Pattern SRC Spiderfish

My normal salt flies are big streamers but I was working on prototypes of an Undertaker(ish) spider when I had a flash for a potential searun pattern. This was the result. I wanted to modify some more traditional steelhead/salmon techniques into a baitfishy looking fly. It's fairly small, tied on a #6 low-water salmon hook.

Chester Allen

Fishing addict and scribbler
That is a very nice-looking fly, and I'm sure that sea-run cutts will chow down. I think it is definitely a more traditional pattern, and it will give the fish a look at a new fly.

I think that the fly will not last long -- at least with the gorgeous, semi-delicate materials it is tied with -- in the salt. But that doesn't matter. What matters is whether the fly makes you happy and seduces the fish.

That is a very nice-looking fly, and I'm sure that sea-run cutts will chow down. I think it is definitely a more traditional pattern, and it will give the fish a look at a new fly.

I think that the fly will not last long -- at least with the gorgeous, semi-delicate materials it is tied with -- in the salt. But that doesn't matter. What matters is whether the fly makes you happy and seduces the fish.
Thanks guys.

Yeah, I like tying so I don't sweat having a 3-fish-fly. With rezzies & searuns, catching on artistic creations of my own adds a lot to the experience. The price of jungle cock capes is a bit of a bummer though...

T.

Very nice.
Two questions.
What is the tail made of and am I seeing peacock herl along the top of the body?

Thanks
TC
The tail is made of loose golden pheasant feather, gold and red blended.

The upper wing is three strands of peacock.

The peacok dubbing of the front body is the highlight for me - it is 5 strands of peacock herl woven around fine gold wire using the Alex Jackson method shown in Shewey's steelhead fly book. It makes for a nice looking, yet durable body. The tag is bodybraid with a flexament coating. So, it should be a relatively durable fly, not a clouser but not frail either.

Thx!

T.