Steelhead Caviar... here we go again!

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Evan Burck, Aug 19, 2010.

1. gt

gt Active Member

i have been emailing back and forth with the monterey bay aquarium sea food watch folks for almost a year now. no movement on steelhead, interesting.

the WDFW can right now shut down gill net harvesting of anadramous fish, period, impacting ALL gill net users. don't be fooled, there is a lot of power in RCWs currently on the books as well as the authority and responsibilities that the '74 boldt decision laid on the WDFW. want to know whey they are not acting?? ask'um.............the greater the number of sporties asking the commissioners, the greater the probability of action. step up or stop trying to talk the talk.

2. Mark Moore

Mark Moore Just a Member

Happiness WITH fly fishing for Steelhead......now That is irrational!:beathead:

3. Bob Triggs

Bob Triggs Stop Killing Wild Steelhead!

Home Page:
    It has been demonstrated repeatedly on various public forums that the internet activity regarding wild steelhead conservation is having a solid impact on commerce in wild steelhead. When the chefs and restaraunts stop buying the meat and eggs of wild steelhead, then the buyers and brokers take it off of their lists. If they cant profit they dont sell it. Its that simple. Yes it is huge, a nationwide industry, even international- Russias black market on caviar is resting solidly on steelhead eggs. But the effort to curtail sales of these fish is helping. Any effort helps. The benefits of this are having an impact "upstream", in the real rivers of life. The battle to conserve our wild steelhead resources is waged on many fronts. Just because it is daunting does not mean we should fail to try. There is only one truly "irrational" poster on this thread.

4. fodf

fodf Team Umiak

Holy cripes kids..take a deep breath. I'm onboard with Sean. That hatchery, manned by USFWS, is very successful and may have contracted w/Tom to sell some steel eggs for human enjoyment. Don't assume..you know what they about that.

5. gt

gt Active Member

so you head in the sand folks are discounting the bank to bank gillnet sets on the west end rivers which are killing all anadramous fishes, hatchery, wild??????? you do realize that the west end rivers have not met their wild fish escapement goals for well over a decade?? but one hatchery sets it all straight, geez, you guys work for WDFW??

6. Jim Kerr

Jim Kerr Active Member

So, Um, GREAT! Seems like everyone is on board. We are all aware that there are some serious harvest issues, and we would all like to see something done.
    As for this issue yes, I would guess that the Makah have found a market for extra eggs from their hatchery program, it could be however that some native fish eggs from the Hoko get mixed in to the jar, I mean the mouth of the Hoko is right down the rd and it does get gill netted from time to time, along with a bunch of other creeks in the neighborhood.
    Awareness may be a great step, If restaurants asked fish sellers for some clarification on origin it would help, I mean they could lie but we might catch them.
    Everyone here cares a bunch and is looking for a way to help, thats cool.
    Jesse, have you met Jeff? He is a real good guy and really worries about the fish. Jeff, meet Jesse, he also is a good guy and is trying to help us out to do some cool stuff. Maybe you guys should pm and kiss.

7. Jim Welch

Jim Welch Veni, Vidi, Fishi OFFC

Jesse, you mean like Oregon where the drop in sportsmen is causing such a budget deficit due to fewer licenses sold that there is less and less money for conservation?

Dude, its the sportsmen that pay for species management.

8. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Home Page:
    True that.

And to add to that: I would gladly pay an extra fee on my license for an Olympic Peninsula steelhead endorsement like the Columbia River has going on now, as long as that money went to conservation on those streams.

9. gt

gt Active Member

so since everyone is 'on board', how about taking a few minutes and typing up an infomational, rational and unemotional description of just what is happenning and send it to:

seafoodwatch@mbayaq.org

as i have posted, i have been sending them information for over a year without them moving an inch. perhaps, just like pike street fish market, they may take notice if enough sporties start raising THEIR awareness. if they ever list the pacific steelhead, it would be a huge step toward shutting down the market for these fish and their parts.

time to walk the walk folks, start typing.

10. Chris Bellows

Chris Bellows Your Preferred WFF Poster

honestly, i don't get why you think my post is irrational.

i just think trying to differentiate on which type of gill-net caught steelhead is acceptable if f'ing stupid. hatcheries harm wild fish, period. there is no debating that and the non-selective fishing has destroyed wild steelhead diversity while trying to make the case that there is run-timing differentiation between hatchery and wild winter-runs, which might be the case now but wasn't in the past.

we need to dry up the market for steelhead, not just wild. no matter the celebrity level of the chef.

as for filming netting... you should go to the queets instead of the hoh. what the quinault tribe does on the queets is so much worse than what happens on the hoh.

11. shastaski

shastaski Steve Sullivan

Can someone please explain to me how steelhead eggs are caviar, or even how they are different than the eggs in a hatchery trout?
    It seems ridiculous to me to call steelhead eggs "caviar", but maybe I am missing something?

12. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Home Page:
    Because in America, marketing and buzzwords are everything

13. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Home Page:
    Done and done

14. Ryan Nathe

Ryan Nathe Member

Will do, thanks for posting an email.

I had always wondered why they never listed steelhead.

15. Chris Johnson

Chris Johnson Member: Native Fish Society

OK gt, I sent an e-mail. Maybe a good step would be for us to stop killing wild Steelhead, ( statewide wild steelhead release).