Spokane and E. Washington

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by jdogburke, Mar 8, 2003.

1. jdogburke

jdogburke New Member

I've been out for a while but I'm looking to cast some flies. Is anyone having luck in or near Spokane?

2. dbk

dbk Active Member

I am not sure what type of fishing opportunities you are interested in, but I had some good luck fishing for steelhead on the Tucannon river in SE Washington about 2 hours away from Spokane (3 fish landed in two trips this past week). I also fared decently at Amber lake near Cheney. The Spokane river is high, but still fishable. I fished it a couple of times and managed to land some nice sized rainbows. Rocky Ford is also an option, which I fished tuesday of last week with hard earned success, nothing however compared to what some guys here experience when they fish that creek. A number of Eastern Washington Lakes just opened up (Lenice, Lenore, etc.) if you are interested in stillwater fishing. Crab creek is another place within an hour of Spokane that can offer decent fishing. I spoke with a guy last week who did real well there recently fishing San Juan worm patterns. Another place to try, assuming that water levels are not too high and/or water clarity is still good is the Little Spokane river, although this time of year the water can be high and too muddy for good fishing. Hope that helps some. Good luck.

Dave

3. NewToSport

NewToSport Member

Where abouts on the Tucannon were you? I'd like to fish that a little more but know nothing about it. Any help would be great.

4. Gords

Gords New Member

The big Spokane may be worth a try, I had some sucess last week near the Fort Wright Bridge. However, the rains we are receiving right now should push the already high river up.

5. dbk

dbk Active Member

The stretch of the Tucannon I had the most sucess was along 261 which runs through Starbuck. I am not sure where you will be traveling from, but 261 is reached directly off Hwy 12 which takes you to Dayton when coming from Spokane. There are a number of pullouts off 261 where you can park and walk down to the river which runs parallel to 261. If you stop in at Darver Tackle in Starbuck the lady there is very nice and can help you find some of the better spots on the river to fish. To get there, turn left off of 261 when you come to a cafe which is off 261 on the left hand side (sorry I cannot give you the name of that road). Stay on the road for a few blocks until you see a Darver tackle sign which tells you to take a left and the store is 1/2 block up on that road. There are lots of good spots to fish above and below the town of Starbuck. If you go past Starbuck on 261 you will see a road on your left that leads a bridge. You can take that road and park at the bridge and walk down to the river. You can also continue on past a short way and you'll see another pullout on your left where you can park and walk down. There are lots of good spots between those two places to fish if you want to wade the river a bit.

If you stay on Hwy 12 coming from Spokane (instead of turning right on 261 toward Starbuck) you will come to the Tucannon river road. If you take a left on that road you will find access along it in spots, although I did not fish this section very much. At that left there should be a sign pointing to the fish hatchery and conservation camp. It is only a mile or so past the turn off for 261 when coming from Spokane on Hwy 12.

As for patterns, the only ones that worked for me were pink egg patterns, although I tried a variety of patterns (egg sucking leeches, buggers, green butted skunks, etc.) There is lots of good pocket water and one can effectively swing flies if they want in some spots, but I found dead drifting egg patterns on a floating line with some spit shot to be most effective. If I can be of any more help, email me at dkutt69@hotmail.com. Good luck.

Dave

6. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

I used to know it all---but now that I'm older I seem to forget it all.

Boy, Starbuck must be growing. The last time I was there all I saw was a fire station and a small grocery store. About 4 years ago.

Jim

7. jdogburke

jdogburke New Member

Thanks Dave.

I was considering Amber. Were you in a tube and using sinking line? I live in Cheney, so I love Amber!

I worked in the Little Spokane River Natural Area for State Parks and I'm sad to say I've never fished it. I've canoed it a lot though.

I tried Crab Creek at the end of last summer, but it was really really low. I'll give it another try.

Have you tried the river at Little Falls Dam yet???
    Thanks again,

:thumb

8. jdogburke

jdogburke New Member

My first (and last) rattlesnake close encounter was on the Tucannon. That was the middle of summer though and we were after Catfish (Channel Cats, right?).:eek:

9. NewToSport

NewToSport Member

I usually come from Walla Walla so I'd be passing through Dayton. The only time I fished the Tucannon (last year)was to go up the Tucannon road. I had some luck a little ways up that road but found lots of barbwire obstuctions. Next time I'm up that way this year I'll look for Darver Tackle.

Come'on jbwood, sounds like a road trip to the home country. :smokin

10. jdogburke

jdogburke New Member

Deleted message

No message

11. dbk

dbk Active Member

jdogburke,

When I fished Amber, it was in my pontoon boat using a type VI sinking line at about 20 feet deep. I really had no success in fishing the shallower water areas at Amber. Deep and slow was the method, using a variety of damsel nymphs and woolley buggers. Water temp was very cold,but the ice was off unlike on opening day. I would go back again as it should only improve with some warmer weather.

The Little Spokane is a great place to fish, although access can be tough. I like to float it in my pontoon boat during the summer when the water levels are down and the fishing is better than it usually is in the early spring. Give it a shot sometime, it is a nice fishery.

I am not sure which river you are talking about that runs at Little Falls Dam. Could you clue me in on that one? I am interested to know what and where it is. Thanks.

Dave