Speying a Glo-Bug: Kosher?

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by kimosabe, Feb 6, 2007.

1. salty spey

salty spey New Member

I just hope my daughter never considers marrying someone who has been known to swing a Babine Special or Double Egged Sperm Fly. I mean, what would the neighbors think? Let it go guys. Sheesh!!!

2. Big K1

Big K1 Large Member

No globugs for me. Just a personal preference.

3. Philster

Philster Active Member

A spey rod is just a big ol' long worm pole after all. Hugh Falkus sometimes swung a prawn. Not a prawn pattern... A prawn. As in the thing you dip in Tempura... MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM... Tempura...... Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr... Tempura's not kosher right? Shrimp are Tref?

4. Marty

Marty New Member

Home Page:
    I have been casting a two handed rod for 20 years now and I have no problem with how anyone uses a long rod, what ever floats your boat. I on the other hand prefer to used the rod to swing flies and if that makes me a traditionalist well then I guess I r one. I guess my issue here is that some anglers feel the need to segregate others by the technique they use to catch fish. Most fly fishers feel they are above bait or spoon chucker’s, dry fly fishers feel they are above nymphers, Swingers feel they are above strike indicators and it goes on and on. I look at this in reverse, I swing flies because it is for me is the most challenging way to catch a steelhead, I know indicators are highly effective and that I could more than likely catch more fish using one but is it my choice not to. If it were a number game for me I would throw away all my fly gear and turn to bait. The reason there are two handed rods is because someone way back when figured out a better way to get the fly out to where it need to be. My thought is use the rod the way it works best for you and forget about what others think.

5. Hal Eckert

Hal Eckert Active Member

They are I have proven it to myself several times when swinging flys through water I knew fish were in and not getting a touch, then switching to an indicator set up and immediatedly starting to hook steelhead. Some water is just not ideal "swinging water" which you need to figure out on your rivers. BTW, I have never used bait on the spey rod but have tried some small light weight trout colorado spinners and they can be very easily cast effectively with the spey rod. Of course when I am alone and no one else is around.

:) :beer2:

BG

6. John Hicks

John Hicks Owner and operator of Sea Run Pursuits

Home Page:
    Leland,

I would have to say that swinging is comming into fashion out on the great lakes. Of course when you swing out here the catch rate comes down to that which is human by west coast standards.

7. Rob Zelk

Rob Zelk I swing, therefore i am.

Swining conflicts with nymphing because nymphers don't move through runs the same way; I personally have never come across this problem yet, but i could see why some traditionalists could be angry, not just traditionalists but any swinger for that matter. I'll nymph for trout but I have been swining for steel so long, when i nymph I find it hard to lock my attention into constantly working the line and indicator when steel fishing. Plus, I just love spey casting(without an indicator). Of course I'm used to my ways, a long time nympher would tell you the same. Swing only where a swing allows you to, and do it right, you'll catch'em if they are there, as would a good nympher. Personally, I have seen steel caught behind nymphers, plug pullers, and sidedrifters by swingers, they only have an advantage of fishing water where swingers can't get a fly down. Its funny because i nymphed a run a while back and didn't touch a thing, then i swung it and caught a fish; vice versa to the story above, it just comes down to preference and what method you choose to master. And a bit to add, I also once saw a friend catch a 20lb plus fish, after 10 passes had been made in this particular run, by swingers, including myself and my other friend. Why didn't they(we) catch the fish? Because they weren't swinging the same way, skill level is paramount, not just in swining but in any method.

8. bigtj

bigtj Member

It seems like sometimes everything is up for scorn by some of the "so-called" traditionalists. So I can see why you might ask the question. My reply is, I don't give a rat's behind what anybody thinks, I'm gonna fish the way I want, courteously (i.e. no low-holing, follow etiquitte) and if others don't like the fly - or rig (including an indicator) I'm using then too damn bad for them. It's a free country last time I checked.

9. Hal Eckert

Hal Eckert Active Member

Right on as long its a legal technique on the water, I gave four years of my life for these american freedoms as many others have in service to country.

:beer2: :beer1:

BG

10. kimosabe

kimosabe Member

Hi guys, it is just fishing, I don't think it has come the point where our personal liberty is in jeopardy as to whether we swing or not :)

Maybe it is time to let this post RIP:)

BTW, BGhost, I thank you and others for serving

11. Marty

Marty New Member

Home Page:
    It’s just fishing, how can you say that. There is nothing on earth that brings the same kind of joy. For most steelheaders it becomes a passion. Maybe that’s why some feel the need to force there ideals onto others. For me there is nothing worse than to be in a run grinding into the perfect cast and step rhythm to be low holed buy another angler. Most the time it is a spoon chucker that makes a couple casts in the bucket and leaves. It’s an education issue and for me usually ends up in a confrontation. I try not to let it get to me but it always does. I am sure that is where the perception that some have for us “so called traditionalist” comes from. It was never a problem 15 years ago, most the time you had the river to your self. Times are changing, you new to the sport need to learn the ropes and us old farts need to lighten up a bit. It’s all about respect.

12. Hal Eckert

Hal Eckert Active Member

Lots of fly swingers spey and non spey for steelhead and salmon in the GLs I have been doing it since the early 80s. More and more every year, still mainly nymphs and eggs fly fisherman with and with out indicators though I would say.

:thumb: :beer2:

BG

13. Brian Scott

Brian Scott Member

If the fish don't care why should you? If you want to put the fish (and yourself) up on a pedestal then by all mean do so. If not, fine with me. Steelhead don't know a spey flie from a piece of yarn. Fish anyway you please brother. Why you're at it, dip that blo bug in some old, stinky roe. IMO there's nobody on this planet that has the right to judge. Come on...it's only fishing fellas...just as long as you're not negatively impacting the resource...then all bets are off and you best defend yourself.