SRC Beach Ethic

Plecoptera

Really is a personal decision. Keeping up on available scientific information is something we should all do. As more research is done we are finding out just how unique this species is and how vulnerable they are to exploitation. Whether you want to fish a few times a week or a few times a year, your understanding of the impacts you have should guide you decisions. Lots of good info on this site to help.

I personally only fish SRC beaches a couple times a month, mostly because that’s all I have time for. I’d be out there more if I could. Having said that I mostly avoid a particular local beach that gets constant pressure, solely because I feel those fish need a break. I also only use light wire hooks #8 or smaller. Just some decisions I’ve made based on my perceived impacts.

nailbender

What Nick said is true in my experience. I have run into people guiding on the beach 3 or 4 times in vastly different areas. It seems like they are always doing more of a casting seminar than anything else. One person I know that guided for a local shop was asked to guide on the beach and he told me he wouldn't do it anymore. The guy told me you are just set up for failure. The majority of people that hire a guide are traveling and or have never fished a beach before. Never used a stripping basket or a shooting head. Basically the same people that hire guides on the rivers. Its much easier for a guide to teach them to cast nymphs a short distance than chuck a weighted fly 60-70 ft. in the wind.

Three of us fished four different beaches on a really nice day last Sunday
We did see one other person fishing, he was on one of the beaches that get fished all the time. Not everywhere is overrun yet, but it is slowly becoming more popular.

My opinion is most people that try beach fishing just don't stick with it. I think our weather has a lot to do with it.

I have never understood the guide thing for the beach.
I assume that there are folks that don't value the figuring it out on their own ( ^sweatpants and Taz shirt guys prolly fits the bill), the time spent trying to sort it all out with pals, the wondering,"hmm, what's over there on the other side of that log?" and then answering their own question.

Lots of dudes just want to skip to the money shot then go home...

I have never understood the guide thing for the beach. You pay a guy to drive you to the beach, the guy walks you to a spot on the beach, the guy points to the ocean and says, "cast here.":D
Never understood them pounding out multi limit boats trips on lake samm either

Dipnet

The wanted posters say Tim Hartman
I kinda like the "alone-ness" of fishing.

If I arrive at a beach that has more than one or two other anglers I might just pass that particular beach by and travel to somewhere less populated.

Don't get me wrong. Fishing with good friends is wonderful but I'm retired and prefer to fish during the work week when sites are less crowded. Most of my friends are still "working stiffs" so can't join me during the week.

At least in my neck of the woods, there's plenty of places to find solitude and fish if you're willing to travel.

9FT6WT

I struggle with the ethical dilemma of how much is too much as well. This past June I started fishing for SRC, and was driving to spots all over the place with little luck. By chance I found a spot six minutes from my house that produced well and I enjoyed it three to four times per week from June through October and never saw another fisherman. There’s enough shoreline that it didn’t necessarily feel like the same fish were getting pounded though I’m sure I caught the same fish more than once. On the best days I did very well, perhaps 10 or more SRC, but on average I’d probably catch six, and miss as many.

Sometime in September or October it seemed like a light switch turned on and the spot started getting hit hard with other anglers, one of whom confessed that he was coming daily, so I’ve stopped going. I figure one spot with two guys who are fishing daily probably isn’t sustainable in the long run, so I concede.

One thing about hitting a beach often that I think is a positive for the SRC population is that you have the opportunity to impart some knowledge on other anglers, which they should already know, but often don’t. Catch and release only, etc. . . I know that when the switch got flipped and people started to show up and my local beach there was more than one person that may or may not have known the regs.

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater
I struggle with the ethical dilemma of how much is too much as well. This past June I started fishing for SRC, and was driving to spots all over the place with little luck. By chance I found a spot six minutes from my house that produced well and I enjoyed it three to four times per week from June through October and never saw another fisherman. There’s enough shoreline that it didn’t necessarily feel like the same fish were getting pounded though I’m sure I caught the same fish more than once. On the best days I did very well, perhaps 10 or more SRC, but on average I’d probably catch six, and miss as many.

Sometime in September or October it seemed like a light switch turned on and the spot started getting hit hard with other anglers, one of whom confessed that he was coming daily, so I’ve stopped going. I figure one spot with two guys who are fishing daily probably isn’t sustainable in the long run, so I concede.

One thing about hitting a beach often that I think is a positive for the SRC population is that you have the opportunity to impart some knowledge on other anglers, which they should already know, but often don’t. Catch and release only, etc. . . I know that when the switch got flipped and people started to show up and my local beach there was more than one person that may or may not have known the regs.
Many people don't fish for searuns in the summer for a variety of reasons, so that is likely why you didn't see any other anglers this summer on those beaches.

Fall is in my opinion the best time to fish searun cutts in the salt, which is why you are seeing the "light switch on" in regards to other anglers.
SF

Last edited:

jasmillo

I have hit the beaches pretty hard for the last 2-3 years and way more often then not I am by myself. Salmon is a different story.

I have seen a guide with clients one time and that was at one of the more popular north sound PS beaches for SRC. That beach is the only one I visit that I have expectations that another angler may show up and I would say that only happens 30% of the time most of the year.

There was literally a 2-3 month spell late last winter into spring that I did not see another fly angler on the beach. My location does help. I have the north/mid sound and Hood Canal very easily accessible to me.

People really need to spread out. Sure the popular beaches are popular for a reason. However, I can honestly say I have caught SRC off nearly every beach I have tried - and I have tried a lot over the last few years. I obviously still have a lot more to try as well because I know I fish similar areas as some of you heavy users and I have yet to run into you!

Never understood them pounding out multi limit boats trips on lake samm either
Haha that is probably the single most bizarre guided fishing trip I've ever heard of! I understand maybe hiring a guide for Kokanee on our lakes to get the run-down on what can be a fairly technical fishery, but 14-16" Cutts? Really? People will do anything to put the freezerburn to some filets these days.

mtskibum16

I have never understood the guide thing for the beach. You pay a guy to drive you to the beach, the guy walks you to a spot on the beach, the guy points to the ocean and says, "cast here.":D
I'm not a big "guide guy" myself, but that's not much different than any other wading guide (like for a river). Beach fishing is way more daunting as a newb than river fishing is, and finding fish is also much more difficult. In a river you know there are fish there and just have to get them to eat. In the salt, you have to find them, then get them to eat.

But if you want a guided SRC trip, a boat trip is the way to go. You'll get to see way more water and have a much better chance of success whether you define that as the most fish caught that day or the most knowledge gained for your future fishing. Great way to help flatten the learning curve.

Haha that is probably the single most bizarre guided fishing trip I've ever heard of! I understand maybe hiring a guide for Kokanee on our lakes to get the run-down on what can be a fairly technical fishery, but 14-16" Cutts? Really? People will do anything to put the freezerburn to some filets these days.
Yea I'm curious on just how many of those amazing fish go to waste. Pretty sad a guide would choose a living on that lake. Wonder where they will go once it's fished out.

quilbilly

Big Time Hater
I remember the good old days when you could hire a float plane to take you into Puget Sound's best cutthroat fishing locations.
You still can, I see Kenmore Air land just south of one of my spots, folks jump out, have lunch, fish, dig clams, pick up driftwood and just wander around on the beach.