Starter shotgun

Discussion in 'Cast & Blast' started by Jerry Daschofsky, Nov 28, 2010.

1. floatinghat

floatinghat Member

"Yes there are those times where birds were dropped at longer ranges but as in fishing some of the distances bragged about are just a bit over the top"

Two completely different things IMO, in sky busting or shooting at bird "out of range" you are risking injuring the bird. Casting or trying to catch fish on a long cast throws different elements into presenting the fly, which adds to the challenge. If you miss the fish chances are it won't be injured.

Three pumps to look at 870, M37, and BPS.

2. wet line

wet line New Member

Floating hat,

The distance some believe they are shooting or casting is quite often wrong and thay was my minor point.

The M37 is a nice gun but for some it is a bit brutal to shoot. I don't really know why but the M37 I had for a short time was not a pleasant gun for me. I would strongly advise shooting a M37 before purchasing. As mentioned fit is important and it is well worth the dollars to have a good gunsmith perform this operation. When fitted properly the gun points where the eye is looking and no conscious effort is required to get onto the bird. Sighting is no longer a factor. Mount the gun, look at the bird start the swing and pull the trigger.

Dave

3. Mayfly Aviator

Mayfly Aviator Active Member

+1 for the 870. I picked one up a couple months ago and am extremely impressed with the quality for such a reasonable gun. I looked at a couple used benellis in the same price range but honestly preferred the 870. I saw that they are going for $250 down here after a $30 Rem rebate.

4. Rick Todd

Rick Todd Active Member

I think steel is indeed lethal in the right hands, at proper distance, proper size and choke. My main problem with it is that it is faster and needs less lead than lead. If you shoot a lot of trap and skeet, you use lead (at least I've never seen anyone using steel at the gun club and for that purpose it would be very expensive for a day of 150-200 targets). I also use lead for all my upland hunting, so when I switch to steel for my rare duck hunt, I don't shoot nearly as well and wound a lot more birds than say quail or pheasant hunting, where I either miss entirely or have a DOA bird. One of my buddies uses steel for everything and he is pretty deadly with it. He doesn't shoot much at the gun club however. As for guns, an 870 was my first shotgun and is very reliable. I have a Mossberg 3 1/2" in camo synthetic that I use for turkeys. Get a 3 1/2" gun if you do plan to use it for turkeys, otherwise, 2 3/4 or 3" are fine for everything else. Rick

5. Scott Salzer

Scott Salzer previously micro brew

I was somewhat surprised that the 870 got such good press. I have used mine since 1972, mostly in the salt, with plenty of mud to gum things up. A very easy gun to breakdown and rinse out in the field - yes, I used salt H2O. Always took care to properly clean after a day on the water. Unless you plan to hunt geese, the 2-3/4 should be just fine. 870 = good starter. It can get a bit heavy if ya spend long days walking the fields.

MB

6. FLGator

FLGator Member

I'm with Roper. Browning BPS with the tang safety, bottom eject and solid performance can be had in your price range if you look and buy used. I've owned one for two decades that I bought used and glad I did. It's served it's purpose. To me it's a much better value than the 870 express.

7. ganglyangler

ganglyangler Bird Dogs and Fly Rods

+3 for the BPS... bottom eject is nice and safety on top. Has performed flawlessly for 16 years now. Picked it up used at a gun shop for $300. Bought my younger bro a wingmaster and it too has been a good solid gun. Can't go wrong with either in my opinion.

8. Rick Todd

Rick Todd Active Member

While I've never shot a BPS-I do like the tang safety and the ability for lefties to shoot it. My left handed nephew has one and it has been a very reliable gun for him. I have a Browning B-80 12 ga and it has been a great shotgun! I actually shoot it better than my Beretta 12 or 20 ga O/U's! Rick

9. Blake Harmon

Blake Harmon Active Member

My first shotgun was a Rem wingmaster 30" full choke cannon, I now shoot a O/U, CZ RedHead Deluxe. And its a great gun for the $$$ and with 26" barrels I am digging it.

10. Roper

Roper Idiot Savant

11. wet line

wet line New Member

Blake,

It doesn't take very long to get use to those short tubes does it! My 1100 Special Field Auto loader sports a 22 inch barrel and it balances so nice and swings so fast. It reaches out just fine! Overall it is about an inch shorter than a double gun with 26 inch tubes. If I get another O/U it will be a 3 inch 20 with 24 inch barrels. I think that would make a sweet decoy gun for ducks and great for upland birds.

Dave

12. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Home Page:
    Roper I wish I could. But still have kids at home and Christmas coming. I really do appreciate it. Why I love this board!

13. Blake Harmon

Blake Harmon Active Member

Dave,

Those short barrels have made a huge difference in the game for me! that and having my springer spaniel's first year of the hunt!

-Blake

14. Upton O

Upton O Blind hog fisherman

Home Page:
    I have hesitated to jump into this, but, shit here goes. If you aren't in a rush, "test drive" a few shotguns. I'm sure there are folks on here who would be happy to meet you at a trap/skeet range and let you shoot their guns. That way you can get a feel for the balance, weight and mount of each gun. I mean, you wouldn't buy a new car or fly rod without testing it, would you? I can't offer any shooting to you because I have one semi-auto loader and the rest are double guns. It seems the guns you are looking at are the 870 and the Browning BPS. I've owned both in the past, however, both are good, solid, reliable firearms and their cost is relatively low. Another issue to keep in mind is, as individuals age, the perceived recoil, especially shooting waterfowl loads, is very likely going to be a factor. If you want a preview of the recoil, shoot the largest load permissible on the trap range, 10 shells straight one after the other and you'll get an idea of your reaction to the heaviest field loads you are likely to shoot. This is just my one and a half cent's worth.

15. Roper

Roper Idiot Savant

Karl has a good point and I could help to a certain degree. I have a BPS in 12 and 16, and 870's in 16 and 28.

Now, where the hell is Graham...just kidding.