SRC flies

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by VTDryFly, Nov 28, 2017.

1. VTDryFly

VTDryFly Member

2. VIUcutthroat

VIUcutthroat Active Member

I didn’t look far, but Wooly Buggers, Clousers, and Muddlers all work. Sizes 6-10 here, but maybe one of the Puget Sound guys has better advice. Not sure how to say this diplomatically, (I worked part-time in a shop for awhile) but with flies you get exactly what you pay for. If you live in the area, why not contact a shop and purchase speciality flies. Yes, more money, but likely tied in the North-West, hopefully locally, and those flies should catch fish and be well-constructed.

Eg. I noticed Clousers tied using marabou. Marabou is wonderful stuff, I use it all the time, but cutty teeth shread it in no time. All my clousers are tied using some type of fur.

Anyway, that is just me. I tie, but when I travel to fish, I always make a point of dropping into a local store to pick up a few “guide flies”. There are some amazing tyers in the Seattle area. My 2-cents.

3. VIUcutthroat

One more thing ....... I read their intro and it sounds interesting. Ask him (them) where the flies are tied. They talked about materials in the flies however most companies selling flies tied in the USA would tell you that.

If domestic and well-tied, hell of a price.

4. VTDryFly

VTDryFly Member

Thanks for the info. I actually got some Delia’s squid patterns from poulsbo fly shop that lasted about 30 min of casting before completely unraveling and falling Apart. I paid over 6 bucks for those two flies and never hooked up or anything because I really never even got a chance to cast them before they totally fell apart.

So after that I’m just looking for something that may fish well, gig harbor doesn’t have that fly so I just thought what the hell and looked online. They are based in San Diego.

5. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Did the flies possibly fall apart due to your back cast striking the beach?

You might consider going to Sportsmen’s Warehouse in Silverdale and buy some brown, white and olive woolley buggers.
    Maybe a few small clousers in olive, chartreuse or pink over white and you’ll be set.
    There is a really nice guy that works in the fly fishing department that can help you out if he is working the day you go there.
    His name is Mark.
    SF

6. VIUcutthroat

Assuming your casting is fine a Delia’s Squid should last much longer than that. I understand your frustration. Paying that amount for flies that fall apart would be very frustrating.

FYI. Based in San Diego really doesn’t mean much (these days). In the place I worked (in Canada) flies came from 1) local, very good 2) Africa (cheap, poorly constructed, not worth retail price) 3) Oregon based ...... but imported from Malaysia! QC. varied .... from mostly excellent to ocassionally poor. 4) Another US base, but flies imported from Thailand or elsewhere in SE Asia. 5) Also a Canadian based supplier - usually V.G., but again, tied off-shore.
    I also assume China has jumped into that market too.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2017
  7. VTDryFly

VTDryFly Member

Should sculpin be in size 6 or is that too small

8. TroutHustle

TroutHustle Active Member

Avid Angler, Emerald Water, or Puget Sound Fly Co would set you up better.

Better yet just get the stuff to tie Delia squids and tie pearl ones and green ones.
    White thread, blood quill marabou, sparkle chenille, and cone heads is all you need. SS 15 size 8 or 6 hooks.

Justin Waters and VIUcutthroat like this.
  9. VIUcutthroat

Depending on the hook model Size 6 is fine. Even 8’s and 10’s for Clousers and Buggers are not to small - may even be preferred on some days. I’ve caught Searuns on hooks as small as 12-14.
    Read Trouthustle’s advice. Heck, go for it!

10. miyawaki

miyawaki Active Member

I am fairly certain Jeff Delia ties his squid flies for Peninsula Outfitters. He is an excellent fly tier and that squid is not fragile.

Leland.

VIUcutthroat likes this.
  11. jd conehead

jd conehead New Member

Hi Guys, Jeffrey Delia here. If you bought the Delia's Cone`Head Squids recently from a fly shop then I did not tie them. My flies are not cheap but I guarantee them as far as durability(as long as you're not beating the crap out of them with your casting) and they have been known to catch a few cutthroat. I have a good inventory of a number of my well known cutthroat patterns and would be happy to sell you some "guaranteed durable" cone-head squids or some of my new fish catching (20+incher two weeks ago) calamari cone-head squid patterns. Sorry you got some poor ties. I tie all my own patterns with the best materials I can find. If anyone's interested you can contact me at [email protected]
    Thanks, Jeffrey Delia

12. msteudel

msteudel Mark Steudel

Home Page:
    Do you happen to tie any glow in the dark flies for night src fishing?

13. jd conehead

jd conehead New Member

Yes, I have been tying and fishing Cutthroat patterns with glo-in-the -dark materials for a number of years and in fact, was out last night and landed 4 nice cutts on my latest Delia's Glo Ghost pattern . I am a big believer in the glow in the dark materials. I posted my email address on this site yesterday if you're interested in contacting me please do. For any of you folks who might be interested in reading some of my Facebook fishing post all you have to do is send me a friend request but the best way to do it is to first send me an email letting me know who you are.
    I have been fishing for sea-run cutthroat and tying flies for sea-run cut throat for over 30 years, and teach classes on tying and fishing for sea-run cutthroat.some of you might find my Facebook posts interesting.

14. jasmillo

jasmillo Active Member

I have bought a number of SRC patterns from the Poulsbo shop and none have just fallen apart. I would guess you were wacking them on the beach with your back cast.

I agree 100% w/ Stonefish on the sportsman’s idea. The guy that works there (Saturday’s I think) is really friendly and helpful. When I first started SRC fishing he gave me a lot of good advice. Also, I fished simple conehead Woolley buggers for probably the first year or so after I started targeting SRC. I was very successful with that pattern - in particular olive.

15. Justin Waters

Justin Waters Active Member

Home Page:
    I'm obviously bias on this subject, selling custom flies and a history of working in fly shops (support your local fly shop). However, I do have some insight on these websites about cheap flies. You will see a few websites that sell buck bugs, or cheap flies out there. From the best of my knowledge most of these places source their patterns from the most horrendous of factories in Africa and rural parts of Asia. Work conditions like holding passports, withholding pay, and about as close to slave labor you can get. Many of the reputable (not all) fly companies pay a third party to investigate these places before having flies tied by them. This is one more reason to buy custom or at least buy fly shop patterns. Having ordered thousands of dozens of flies for different fly shops in the past you can hardly get good flies at cost for that price from a reputable dealer. These are kids, and women typically being put into these working conditions... But you might save a couple bucks on flies. This is probably the darkest story not being told in fly fishing.