around and cast most of my spey's overhead a few times. It's a lot of work w/ my 14', but with my 11'6" Rainshadow it casts pretty well.

I do want to try the CND Oceania's sometime soon too. I would also like to try my 11'6" out on the beach sometime with my custom Skagit line. That should be able to get a clouser out there a little bit!

Bill :cool:

6. HauntedByWaters

HauntedByWaters Active Member

I have the RIO versatip and it overhand casts and shoots like a champ if I take the mid belly off. I imagine your buddies may have been outcasting you because the diameter of their line was smaller. That long fat taper is only important on rivers so take it off, if you can, in the salt and you should be able to rip a cast further than a single hander.

7. Matt Burke

Matt Burke Active Member

Hey Bill, who were the two guys throwin’ airflo heads? There are not a whole lot of people doing it. I’ll bet you can count the total here in the Sound area on one hand. I’m no pro at the overhead, but I’ve got a real fishable cast. I guess you didn’t see me casting the day we fished cuz I kept letting you hit the runs first, but on the river it does allow me to toss a bird with a brick tied to it a fairly good amount. And in the salt off the beach with the wind almost always in yer face fishing the east side of the Sound, it can be very effective, or at least allow you to fish when others can’t. Also, you don’t need the brick to get the bird down in the salt for fish feeding close to the beach. Sage 5120 for light work, a 13 foot Talon for medium and a 15 footer from Bob Meizer are all I ever use now and overheading 99% of the time. I have at least got to the point of expending less energy casting than I did with Spey casting with the B&B fly (bird and brick). I’ve cast the Oceana, but it’s a tad short for me. Noted I expended more energy casting it than I did with a longer rod, plus I was at odds with the fella that originally helped designed that rod and went another path with less resistance. It’s all a matter of personal choice though. There is another fine rod I’ve cast, the Echo2 Scandinavian series of fly rods that were designed by Tim Rajeff. Leroy Teeples showed me that rod two years ago. I’ve been a little busy for the last couple months being a man-whore (It’s gotten so bad I have several plastic Safeway bags in my closet labeled with the appropriate name. I have to hang their nighties on the hook in the bathroom and place their make up and crap just exactly like it was the last time they were over. I also make sure the hair color in the shower drain is the same color or remove any evidence.) but I have several goals this year. One, get with Bob Meiz about his rod and show him my overhead and reconnoiter with him. Two, get with a couple masters from the FFF (Leroy Teeples, Steve Buckner and hopefully Al Buhr) and ask them what they think of my perverting the two handed rod. My cast isn’t perfect yet. The other day I had a loop that was so tight and so far out, I could of threaded the whole leader and head through a frog’s ass. Just can’t remember what I did right. Anyway, call me and we can get together or keep BSing on the site here about it.

8. agent montana

agent montana This Must be a sickness!! MARINATE!!!

I have been Over Handing my CND Oceania with custom Skagit for about a year now..In fact this was my first season where I was totally dedicated to it...Matt actually helped me out one day and it was what opened my mind to the possibilities... Ron from AATF is also a great help as well...
    I used it on the surf back in Maryland last year from the piers and surf and had a blast!! Its addictive...I built a line as that was easier than going through and testing 1000 lines!! Even the CND rec line sucked...I threw one of Matt's rods with a custom head and decided that was the way to go for me..Now I have got a full custom multi head system that I have designed..
    BTW Matt.. The custom head totally changed the dynamics of the Oceania..We should get together and go fish in the next couple of weeks!! I got off for the next couple of weeks so I can hang out with my newborn but I certainly will be finding some time to throw some line...

9. Matt Burke

Matt Burke Active Member

Geezus Krista, yer making me sound like a dope dealer. I regret showing you a few secrets because I do have some racists issues. Us sea pirates donna take to kindly to marine biologists, ARRRRG. JFK.

I’ve switched up my heads too, my black brother from another mother. When Rio finally came out with just the Skagit head with no running line or tips (which most of us have plenty of) I just cut a tad here and there on the fattest ones I could get and now I’m tossing 800 to 975 grains of sick ass line. And with the way too frickin’ expensive running line by Varivas Airs, it just peels out of the water or stripping basket. I’m getting those weights with heads at 27 to 32 feet too. I used to think turnover would be like coaxial cable, but I’m used to it now. Really looking forward to hitting the water in one last push on the Skagit and runs out to the OP. We have to fish bro, call me. Bring your baby. I’ve raised three kids of my own genetic make up and at least 25 others. Plus, as a nurse I am more than capable of taking care of any emergent situation that might occur. If you have a belly or back pack, I’ll carry her for you. Hell I’ll bring my kids, will throw them in a tent with some portable wrestling mats I have and duct tape the door shut. Call me.

Mike-I’m sorry, it was you I should have asked about the guys casting overhead. So, “who were the two guys throwin’ airflo heads?” Which Camas are you at, Clark or Stevens county? Either one, I’ll come see you on the river. Call me.

Bill-See you on the Skagit Sunday.

10. flybill

flybill Purveyor of fine hackle, wine & cigars!

Cool, see you up there! You'll have to help get my overhead casting dialed in... j/k.. I will give it a try though.

Mike - Which Oceania do you have and what's the grain weight on the custom line? Just curious, I'm going to test out Ron's sometime soon. Cool stuff, do I need it? No... But I've gotta try them and see how they are to play with... He who dies with the most toys wins, right?!?

Later!
    Bill :cool:

11. Steelie Mike

Steelie Mike Active Member

Home Page:

Matt I live in Clark County in SWW. We were fishing Tillamook Bay in Oregon for rockfish that day. Jay Johnson and a local spey guru were with me. I am always down for fishing my man, just let me know when.

12. agent montana

agent montana This Must be a sickness!! MARINATE!!!

MAtt I'll give you a call I gotyour number around here somewhere..I should be good to go next week possibly. I may be on the Skagit on Monday and the rest of the week is open I hope...

13. tweedside

tweedside New Member

Until a very few years ago you seldom saw the so called Spey Cast in use in the UK. The only people who used it regularly were fishing the Spey itself or perhaps the Ness. And even then most were locals or gillies as opposed to visiting fishermen. 95+% of fishermen throughout the UK used the overhead cast with double-hand rods - and many still do so. And if a few years ago you used a ferrule-joined bamboo rod for real spey casting it would not last long before twisting the wood/ferrule junction.

The present fixation on speycasting is without doubt the product of tackle makers marketing spin, which necessitates the purchase of even more expensive tackle.

The fact is that for 95% of real fishing need the overhead cast is more accurate, less disturbing to the water being fished and can be executed with any line-profile and any rod. On top of that, the average fisherman can cast at least as far - with far less stress and strain - using the overhead cast.

The whole subject has surely got out of proportion when we see people using 5 weight 12' or longer rods whilst fishing for small trout. And as for that thrashing about with skagit style lines...!!

But each to his own I suppose.

14. Sloan Craven

Sloan Craven Active Member

Well, I think the development of spey in the NW U.S. has to do more with it being truly an adaptational response to the environment. With very little room to backcast on most stretches of most rivers the angler has to cast really short, roll cast their brains out, or spey cast. Casting overhead with a two handed rod will get your leader caught up in branches of trees 99.9% of the time on rivers. So that's right out! This really leaves it only viable for beach casting.
    Skagit casting is also adaptational as is allows a caster to cast a great distance or target up close, which conventional spy lines do not allow. Really, heavier singlehanders that are properly ined do not allow that versatility either. I think maybe if you've seen Skagit casters thrashing about, maybe they're poor examples.
    You should invite a bunch of us over to fish some of your rivers and discuss this further. :beer2:

15. DRBfish

DRBfish New Member

What? You can't cast up close? That is odd. I can cast far and near with the same lines --- 75'-95' heads.