Speying a Glo-Bug: Kosher?

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by kimosabe, Feb 6, 2007.

1. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

Why not? If the fellows in the UK can use a 'roe imitation' why not us? (Actually interesting, they (glo-bugs) have just 'come on scene over the past year.)

2. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Home Page:
    It's funny talking about traditions. I've actually used that greenheart (talk about slow, WOW) with a traditional reel on it. What a beast to cast all day (I only did it for a couple hours). I personally feel that if you could put those same guys who started these traditions into todays world and changed their status, they wouldn't go the same routes they did then. Let me explain.

Most of those guys using double handed salmon rods (aka speyrods) were of priveldge and had ghillies who tied ALL their flies for them (well, I do know some of them tied flies, but bet not all of them all the time). Now, make them tie all their own flies (much easier to lose flies tied by someone else then ones you tie yourself) and give them some of these newer generation flyrods, reels, and lines and I bet you'd have a TON of converts on your hands (the weight of my 16' 3 piece greenheart weighs MORE then similar rod/reel/and line of my current spey rod, let alone adding the heavy reels and line they were using). So tradition IMHO is what you make of it. I say go for it.

Now, if you really need it to be kosher, I bet you could find a Rabbi to bless it for you. ;)

3. Mark Speer

Mark Speer It's all good.....

Do what turns you on, or more importantly what turns on the iron heads.

4. Jumbo

Jumbo Member

As a Jewish Speycaster, I take great offense at the use of the term "kosher"

Kosher has a very specific meaning that often gets overlooked in this day and age. My family and I keep a kosher household, but that has nothing to do with speycasting.

Our society misuses the term kosher broadly, at great offense to kosher jews like myself...

Oh, and on the egg pattern things, you might as well use bait.

5. hendersonbaylocal

hendersonbaylocal Member

I don't get why people get so worked up over nymphing for steelhead. A glo-bug is a heck of alot closer to immitating a natural food form than a popsickle marabou - or most spey flies for that matter. Even cavemen realized that evolution is a good thing. Tradition is fine, but unless you're also fishing with antique lines, reels and rods, it is pretty lame to use "tradition" as an excuse to trash on people who don't fish the same way you do. Methods differ, but the MAIN purpose of fishing (flyfishing included) is to CATCH fish, right?

Caveat: this is not directed at any one person, it is just my rant for the day.

6. kimosabe

kimosabe Member

Sorry Jumbo

7. miyawaki

miyawaki Active Member

Kimosabe,

Are you in Maine? If you're flyfishing for steelhead, my understanding is that you must fish nymphs and glo bugs to have any kind of a chance to hook a steelhead. And why would it matter what we think in the northwest, where the waters we fish are totally different than yours?

Just curious,
    Leland.

8. Will Atlas

Will Atlas Guest

only if the glo bug is first blessed by a rabbi. and no putting cheese on top.

9. Piscivorous

Piscivorous New Member

I would say it's cool so long as you use tie in a jungle cock eye w/ some french lagartun (whip finished w/ hands, not tool, and using hand as a vice);) .

10. doublespey

doublespey Steelhead-a-holic

Can you get a rabbi to bless it with some good single malt??
    I think that would suffice. :)

11. Nate Dutton

Nate Dutton I'm a teacher, I fish to eat!

SPEY CASTING WITH GLO BUG????? ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR MIND????? that is a great idea! Hey why not!!! I would thow and old sock out there (that i tied of course) if it catches fish! Heck this one time i had a dream i was a steelhead and I ate a glo-bug from a spey rod......wow intense. Anyways i could physco-analyze your org. post but the flat up and down of it is......If it Rocks your horse then keep on doing it....but if it doesn't work then you should probably try something new because it didn't work.

12. kimosabe

kimosabe Member

Hi Leland, I am a newbie with a 2 handed rod...yes I am in Maine, fish the steelies in New York occasionally but
    the landlocks and brookies likes eggs too :)

As to why I care what you guys think....you folks have collective experiences/methods/patterns that I appreciate and would like to use in my fishing.

I am thinking of chucking...:) I meant speying out an intruder/skagit minnow/old sock as opposed to traditional Maine streamers on Maine rivers could be fun.

I was just curious as to what the prevailing attitude is among folks who spey alot:) about the glo-bug

Just asking and learning along the way:)

13. Marty

Marty New Member

Home Page:
    If you are swinging it I don’t see how it is any different then swinging a polar shrimp, oh wait a min it has a wing. During a long drive this past weekend with my brother-in-law the topic of tinheads came up. He talked about how most of the anglers were fishing glow-bugs with an indicator in the heads of the riffles, every one in a line. He was told he had to do the same to catch. His response was how did they get to the head of the run as he went to the tail out and started to swing his fly all by himself. It wasn’t long before he was hooked up with a bright fish. The guys he was fishing with could not believe it. I think you will find more anglers swing flies with two handers out there these days. Now if you plan to nymph with a two hander it would be better to stick with the rod you have

14. bhudda

bhudda heffe'

Home Page:
    kimo- ol'schoolers are still into scented tying material, eggs are great,i fish eggs as a trailer? wouldnt you!, and a PINK plastic squid. i love it!

15. Hal Eckert

Hal Eckert Active Member

The so called spey tradilionists will have a problem with it but if its legal in the waters you fish why not and sometimes fishing an egg may be your best chance at a hookup. Myself I usually start swinging a spey or streamer, then perhaps if there is no action later in the day go to nymphs and/or an egg pattern.

:beer2: :beer1:

BG