Steelhead Caviar... here we go again!

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Evan Burck, Aug 19, 2010.

1. JesseC

JesseC Active Member

Btw, who needs to catch steelhead on a fly anyhow? I mean wtf. I think this is a luxury we can go without and still live happy lives.

These debates always crack me up. Pot calling the kettle black.

I'm all for getting the PETA clothes on if an establishment is selling wild steelhead, but until that's determined, there's no reason to get all nuts over a bunch of (more than likely) hatchery drones.

Gilnetting is the real problem you guys should use all this energy attacking. Getting all riled up about one establishment isn't even a drop in the bucket. You might get one restaurant owner to cave, but that's not going to change a damn thing overall. It would be a full time job to track down every restaurant with steelhead on the menu. Are you reeeeeally serious about this or just posturing on the internet forum? If you're really serious about solving the problem this way then start doing your research on suppliers and find every single place in WA that's selling steelhead. Oh yeah, you'll also have to figure out where in the country and world they're exporting to as well. Can you see the futility in this method?

I'm working with a friend in BC who has shot some footage of the salmon farms that have ravaged the native populations up there. He's interested in shooting some documentary footage of the Hoh gilnetting. This idea was originally raised by Jim Kerr last year, but I couldn't pull my friend down here in time. Hopefully it'll happen this year and perhaps we can have something to look at that might be better than harassing one restaurant owner.

I understand the frustration around this - but it's important to be rational and not go ape shit on 1 chef like a bunch of fly fishing thugs.

2. gt

gt Active Member

one battle at a time is the way wars are won or lost. informing a restaurant owner, particularly a guy trying to start a business in these economic times, that he is participating in the extinction of a species is a worthy thing to do.

if you are ready to organize and get 300,000 signatures to get an iniatitive on the ballot to shut this fishery down, i have the language all set to go. just let me know and we can move forward with the bigger question you raise.

3. JesseC

JesseC Active Member

Well here's some to get you all started;

Another local one ---
    http://www.pikestreetfishfry.com/2010/01/fresh-nisqually-salmon-washington.html

Couple in NY ---
    Aquavit65 E 55th St | Btwn Park & Madison Ave $$$$$ 55
    2Lucille's Grill237 W 42nd St | Btwn 7th & 8th Ave $$$$$ 12
    3Mary's Fish Camp64 Charles St | At W 4th St $$$ 56
    4Savoy70 Prince St | At Crosby St $$$$$ 24
    5SD2619 E 26th St | Btwn Madison & 5th Ave $$$$ 17

over 53 hits in Washington alone;
    http://www.yelp.com/search?find_desc=steelhead&ns=1&find_loc=seattle,+wa

another 50 for San Fran
    http://www.yelp.com/search?find_desc=steelhead&ns=1&find_loc=seattle,+wa#find_loc=san+francisco,+ca

27 for LA
    http://www.yelp.com/search?find_desc=steelhead&ns=1&find_loc=seattle,+wa#find_loc=los+angeles

See what I'm getting at? Calling all of these places isn't the solution. You have to go upstream.

4. JesseC

JesseC Active Member

I'm all for that GT.

I think public awareness needs to be raised first. Otherwise, all the tribe has to do is hire a PR person to state "this is about a bunch of rich white fly fisherman wanting to keep the Indian tribe down" and you're tanked.

Once people have some video to actually SEE what's going, the environmentalist attack dog will trigger within.

5. Blake Harmon

Blake Harmon Active Member

Happyness without fly fishing for Steelhead? you must be kidding! :rofl:

6. Creatch'r

Creatch'r Heavies...

i agree with the bycatch statement of gill nets 100%. they dont discriminate. but i think a trip to the sooes river in december would enlighten you to my position on "neah bay" caviar. that river (slough) looks manmade, is less than 3 miles long and the ditch ends at a hatchery ladder bubbling with unclipped hatchery fish. the makahs have a money maker right there and i wouldnt be surprised at all to find out these fish are coming from their operation. i do not know the history of that ditch but i seriously doubt any self respecting wild steelhead ever called it home before the construction of the hatchery.

Sean

7. Chris Puma

Chris Puma hates waking up early

I'd be more than willing to work with some of you to establish a website to educate local restaurants on taking steelhead off their menus. That'd be a better solution than a scathing witch hunt. I'm not trying to keep you from stoning Douglas. I'm just saying that there might be a more worthwhile effort to be had.

8. JesseC

JesseC Active Member

Sounds good Chris. We'll be in touch. A website would be a simple and effective start to a real solution.

9. Kaari White

Kaari White Active Member

Tom Douglas Restaurants replied to my email concerning their use of steelhead caviar. They're going to finish up using whatever eggs they have left and remove it from the menu.

Interestingly enough, they mentioned they monitor the Seafood Watch List that they Monterey Bay Aquarium maintains. A lot of people swear by their list as to what is environmentally responsible vs. not. Steelhead currently isn't mentioned at all on the watch list. WTH? Who can blame them for not knowing they shouldn't be serving steelhead if the "authority" on it doesn't weigh in? http://www.montereybayaquarium.org/cr/seafoodwatch.aspx

10. Blake Harmon

Blake Harmon Active Member

+1 for Tom Douglas Resturants.

11. Paul Huffman

Paul Huffman Driven by irrational exuberance.

Home Page:
    I've asked the Seafood Watch twice by email to weigh in on this controversy. No replies. They just added me to their email list.

12. Dehlan G

Dehlan G Member

Here is the Monterey Bay Aquarium Seafood Watch program email:
    seafoodwatch@mbayaq.org

Lets urge them to get steelhead on their list

13. Dehlan G

Dehlan G Member

Here is the Monterey Bay Aquarium Seafood Watch program email:
    seafoodwatch@mbayaq.org

Lets urge them to get steelhead on their list

14. Chris Johnson

Chris Johnson Member: Native Fish Society

Great stuff guys, information and comunication will often work. Taking away thier market is probably the only way to curtail tribal netting, I don't think the state has any power to regulate tribal fishing.

15. Brazda

Brazda Fly Fishing guide "The Bogy House" Lodge

Home Page:
    I really can not believe that there is someone that claims to be an angler with this kind of a responce,, maybe you need to really be informed before you would make such an anti sportfishing statement, or maybe your NOT an angler. Are you living in a closet?