Stacked deerhair question?

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Adam Saarinen, Nov 24, 2017.

1. Adam Saarinen

Adam Saarinen Active Member

Thinking about making a bass bug as another fly for a tying competition i'm in & the amount of deer belly hair I have in different colours is limited! Can i use bucktail for just a coloured circle ring that would then have belly hair in the middle as a spot? If so, should I use the hair from the tip of the tail? Or from the base near the butt? And should i use the hair closet to the tips? Or the hair closest to the tail itself? I have no dying experience & not enough time to learn! Any help is very much appreciated! Happy Thanksgiving! Adam

2. jersey

jersey livin' the dream

My experience is the buck tail "behaves" differently than Belly hair.

You have to try it out... it's has more grip on itself and does don't flair or spin well. Stacking may not be an issue, but the hair texture may not be what you are looking for.

3. Adam Saarinen

Adam Saarinen Active Member

Thanks! I've changed ideas & using a different colour, tried deer body hair once in black before I got some black belly hair, that didn't work well, razor cut different on different hair! Better to keep it all belly hair I think!?!

4. freestonebound

freestonebound Active Member

I've found that what Jersey says applies for me too. If you've ever tied a clouser or other bucktail streamer its good because it doesn't flair.

5. Eyejuggler

Eyejuggler Beech Nut

Home Page:
    The fur at the top is more prone to flair (due to a more hollow construction) than the bottom half (tip) of a "Northern Bucktail", or "Bucktail". Use the top if you want to stack or spin.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2017