"Spruce" Type flies

Discussion in 'Patterns' started by Jack Devlin, Nov 8, 2013.

1. Jack Devlin

Jack Devlin Active Member

I like your Spruce. It is a very nice tie. I think that is the way a true Spruce should be tied - very artistic and flamboyant. The splayed wings add so much.
    In the patterns I have shown here, I tried to "tone" down the pattern a bit and get closer to imitating small baitfish and sculpins. Well, almost.
    Best.
    Jack

2. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

What?!! Where's the "Spruce Goose" Jack?!! Very nice!

3. Tacoma Red

Tacoma Red Active Member

The long wing creates an irresistable pulsating effect when stripping across current flows. A reverse spider spruce is even more SRC compulsive.

4. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide.

Cranberry Country...a glorified coastal swamp!
    I like the looks of that Spider Spruce. I'll have to attempt tying some Reversed Spider Spruces. Maybe some Reversed "Purple Joes" since a purple Reversed Spider is reputed to be an effective version for SW WA coastal streams and tidal creeks. I don't know why I haven't ever tied any in purple yet, except that I already have too many flies on my "gotta tie some up" list. A Reversed Purple Joe would eliminate two from the list, with only one tie.
    The last Spruce in my box has been ravaged and only has one wing left, so its time take it out back and shoot it, and then try for some reincarnation.

5. davpot

davpot davpot

Home Page:

6. Preston

Preston Active Member

Just an historical note: The Spruce Fly streamer was apparently developed by brothers Cap and Milo Godfrey in Oregon around 1918. That might make it the oldest fly still in (relatively) common use in the Pacific Northwest.

7. Mark Mercer

Mark Mercer Member

Thanks for that bit of info Preston, always been one of my favorite little streamers for river cutt's, or anything for that matter !!!

8. Tim Cottage

Tim Cottage Formerly tbc1415

Over time I have come to believe there is a considerable amount of trout mojo in peacock sword tails as on the photo of the original inspiration.

TC