Spring mid sound Coho

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by ChrisW, Mar 8, 2005.

1. ChrisW

ChrisW AKA Beadhead

Fished from a Seattle City Park at sunset to today and caught a couple 14" coho on a miyawaki beach popper, incuding one on the first cast! Had the whole place to my self. It was a little windy which may have hurt the surface action a bit. Those small coho don't fight too hard vs a 6 wt. but it sure is fun to get them on the surface! I saw several other swirls and flashes, and that popper is sure fun to cast- much easier than a weighted fly like a Clouser.

CW

2. Smalma

Smalma Active Member

The lack of company may have something to do with Marine area 10 being closed to salmon fishing.

3. BOBLAWLESS

BOBLAWLESS New Member

Poaching! Don't know if you can get a citation from your above admission but it wouldn't surprise me if you did. Always read the regs. about the water you are going to fish and be prepared to hand them to the warden if asked. It makes a very strong case if you can point to the print. :eek:

4. ChrisW

ChrisW AKA Beadhead

Yikes!! I would have thought I was within the spring blackmouth fishery which appears to be shorter this year for area 10. Thanks for pointing that out.

Man! I guy can't even go on this forum & brag about accidentally hooking and releasing a couple hatchery coho while legally fishing FOR wild cutthroat trout without getting pounced on! Thanks for the astute eye to regs, I'll make sure that as I continue to fish FOR wild cutts in the sound, I will unhook all accidentally caught hatchery coho without removing them from the water. Good thing Puget Sound is open to trout fishing 365 days/year.

CW

The regs are the regs, and I try to always follow them to the letter. But anyone know why the spring salmon season closes early in area 10? Every where else it is Mar 31 or April 10. Can't imagine what species they are protecting by doing so, is there a spring chinook run somewhere? Just curious- not poaching Bob.

5. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

When one is fishing such areas,it is hard to tell what is on the other of the line. It's like catching chums when one is fishing for steelhead. I don't see any reason to jump on the poor guy when the fish don't know that the area is closed. It's getting that nobody can brag on here anymore with out being jumped on for fishing one way or the other.

I don't imagine that all of you who jumped on him hasn't caught a fish out of season. If you haven't then most are just telling stories.

Jim

6. BOBLAWLESS

BOBLAWLESS New Member

Jim, just upholding a tradition on this site. That is, illegal or unethical behavior is not condoned and will draw fire. Fish, that is wild steelhead, must be handled correctly (see the photo by Steve Buckner of his 20 pound steelhead for the correct way to photograph a fish) and meat shots of a string of dead anythings are not met with much approval. Illegal fishing or targeting closed fish is frowned upon.

So don't jump those who jump those, Jim, for wrong behavior. Join the good guys.
    Or have you been poaching a little lately yourself? :rofl:

Bob, the You have got to keep a tight eye on Jim as he crawls way back in there and lord know what he does once there. :cool:

7. TomB

TomB Active Member

I agree Jim, but it was pretty clear from the tone of his post that he didnt know that it was closed for salmon, and nowhere did he mention that he wasnt targeting them in the original post.

We flyfishers often get so pissed at gear anglers on the stilly during the summer, or bait anglers in selective waters, but if we (and many of us often are) fishing for species that are not open to fishing, or writing reports that make us seem like we are, we are first of all hypocritical, and worse, we encourage more of the same behavior.

Smalma made a VERY good point in another post about the number of fly anglers that told him they were targeting chum in the stilly. I would be willing to make a wager that many of those same anglers wouldn't have hesistated to denounce or report a gear angler fishing the same waters, which in many ways would have been a less meaningful violation of the rules.

The lesson to be learned is that we are not above the rules, and we ALL need to check them carefully before we head out.

Not trying to put down ChrisW, just reminding us all...including myself.
    -Thomas Buehrens

8. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

It's not to hard to catch the wrong fish when fishing skinny waters or the salt water. And yes I have caught the wrong fish from time to time. But I keep my mouth closed to keep people off my back. "Like you were not catching trout you were catching smolts" or is the correct way to say it,Parr.

So in the long run I guess that we should all quit fishing and just stick to planted lakes. That way toes won't be stepped on.

And I guess being that my fishing sucks I just can't see anybody being in the same boat that I am.

Jim

9. i8cadfly

i8cadfly New Member

This subject may open an entire new thread!
    WHO OUT THERE HAS NEVER MADE A MISTAKE? Please include "sex, drugs, and rock n' roll" as you review your life experiences.
    Catching a fish out of season and returning it back home unharmed does not seem to stack up to the stories hatched in High School we seem to tell anyone who will listen. AC>

10. TomB

TomB Active Member

thats not the point guys.

1) we can all follow a simple preventive measure by checking the regs
    2) it is especially important that we follow this preventive measure if we are going to be complaining about others breaking the rules.

-Tom
    Yes, I have made mistakes before

11. ChrisW

ChrisW AKA Beadhead

Well its clear that by my choice of title and report that I was not aware that the Area 10 was closed to salmon fishing. This is my mistake. But it is true that the area was open to trout fishing and my tactics were perfectly legal.

Was I targetting these fish? You tell me, I have caught many cutthroat from this very spot, this spot has been written about as a cutthroat spot in more than one publication that I can name and my fly of choice is listed in another publication dedicated to cutthroat fishing exclusively. When i hooked my first fish I immediately thought it was a cutt.

Not that any of this matters because my tactics were legal.

Poaching? I resent that comment very much Bob. I consistently post on this site on conservation issues, at the expense probably of enough fishing reports and I felt my time was due to give up the goods. To be called a poacher on this forum is quite an insult…be careful you may need me in your corner someday. ;)

12. tomc

tomc Member

BRAVO Chris! That accusation was uncalled for. I'm 100% behind you.
    Tom Callea

13. NW Fly Guy

NW Fly Guy New Member

Wow, is this how internet boards work? I guess if I put up a report, I better be very specific on all the points. I didn't take it negatively at first. Mostly because he seemed to be telling about his experiences. Plus, with the method I read I assumed he was fishing cutties. I know I fished alot different patterns for silvers in the salt from the beach. Though, not as often as I'd like to have. But I always have done quite well. I too have read all about the popper techinque for sea run cutthroats. So assumed that's what was going on. Think some people may have jumped to conclusions. Especially calling them a poacher. I would assume a poacher would have kept the fish they had caught. From my experience over the years, poachers are harvesters. Not catch and release. People do make mistakes, that happens. I just don't feel we should jump someone with accusations like that until it was asked what he was targeting first. I know I have recently caught fish that were "out of season" while I was fishing for other species. I had checked my regulations at first anyways.

14. Griswald

Griswald a.k.a. Griswald

Chris,
    Honest mistakes happen, let not the overly righteous on the board discourage you from posting reports. I believe a better way to have told you about your accidental oversight would have been to PM you or in a more diplomatic public manner. But hey that isn't as much fun as a public flogging! :thumb:
    Griswald
    The I make enough mistakes everyday and I think we should all help one of our own here rather than beat on his head guy~

15. Scott Behn

Scott Behn Active Member

To error is human...good on a Chris!!!!!

I personally don't see what the problem is all about. Trout is legal in the salt for catch and release. At least that is what I got from Chris's original post. I didn't see anything that says he went out to Seattle Park to fish for silvers.

Just my .02

:rolleyes: