Steelhead 101 for dummies....

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by jami_wa, Mar 22, 2006.

1. ibn

ibn Moderator Staff Member

Home Page:
    Steelhead is like crack. You do anything you can to go fish, you'll skip work, bail on your significant other, you'll stop sleeping, your entire week will be spent thinking about steelheading. You'll find yourself driving 4 hours in the morning to fish for 8 hours then driving home for 4 more hours. Just gimme that one hookup, cmon just one, that's all I ask. Then you want more and more and more.

Anyway, it's a lot of fun and a lot of work. You gotta put your fishless time in, learn the rivers, learn the timing. Once you figgure it out and you start to catch fish, boy is it rewarding. Winter steelheading is hard stuff, but that's what makes it so great. Just be prepared for what you're getting into.

Good luck! I'm sure if you stick with it you'll get a fish or two, or maybe more! :)

2. jami_wa

jami_wa New Member

I am waiting for Steelhead to hit the black market at this point..ofcourse people will not be able to hide the fact they tried snorting a Steelhead up thier nose....

Well damn looks like I need new gear eh.....How about that Gear Program huh lol! So, are you saying if by some miracle I got a Steelhead on my line with what gear I have now chances are I don't stand a chance getting it in?

3. Sloan Craven

Sloan Craven Active Member

You could summer steelhead with a 5wt. Just be careful.

4. Norseman1

Norseman1 Spey Fishing the Mighty Columbia......

Jami.

What you may want to try is to attend the Clearwater Spey Clave in Idaho, and drop in to see Mike ( Poppy) at the Red Shed fly shop in Peck Idaho...it's near Orifino. He will let you try different gear before you buy to make sure it suits your casting style. I would highly recommend Spey fishing the two handed rods for steelhead.....easier on the arms and shoulders with the heavier lines and rods, and you can cover one hell of a lot of water with those 100-130 foot casts.

Mike is an awesome guy and he can help a lot. At the Clave you will find MORE than enough helping hands and the Clearwater has some very willing fish on the swung fly.

Sorry forgot the link.

Here it is.
    http://redshedflyshop.com/

The Clave is Sept 23 this year

Best regards
    Paul

5. crobarr

crobarr New Member

a 7 or 8wt. is ideal for steelhead in the summer. a 8 or 9 wt. would be best for winter work. a 10' 8 wt. is in my opinion close to the perfect all around steelhead rod. a nice large arbor real and multi-tip line with 200 yards of backing to round it all out.

a double hander (spey) is another story all together. i've just gotten into spey rods and i'm happy as a clam (why ARE clams so damn happy?). a LOT of advantages to a spey rod. it's hard for me to imagine picking up my single hand rods for steelhead fishing now.

6. Zen Piscator

Zen Piscator Supporting wild steelhead, gravel to gravel.

Home Page:
    Haha, ya 200 yards of baking is a total must.

You can choose two paths, the spey route or single handed. Do some research and decide on your own. Remeber it isnt all about covering water, it is about covering water effectivly.

Peace,
    Andy

7. That's the funniest thing I've heard in a while. Also so true. Good call!:thumb:

8. Hey James...Just so you know, Challenge is my middle name. Just thought i'd through that out there. Go ahead and send it on back if you don't like it. :rofl: :rofl:

9. jami_wa

jami_wa New Member

Sloan- I take you mean becareful because my rod may snap? Norseman1- Thanks for the info, yeah a heavy rod would wear me out pretty quick I think.
    crobarr- clams are always sticking thier foot in thier mouth...so no clue as to why they are happy Joshina-(lol) err sorry Joshina Challenge lol hey wait then why does your name have an A. in the middle??

10. It's a silent A. It also starts 3 letters in. It's really big in Europe, hard to explain.

11. Rich McCauley

Rich McCauley Meiser & Mohlin

Poppys clave is a bit far off, both in distance and time of year. As Jami__Wa is in the Olymoia area she should cinsidder going to SpeyBum's gig in Carnation. Every Saturday Free instructin, free use of rods and lines and a nefarious groop of regulars to keep things from getting too rational

12. Sloan Craven

Sloan Craven Active Member

If you use a light rod. I knwo guys that fish summer steelies on 5wts, but they're old school.
    A clave is a good idea. The Sandy Clave is in May. They will have mostly Spey stuff, but there's usually always one-handed rods too, that can be tested on the water. They will also have some nice instruction by world famous casters.

13. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Another myth of steelheading is that you need a couple hundred yards of backing. Think about this for a second. If a fish has most of your backing out it is well over 2 football fields away. I have been fishing for steelhead for the better part of 40 years and have never had one take anywhere near 2 hundred yards of backing. Most steelhead will take less then 100 feet.

14. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

The fun thing about fishing for them fish with a light rod is that you will be out for fishing for trout(Searun Cutts) and will hook up with a summer run steelhead. That is when the fun begins. I have caught summer runs with small dry flies and a small rod(7'6" 4wt). I also just use a 9' 5wt in the summer and I have had no problem landing fish. I guess it is what is called experiance(sp) on catching. And I have yet had to go to my backing.

Jim

15. wolverine

wolverine Member

Steelhead ruined trout fishing for me years ago. The only trout fishing (other than SRC) that I do anymore is in BC or Alaska. My lightest rod is a 6 wt, but I usually use an 8 wt for steelhead.