SRC's in a Lemon Dill Sauce

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Go Fish, Sep 2, 2008.

1. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

1 ignrorant person = 2 dead SRC
    100 ignorant people = 200 dead SRC
    10,000 ignorant people = 20,000 dead SRC
    I think even those of us not mathematically inclined can see the potential for damage. Well done David, and all others who do take the regs seriously, educate those that you can and report those that are violators.

Just out of curiosity, do you think there are only 10,000 ignorant people, even part time anglers target SRC because they are aggressive feeders and can be reached without a boat in most locations. Ignorant people are not limited to wrongful harvest of SRC so those same ignorant people can affect more than we might be giving them credit for.

I had a friend once bonk a wild silver. After his adreneline cleared he realized his action and he literally puked his guts out in disgust of himself and called WDFW to report his illegal action. Highly commendable, then he was informed that the particular place he was fishing was one of a very few that allowed retention of wild silvers. He was no longer illegal, but he was still sick to his stomach having removed such a specimen from the wild gene pool.

2. Tom Johnston

Tom Johnston Been around a while

Should of thrown a regs book at them and said read this you ignorant illiterate prick. No one should fish with out knowing the regs or whats out there. Its against the law. Who cares if there feelings were hurt. I get mine hurt every time I look in the mirror!

3. Go Fish

Go Fish Language, its a virus

Alpinetrout, I said that (endangered spieces) to get that gals
    attention..... and maybe get her to think before she kills fish
    without even knowing if it's legal or not. I would bet that my
    comment caused her to look up the regs and be more informed.
    Yes I know what I said wasn't true but I sure got her
    attention in a hurry.

4. Chris Bentsen

Chris Bentsen Active Member

Dave,
    I have a similar story. I was fishing a local S. river on Labor Day and a car topper came by with two guys trolling plugs. I asked how they were doing and they said they were fishing for rainbow trout and lifted up a stringer with two 14 or 15 inch SRC. I said there were no rainbows down in the tidal part of the river and that those were protected cutthroat and only catch and release. I assume they believed me but kept on trolling their treble hook plugs. Hard to believe these guys did not know what they were doing. Too bad. They no doubt will catch some of the bigger SRC spawners in the system and eat them.
    :beathead:bawling:

5. hedburner

hedburner Active Member

Mount Vernon, we're the Sketch in the heart of Ska
    The limit used to be 12

6. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Yeah, there are more dufus'es out there than we think. We ran into the same situation recently with "worm fisherman" on a C & R stream. We politely mentioned it was C & R. The reply, "Yeah we know" as they picked up their Folgers can and walked upstream to where we knew were some fine cutties... of 17-20" in the hole. We went downstream crying and bitching. :mad:

7. ChrisW

ChrisW AKA Beadhead

Not sure what river you are tallking about, but that may have been legal. Sad but true. The limit for many westside rivers is 2 trout over 14". Just because cutts are protected in saltwater doesn't mean they get the same in rivers. Cutts only receive blanket C&R protection in Puget Sound. Also the tidal portion of a river does not mean marine area regs. The MOUTH of the river defines the dividing line. The regs are different for different rivers. Here is what they say for the lowest portions of three popular "s" rivers.

SKAGIT RIVER from mouth to Hwy. 536 at Mt. Vernon (Memorial Hwy. Bridge):
    Dolly Varden/bull trout: Year-round Min. size 20". May be retained as part of TROUT daily limit.
    All Other TROUT Year-round Min. size 14". Daily limit 2.

SNOHOMISH RIVER (Snohomish Co.) from mouth (Burlington-Northern railroad bridges) (including all channels, sloughs, and interconnected waterways) upstream to confluence of the Skykomish and Snoqualmie Rivers
    Dolly Varden/bull trout: June 1-Feb. 28 Min. size 20". May be retained as part of TROUT daily limit.
    All Other TROUT: June 1-Feb. 28 Min. size 14". Daily limit 2.

STILLAGUAMISH RIVER (Snohomish Co.) and all sloughs downstream of Marine Drive (south of Stanwood)
    TROUT: Year-round Min. size 14". Daily limit 2.
    Other Game Fish: Year-round Statewide min. size/daily limit.

Don't get me wrong, I am all in favor of Catch and Release and would support improving the regs in this regard. But we shouldn't go misquoting the regs either.

How can you get pissed at someone for not understanding the regs when its clear you haven't read them?

CW

8. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide.

Cranberry Country...a glorified coastal swamp!
    Larry, I hope you did more than just "crying and bitching."

Did you get a description of the perps and phone it in? Try to figure out which rig was theirs back at the parking spot, and record the vehicle description?

Or did you whip out your .357 magnum and shout, "OK Mofo's, throw your worm cans and bait rods down and strip down to your skivvies. NOW i said!" (fire off a warning shot into the ground if they aren't peeling down). "Keep your skivvies on...I don't wanna see your junk! Now wade out into the creek waist deep. NOW!" (Then burn their clothes and stomp on their gear). "Now don't let me EVER catch you using bait here again. And don't even think about ever keeping a trout from here. Or next time it will be worse. I'll be watching!"

So, what approach did you take?:clown:

9. ChrisW

ChrisW AKA Beadhead

Was it C&R and selective gear or just C&R? Not than worm fishers are generally big C&R sports, but unless it was selective gear regs you'd have to see them catch and keep one for it to be a violation- in which case I hope you would report it. After that, a few well placed football sized rocks can sure help to get those cutties out of the biting mood. If you prefer a more passive-aggresive approach, you could act REAL friendly and ask them how the fishing is, and then wade over in their direction splashing wildly, and then fall in and splash like a maniac yelling "I can't swim! I can't swim!":clown:

Call em in though!
    REPORT A POACHER: 1-877-933-9847
    Online reporting: http://www.wdfw.wa.gov/enf/poaching.htm

CW

10. Reefmeup

Reefmeup New Member

I hate those that think the rules dont apply. I hate even more those that believe these animal dont have a right to not just live but thrive. All we can do is be responsible for our own, and set an example.
    My favorite is battle fishing with the rest of the bait chuckers, then being the only one catching fish, then seeing the looks on there faces when I let it go!!! That my friends is a priceless lesson.

11. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

It was Selective Gear rules. Thanks for the phone #. We should have just followed them up to the "honey hole" that we were pretty sure they were going to. I guess we could have harassed them there and scared up the cutts. Then again, I am a little apprehensive about dealing with local redneck trash.

12. Wayne Chan

Wayne Chan Member

Do any of you think the yaker's could tell the difference between SRCs, steelheads, resident silvers, or undersize blackmouths? WTG for educating them on fish ID, though I'd bet they'd still mis-ID the next fish they catch.

13. Mr.E

Mr.E He called me an Elitist ?? LOL ..what a moron

Yes, I'm a Kayak Angler.;) Oh your talking about the poachers in question...my bad. Allot of people will mis ID what they catch. How lenient do you have to be to the ignorance of so many?

14. ralfish

ralfish Active Member

I like your thinking ;)

15. gearhead

gearhead Active Member

Ya gotta be kidding me, what a bunch of PRESUMPTIVE elitist ignorant slobs. GoFish, you have no fking idea what she had, YOU DIDN'T SEE THE FISH, and your just fking guessing. you have no idea what you are talking about and you had no right to try with intent to ruin somebody's day out on the water. there is a ton of fish out there. she could have had anything, including , yes SRC's, but you don't fking know, so shut yerrrrrr pie hole. and yes you are a Dick head. what if i was to tell you that they were both silvers, and that she was simply repeating what her girlfriend told her that she thought they were.