spey water?

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by the_trout_bum, Jun 15, 2008.

1. Charles Sullivan

Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

Home Page:
    Nothing like calling someone a steelhead virgin to get the old hackles up! Steelheading is hard, no question. Posssibly the same point could have been made without calling the dude a virgin though.

What did Jerry stand for? Heroin and hot dogs. I do love that band.

Just another short haired hippie sox fan,
    cds

2. HauntedByWaters

HauntedByWaters Active Member

Considering your avatar, you make zero sense Pan.

You are one annoying puppy.

Catch any summer-runs lately?

I never called the guy a virgin what-so-ever.

I asked him if he has caught steelhead around here. As in on the Stilly, the Sky, and the Snoq. He has been inquiring about those rivers on the general forum.

I thought maybe he was one of those Great Lakes fly fishermen transplants or something like that.

I got the sense he doesn't realize how most of the steelhead craze in this area is fueled by memories from 20+ years ago. Not that I would know from personal experience so don't attack me about that now.......I mean Pan, you could call me young and stupid or something, better get on that.

3. Charles Sullivan

Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

Home Page:
    My question is this: how many steelhead have you caught around here?

By the looks of your language I suspect it is zero. -JB

In my book, that's calling him out as a virgin. I will cede the point that you never actually used the word virgin. For shits and giggles change steelhead to women and caught to laid and you'll see the analogy I was making.

I am one of those great lakes flyfisherman transplants. I foud that the fishing here was tough, after some initial success. The learning curve is steep, but I'd rather catch no fish swinging than some fish with the old chuck and duck.

Lester,
    cds

4. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

I was being contrary Jason... I have the upmost respect for my favorite musician, regardless of his lifestyle. you aren't the most perceptive person are you?

You've got to remember people, most people wouldn't like these low energy interactions. Jason thrives on them. Any attention is better than non for some people.

I'm annoying?? talk about calling the kettle black.:rofl::rofl:

5. HauntedByWaters

That is fine Pan, makes sense to me.

Once again you have to be a dick.....You always have to say something condescending like this every time you disagree or don't like what others post.

It is usually in the form of a question as if it isn't really all that insulting.

Whatever dude the only time this shit goes down is when YOU are involved.

I have had countless quality, insightful, interesting, interactions with the people on this site, all positive except with you. Others would say the same.

Hey man you started it when you insulted me. You could have just said "stop being a wanker" or something along those lines but you had to be straight up insulting. You had go to character attacks, you always do.

Why not disagree, make your point, and keep it in the context rather than go after people personally?

In these types of threads you always straight insult people, they react, and than you act like you have the higher ground.

You area a troll Pan, I never argue with anyone on here except you and it is usually to call you a dick after you have insulted me and I know other users have the same experiences.

Remember when you posted this:

That is what started this shitfest. You know if you make a post like that about anyone that you will not get a favorable reaction, you are a troll so stop trying to act like you aren't.

6. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

It will be all right dude.

7. HauntedByWaters

Until next time than Pan. :beathead:

The next time you talk shit and than act like you never said anything.

Peace, until than.

8. Philster

Philster Active Member

Yeah... Right... seen them... Also seen Parliament in their heyday. A couple Alice Cooper full on stage productions in the 70s, and the Allman Brothers, Dave Matthews Band... Joe Jackson... Man, I can of so many folks who were so much better live... I actually have nothing against the dead, and hung out with Bob Weir a couple times on Mt. Tamalpais. He was just another dude in bike shorts reading the paper or eating a veggie burrito on top of the mountain after riding his bike up there. But the Dead Heads... Man...

9. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

Gotta love opinions...everyone has one---that's cool. I will agree with you on the stereotypical Deadhead though.

10. Will Atlas

Will Atlas Guest

wow, total hijack. On the actual subject, there are a fair number of steelhead in all the S Rivers right now. I'm not going to disclose locations because I've spent alot of time learning the water I fish so I'm not going to spread it all over the internet. Bottom line, do some exploring, fish hard and well and you can expect to hook some fish. I would say right now, a competent angler can expect average about a grab per day (full, hard day) of fishing. I've been fishing a type VI with marabous that I would fish in winter as most of the rivers are carrying a fair bit of color at the moment. The fish are fresh, and aggressive so get after it. It is hard, but if jason is fishing 100 days for 4 hookups he's probably doing something wrong even in the worst of seasons.

Will

11. musashi

musashi Member

wow, is the joke on us... the sequence of exchange between jason b and panhandler sounds like two boys fighting over a popiscle stick...

I was waiting for the 'just kidding' explanation.

12. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

Just kidding. :D

13. the_trout_bum

the_trout_bum ifish

jason-

if you have been reading my recent posts then you shoud have learned that i have a new spey setup, and being new to the spey casting world, i wanted to "catch a few" with my new toy. and to clarify, i live in kirkland, so fishing the sky or snoqualmie is do-able for me to head off to and fish after work. for the most part, ill fish the methow or cascade for my steelhead, smaller rivers and decent access, the "big water" scene is newer to me, and have only been fishing this far west in the past couple of years.

and this summer? 2 summer runs both natives, but not on the spey, jsut on a 9 foot 6/7 wt. throwing a big ugly moal leech. and last winter was tough everywhere, but i did manage 6 steelhead over the course of the winter, 4 natives and 2 hatchery.

ive never fished the n. fork stilly for steelhead, but have spent many a days fishing trout water up in that area, but with the flows as high as they are, these areas aren't deemed as real nice steely water, so i was doing some research as to where to go in reagrds to high summer flows.

so far from virgin there cheif, and i really didnt appreciate the disrespectful comments.

and the easy "let down", very unnecessary. i am also very aware that steelhead fishing is far from "productive". on average i spent about 150-200 hours per fish last winter, so im fully concious of the slums and fish-less days.

so don't be so quick to judge next time please.

best regards,

the trout bum

14. Eric Tarcha

Eric Tarcha gear whore

15. James Mello

James Mello Inventor of the "closed eye conjecture"

Getting back to the thread. In general with a 2 handed rod you should be able to fish any run anywhere, anytime. The initial intent of the 2 handed rods were to be able to effectively fish high sided banks. Later, techniques were improved/invented to make casting distances more efficient.

The lesson I learned this winter is that quite a bit of *effective* 2 handed fishing will occur with nothing more than a 15-20 of line outside the tip. The basic jist of it is to look for those little honey hidy holes that have provide enough sanctuary for a single fish. While one could fish those with a single handed rod, I found the line control from the bigger stick to be the single greatest advantage I never used. Overall I tended to overlook the smaller water in favor finding "big water". So for instance, you could actually fish high sided rip rap (with favorable water flows) easily and effectively.

As for good water, the run above the Sultan bridge while crowded is a reasonable run to do both spey casting and maybe have the chance to catch a fish.