Steelhead article in Seattle Times

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Matthew Gulbranson, Mar 15, 2010.

1. Matthew Gulbranson

Matthew Gulbranson Resident Swinger

I noticed this was on the front page of the Seattle Times today:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2011347556_steelhead15m.html

Although it's a well written article, it's sad that if fails to mention the plight of 'the ghost'. He even mentions the WSC, as one of the men in the article is a member, but that is as far as it goes. They had a great opportunity to highlight some important information upon mentioning that all Puget Sound rivers are closed, but they didn't. The article was nicely sugar coated and I'm just bummed that a chance to get information out to 'the masses' was missed here.

Just thought I would share.

Cheers,

Matthew

2. searun14

searun14 New Member

I agree Matthew.

Also, I was disappointed that the little box with its summary information mentioned that steelhead, unlike salmon, can return to spawn many times ... when we know that almost no bucks survive and return to the salt, and only a small percentage of the hens. Somehow this gave the impression that steelhead can just swim in and out of their natal rivers ... and we know their life history is far more complex and fragile.

searun

3. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Home Page:
    Cool, now everyone will be on their way to the Queets

4. jcnewbie

jcnewbie Member

Just a note of caution, Matt....be very, very careful of what you "share" here as it can without any warning erupt into a "politicaly hysterical, mudslinging, accusation, counter-accusation, name calling free-for-all,"....with some precedent of course. :rolleyes:

Good thing we've got Chris to put the lid on things.

Jc

5. Andrew Lawrence

Andrew Lawrence Active Member

Evan and Matthew,

You two pretty much summed up my own feelings regarding this article. While well written, I was disappointed by the fact that it is nothing more than a colorful description of a trip that a couple of people took the Queets River to fly fish for wild steelhead. Considering that the Wild Steelhead Coalition was involved in putting together the trip, it had the potential to do more to make the public more aware of the plight of wild steelhead.

Regards,

Andrew

6. Matthew Gulbranson

:rofl::rofl::rofl: Yes, this is true! That is why I have some popcorn and beer handy, just in case :beer1:

I just felt compelled to do it. So I did. You never know when one small action can trigger the landslide.

7. NomDeTrout

NomDeTrout Fly Guy Eat Pie

Well, on the optimistic side, more publicity for WSC is always good.

8. doublespey

doublespey Steelhead-a-holic

Yeah, now "everyone is gonna head to the Queets".

It's certainly true that the Puget Sound rivers are closed. We're all painfully aware of that.

But the article seems to imply that it's OK and natural for the pressure to be transferred to the OP rivers. Unfortunately, they're in decline as well.

Some fly guides have even stopped booking trips on the OP because they didn't want to put additional pressure on already depleted runs.

This is probably all just sour grapes 'cause I'm headed to the Queets in a couple days and half Pugetropolis' Steelheaders will probably be joining me there to catch a nice chrome hen like the one photo'd in the article. ;)

DS

9. Charles Sullivan

Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

Home Page:
    The very thought that C&R fishing has any effect on the runs is silly. Pressure may effect the fishing but provided it's C&R it won't be hurting the runs a bit. I would say that it is OK and natural for the pressure to be transfered to the OP, except that the fish can be whacked there.

Go Sox,
    cds

10. hikepat

hikepat Patrick

On the up side the artical did talk about releasing the Steelhead and that catching it and letting it go was the thrill and that there was never any though of not letting it back to complete its journy.

11. _WW_

_WW_ Geriatric Skagit Swinger

This comment by Eric Doyle in the comments section should just about sum things up:

12. Bob Triggs

Bob Triggs Stop Killing Wild Steelhead!

Home Page:
    Hooray for Eric Doyle!!!

And by the way... Catch and release fly fishing does indeed have mortality impacts on Wild Steelhead.

13. Matthew Gulbranson

I am glad that Eric spoke up. I didn't see that comment earlier this morning, and he states the case quite clearly.

14. Charles Sullivan

Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

Home Page:
    Of course it does, however every second we spend focusing on it is a step backwards. Ending C&R has never helped a river recover. It never will either.

Go Sox,
    cds

15. Duane J

Duane J Member

I hope I am one of many that will step up and thank Eric Doyle for his constructive observations regarding contents of ST front page fluff story. Where is Steve Raymond who once was an editor that would not allow such shallow journalism to get to the press room. And by the way; catch and release does have mortality impact on both steelhead and resident trout--.Duane J