Spey rods

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Tom Johnston, Sep 14, 2009.

1. Brian Thomas

Brian Thomas Active Member

Tom , if your favorite sh rod is a fast action rod , then you`ll probably do best with a fast action spey . Most people would`nt recommend doing this , as your timing becomes a little more critical , the faster the rod you`re using . But I believe that the action you prefer in sh rods translates well to spey (if this makes any sense) . Every rod manufacturer will have at least a couple of sticks that could be considered fast .

For my own fishing , I would`nt want to give up my 12.6 7/8 Loomis Stinger . I line this with either an Airflow 7/8 Delta or a Rio AFS head . OR my 9143 Burkie . I use either a CND 9/10 GPS , or a Rio 7/8 Grandspey or a 8/9 XLT on this rod . And the last rod I don`t ever want to give up would be my CND 16'1" Solstice . I use the same lines as on the Burkie . For reels , I use a Hardy Salmon #1 on the Stinger , and either a Salmon #2 or a Sage 3600d on both the Burkie and CND .

You`ll note that the rods get slower as the length of these 3 rods increase . I have other rods , some very good , but for the steelhead fishing I do , these three rods will cover it all .

BTW , a guy over on speypages has a smokin` deal on a brand new CND Black series rod , with line .

2. speyday

speyday Rod tubes in the overhead compartment

OH CRAP.........here come all the experts giving advice to someone theyve never seen in action.

If youre new, i wouldn't recommend trying to cast any rods at any claves!!!!! RUN AWAY FAST
    (About 90% of the people at these things are just as bewildered as you, and will offer you advise till the cows come home........bleeeechhhhkkk.)

You don't know how to cast!!!!!.....how could you possibly be ready to decide what the finer points of each rig deliver for you? Its like a guy who's never had alchohol before going to a wine tasting in napa.

I have a strong recommendation that instead of spending $______on a rig, you spend 200 and invest in the most important piece of spey gear that will last a lifetime............YOU.

**** Go and take a casting lesson with a certified instructor ******

Tell him you know nothing.
    He will set you up that day for free.......with the kind of rig that new casters do well with.
    THEN, you tell him where you'll be fishing and for what.
    He can write down at least 3 different completely dialed-in rigs that you could get. At various price points,too, im sure.

Certified instruction..........before you develop bad habits.........will be a MUCH better investment than the equipment. Don't fall for the sexy allure of gear.........you will wind up buying rigs, selling them for a loss, and never getting the proper foundation.

You will bypass all the trial and error, bad advise, improper rigs for your style, and shave 3-4 years of heartache off your learning curve.

(how do I know this? well lemme tell ya................................)

3. Brian Thomas

Speyday , nobody`s telling him what to get . Tom asked what people`s goto outfits were . He got some answers .

Yet you`re willing to give advice ...:confused:

4. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Speyday, I've got some spey gear and don't know crap. (Willingly admitted)
    Tom asked and has been given advice that has directed him to seek out Mike or Aaron at one of the casting clinics. They did not tell him to go find someone to show him the ropes at a gathering. I can assure you with confidence, when I schedule myself to go to either one or both of the Saturday and Sunday events on the water with Mike and/or Aaron that the right steps will be taken for my own spey instruction. Tom already admitted that he was going to do that. If he goes out and buys gear, and maybe he will, he must know that there is some risk involved.

So, what is your go to outfit?

5. Ian Broadie

Ian Broadie Flyfishing is so "Metal"

Home Page:
    After reading some other posts I will just succinctly answer Tom's question:

My main go to rod would be my TFO Deer 13' 7/8, it is in my opinion a great jack of all trades rod, it will throw skagit, skando, short belly, and long belly lines well. There are many rods out there that will do each task individual task better but few that will do all of them as well.

Cheers :beer2: and welcome to the darkside

6. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Yes, my first post was maybe terse, or worse. But the first thing I read in this thread is that Tom has already bought and unloaded a switch rod. That's not to say he'll do the same thing with a Spey outfit. But I seem to recall Tom posting last year as a newb and going through gear like some guys go through socks. That's fine when the objective is to spend money. Speyday is right, Tom will be way further ahead to spend money on casting lessons instead of a rod.

In the interest of being helpful, Tom I'm ignoring your original question. My go-to Spey rod doesn't mean shit to you, and given your status as a non-caster, it would be absolutely worthless information. Get some casting lessons and then come and ask us some questions. Our answers will make a hell of a lot more sense to you then.

Terse? Yeah, maybe. But why continue to waste bandwidth on useless information? That you read a lot about steelheading and watch DVDs is nice, but still doesn't mean shit until you get your ass out on the river and do some casting with an instructor! So get your ass movin' already.

I think psychologists call this "tough love."

Sincerely,

Salmo g.

7. Tom Johnston

Tom Johnston Been around a while

I love tough love Salmo:thumb:. First I thought the whole purpose of this website was to give others advice and a helping hand if you want to call it wasting bandwidth call it what you like. Did you not think that I knew I would run into this with posting this thread? Tends to happen from time to time on this site! To set the record straight I bought THAT switch setup with rod line and reel for $150(only lost $20 when I sold it). Oh and by the way Ive only owned(5 rods) and unloaded two rods in my life. One being a TFO Pro 8wt and that switch rod we discussed about! Maybe you and I need to meet at the river and you can give me a little lesson on steelhead fishing(with a sh since I will need lots of time learning the art of spey). Could use a helpful hand....

Sincerely,
    Tom

8. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Glad to hear it Tom. I didn't do a lookup of old posts but thought I remembered enough from your previous experimenting to comment the way I did.

OK, get your gear together, we leave at 9:00; be home Sunday. Be ready to wade waist deep and cast 80 feet. You'll need secret fly patterns, like whatever the fuck you've got in your fly box. It's complicated fishing, but not in the way that you probably think. You look at a big piece of water that all looks the same to you and then pick out the part that is different and wonder why the fuck is this different than the rest? Cuz steelhead live there; that's why! Most of the stuff you've read about steelheading won't help you catch a fish. All the books I've read on the subject leave out the most important stuff. I tend to tell it true. My steelheading posts over the last few years are a gold mine. And yes, I've had more than my usual ration of wine tonight.

Sg

9. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Sg, best damn post online tonight! Tommy J, you better have your shit packed! Good luck.

10. SpeySpaz

SpeySpaz still an authority on nothing

all right Bubba, you asked.
    My favorite TODAY was a 14' 6/7/8 Meiser "S" and I used 3 different lines, a custom built SGS short spey, a 7wt SGS shooting head with Int 12' poly over 30#Airflo, and a chopped 8/9 DDC connect with an S1/S2 tip.
    hope that raised more questions than it answered.:rofl:
    Sunday my go-to was a 12'6" 5/6 Deer Creek with a 420 Compact Scandi over Guideline LRL, 10' intermediate poly

If your REAL question is what's a good all-around outfit, the standard answer is a 13' 7/8 around here, but I think the Fethastyx you sold would be perfect too, especially if you would have sold it to me. :hmmm:

take the advice Tommy, learn to cast. Once you can cast, the rest comes. The secret words are HOLDING WATER...shhhhh.
    _G...gold mine? what brand of wine was that? I want some help with my self-esteem too. LOLOLOL
    Oh man, you rock.

11. FT

FT Active Member

Tom,

The reason very few folks have offered "advice" on their favorite 2-hand rod, line, reel is because what I like, many others do not and vice versa. In other words, just because a particular rod/line combo is great for one person, it could be a dog for another. Those of us who are experienced in the spey world know this and we don't want to send folks off to get rods/lines that might not be very good fits for them. We are not trying to be evasive at all, just trying to keep you from buying something you won't like because it doesn't suit you very well.

This is why the best thing for someone new to the 2-hand and spey casting world is to go, get some casting instruction from those who know how to spey cast well, and try different rod/line combos.

Mike Kinney provided the absolute best advice possible for anyone thinking about getting into the world of spey. Go to either Aaron's (River Run Angler) get together Saturday mornings in Carnation at the mouth of the Tolt River, or the one Mike does with All About the Fly at Howard Miller access on the Sky just outside of Monroe. Aaron is a certified 2-hand casting instructor, and Mike is one of the finest and best spey casting teachers you could ever find.

Like Mike said, after 3 or weeks of these sessions, you will be able to know which rod/line is a good match for you and what you wish to do with the rod.

I'd also recommend you take Salmo up on his offer and get some time on the river with an experience steelheader because steelhead fishing is very different from trout fishing.

12. Tom Johnston

There we go thank you, thank you. I know book authors leave out the most important part thats because they would not have any water to fish if the cat was let out of the bag! I know theres alot of in's and out's to steelheading that alot people dont talk about. I dont mind putting time in to figure this all out. I had no one teach me how to read a beach and where to really look for searuns. But I got it figured out for the most part! Im not some slack ass trying to get a free ride here. I dont mind standing balls deep in freezing ass water and being skunked on many outings. Its called fishing for a reason and not catching! Its the reward you get from the tug on the line. Next saturday Ill be heading north to the spey clinic and probly be doing it sunday too. Im gonna get this spey thing down and do it right. :D

13. speyday

speyday Rod tubes in the overhead compartment

Mumbles,
    I don't have a 'go to' rig. I go to the one thats right for the situation I've been handed

Brian,
    I guess your right. I just let a personal hunch tell me that this fellow might possibly be soliciting this advice to make yet another purchase in an attempt to get the magic rig that will be just right and perfect for him.

Most importantly,
    TOM:
    Sent you a PM with an offer of a product for you free of cost to help you get started right, and is along the lines of what mike K. has offered.

Shutting up now,

Ken

14. Tom Johnston

Pm sent back Ken.

I am starting to think posting this thread was a really bad thing!!! Maybe I should of gone a different way of how to enter this thread.

15. Brian Thomas

Ken , I`ve done my fair share of chasing the elusive Magic Bullet:beer2: