SBS Spundun SBS

ScottP

After goofing around with the Skitterbug, I thought I'd try to apply that concept to Art Sheck's neat Spundun mayfly; couldn't get it to work properly, though, so I figured I'd tie up a Spundun anyway. The clipped deer hair provides a nice, built-in pfd.

hook - Dai Riki 320 #14
thread - UTC 140 tan
tail - hackle fibers ginger
body - goose biot tan
wing - deer hair

mash barb, attach thread at 70% mark, wrap back to point above barb and create a thread bump

pull off a clump of hackle fibers and even tips

measure (shank length) and tie in

wrap back to thread bump to force tail to proper tilt and splay angle

tie in biot (notch side down to create ribbed body)

trim hackle butts at initial tie-in spot and wrap thread forward to create smooth underbody

wrap biot forward and tie off at 70% mark

clean & stack a clump of deer hair

measure for length (hook shank), trim butts and lay on top of hook at 70% mark

2 soft loops, pull firmly

and allow deer hair to spin around hook shank

push hair back with finger (make sure it's evenly dispersed around hook)

pull hair back and wrap head, forcing deer hair back

half hitch x2, trim thread, SHHAN

trim out bottom hair fibers, creating the pfd

a done dun

Regards,
Scott

ScottP

Started tying up a bunch of Drake Mackerals and found that wing first seems to speed up the process a bit; easier for me to spin the deer hair on a clean hook shank.

hook - Dai Riki 320 #12
thread - UTC 140 tan
tail - Congo Hair brown
rib - Uni stretch brown
body - Aussie possum
wing - deer hair

mash barb, tie in thread at point a bit more than one hook eye width back from front

clean and stack a good-sized clump of deer hair; probably more than you'd normally use with a Sparkle/Compara Dun since you don't have to worry about trying to cover the butt ends (I don't tie Sparkle Duns because mine stink so that's just a guess)

measure for length (hook shank)

swap hands and trim; lay deer hair at tie in point with about 1 hook eye width towards the back

2 soft loops

gently pull tight and let the hair spin around the hook, leaving a nice sized pfd/thorax

tie in Congo Hair

tie in rib

wrap both back to hook bend

trim tail (body length); Fall Drakes have a fat, err... full-sized body so I'll sub dubbing instead of the biot body

first wrap behind rib

dub right up against the deer butts

twist the Uni-stretch tight, rib body and tie off

move thread back to wing tie in point, push deer hair back with finger; should be a pretty even 360 around the hook

pull deer hair back and create thread dam/head

whip finish; trim hair on underside

SHHAN and you're dun

Probably not a real rough water fly, although I fished some active pocket water with it Saturday and it did fine (fish ate it, too). I can get these down to a #16 okay, anything smaller and mine don't come out as well.

Regards,
Scott

Nicely done. I tie biot-bodied sparkle duns, but trying to taper the body so that the biot goes over the deer hair butts is a bit tricky. Putting the deer hair over the biot makes a lot of sense.
D

ScottP

I tie biot-bodied sparkle duns, but trying to taper the body so that the biot goes over the deer hair butts is a bit tricky. Putting the deer hair over the biot makes a lot of sense.
D
That's how Charlie Craven ties a Comparadun in his Basic Flytying book (blatant plug alert), and he leaves the butts trimmed but uncovered. I tied a few of those up and they looked better than my Sparkle Duns (of course, anything looked better than those flies), but I still had problems getting the wing to cant properly; I seem to do better with the Spundun.

Regards,
Scott

Ed I

That's how Charlie Craven ties a Comparadun in his Basic Flytying book (blatant plug alert), and he leaves the butts trimmed but uncovered. I tied a few of those up and they looked better than my Sparkle Duns (of course, anything looked better than those flies), but I still had problems getting the wing to cant properly; I seem to do better with the Spundun.

Regards,
Scott
I had Craig Mathews demonstrate how to tie wing for me in the 80s. It looked so simple. I still can't seem to get it right. I've used Cravens's method and it is a bit better. I will try the spun. Even though what I tie looks like crap, they work.

jersey

livin' the dream
What kind of "measurement or gauge" is used for sizing smaller pattern deer hair clumps? Is there a rule of thumb, so to speak?