SRC Beach Ethic

TroutHustle

I am trying to get a pulse of what the SRC angling community deems an ethical frequency to fish a beach. We all have our favorite beaches and they are favorites because they are consistently frequented by bad ass wild trout that are very agreesive hunters. However, given what I read about the CC Colition’s research and about the material on site fidelity such as in Stoll’s book, I think am trying to be as conscious as possible of when my fun turns into detriment to these fish. I tend to fish a beach once in a 2-3 week cycle.

We all practice good c and r. That’s a given.

So, how often do you guys fish a beach in a given time span?

As often as I possibly can and I never think twice about it.

Treat the fish with as much care and respect as possible, but I don't believe we have much to worry about beyond that.

I go out day after day without seeing a single fisherman. And I tend to put a lot of miles on. I just don't see the pressure that gets referred to so often.

If you think about how much shoreline there is in Puget Sound and how much of it EVER sees an angler, I have a hard time being too concerned. I think our fish populations have far more important things going against them than some Joe fishing a beach a lot. But that's just me.

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater
I agree with Nick.
I haven't fished SRC's nearly as much this year as I have the past four or five years. When I have, I rarely if ever see others on beaches I like to fish.

I'll generally fish the same beaches once or twice a week. Being a weekend warrior I haven't found it to affect the fishing much even on back to back days.
I also only fish searuns for 3-4 months per year, always October thru maybe January. Only fishing for them a quarter of the year may minimize my sample size as far as fishing goes.
Of the larger fish I catch, I really don't think I'm catching the same fish multiple times. I know it happens, but many of the larger fish have unique spotting, scars or wounds, fins, gill plates etc that you tend to remember.

There are certainly some beaches that get hammered on a daily basis. I think most folks know which beaches those are.
I wouldn't think fishing a beach with multiple anglers is the experience most are looking for. The folks fishing those beaches would benefit by burning some gas and exploring other locations.
I also think the fish wise up after getting pounded on a daily basis.
SF

Last edited:
I must be fishing the wrong beaches. In the time I've beach fished I can recall seeing a guide on foot exactly once. And that was more of a casting/instructional thing than it was full blown guiding.

Ive seen the GHFS boys out in Yaks a time or two, and I've seen Justin Waters and a couple others in boats.... but beach wise I've seen it just once.

mtskibum16

I wouldn't worry about it. I think that if anything, the fish will just get smarter and harder to catch in higher frequented locations if you assume they stay on the same beach for much of their time in the salt. Just think about fish on a river like the Madison and how many anglers/flies they see. The fish don't all die, they just get harder to catch.

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater
ok. lets be realistic. if you want to limit your impact, just fish topwater patterns without hooks. catching fish is boring, but watching them eat flies never gets old.

I say we form our own ethic. "after one fish to hand, switch to the poppers man!"
Even with hooks, poppers will greatly limit your catch.
They are about as inefficient a pattern at hooking searuns as you can get.
SF

I must be fishing the wrong beaches. In the time I've beach fished I can recall seeing a guide on foot exactly once. And that was more of a casting/instructional thing than it was full blown guiding.

Ive seen the GHFS boys out in Yaks a time or two, and I've seen Justin Waters and a couple others in boats.... but beach wise I've seen it just once.
Nick, if you fished the south sound beaches as much as I do you'd see what Larry's talking about. I've seen the fishing pressure by guides increase on a few beaches, not just the popular one's but one's I used to never see anyone on..... Guess I need to fish up north more.

wadin' boot

Donny, you're out of your element...
All good points above. As far as guides go, I met one on his day off and of course he was super cool. He was in fact the inspiration that I needed to realize that it is OK to drink beer at 8:30 am on a Puget Sound Beach.
Paying a SRC guide, watching him drink 8:30 AM beer and only using poppers probably would be first circle of hell for me.

I would rather do weekend disability exams out of a leased chiropractor's office on 99.

"Yes sir, you do have remove your sweatpants and Taz t-shirt and get into that gown...."