Steelhead Caviar... here we go again!

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Evan Burck, Aug 19, 2010.

1. Troutrageous

Troutrageous Active Member

That would be great, but as far as I understand the Columbia endorsement is supposed to support the evaluation those fisheries, and monitoring and enforcement of those same salmon/steelhead ones. While thats extremely important, I don't quite think it fits under conservation.

2. Troutrageous

Troutrageous Active Member

Not that fishery monitoring and enforcement aren't key in conservation, just wanted to point out specifically what that money is for.

3. attack

attack Member

does anyone have a list of well thought out highlights to help in wording this email to the watch list?

thanks

zack

4. Chris Bellows

Chris Bellows Your Preferred WFF Poster

we have a winner!

the problem is that we have management agencies still clinging to outdated harvest methodology and managing these stocks to extinction.

also, as much as i disagree with the tribal harvest, especially the actions of some tribes, we have little space to complain as long as harvest is still open to us. while we as flyfishers are almost unanimously opposed to wild steelhead harvest the fact is that harvest is still open for wild steelhead on almost all the same rivers these fish are tribally harvested. i still think pressure on businesses that sell steelhead is an important first step, and we are doing a good job on this. having them listed as unsustainable would be great.

as long as we cling to low escapement levels that are 5-15% of historical run sizes.... we're screwed. as long as we continue to support hatchery programs that promote harvest of the most endangered segment of the run... we're screwed.

5. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

This is a great thread. I don't think that anyone with passion truly is irrational at all. There are a bunch of valid points here raised by a bunch of very concerned folks. I've met, fished with and exchanged messages with many of the names in this thread and believe that each of those folks are really concerned. The fact that we can sit here and challenge what each other say is a very good thing. What that does is make us open a dialog that might get a bit of attention from more folks. I have sent my email off requesting that wild steelhead and products from wild steelhead be listed so that those responsible market and restaruant owners that watch the list can see it and change their offerings. We do need to get organized. We do need to get wild steelhead retention outlawed. We need to find a way to get our co-managers to stop gill netting. We need to find a way to get commercial bycatch reduced. We need to consider what river systems need to be closed because of seriously depressed stocks, and get them closed. I don't really have the first clue as to how to do these things, but at times I've been considered pretty high energy. I don't mind putting some of that energy into these beautiful fish. Thanks to all for some very positive interaction to get this subject front and center.

6. Blake Harmon

Blake Harmon Active Member

Im an eastsider. Blew me away when I heard that you can keep one Wild per license year on some wetside fisheries.
    Just seems like that is a huge leap backwards when compared to the effort and $ that is put in conservation,

I suppose if your a guide with 3 clients, that could mean 3 wild fish. Only takes a few boats and before ya know it, BLAMMO, you got yourself a buncha dead Native Steelhead. tragedy.

7. Sean Beauchamp

Sean Beauchamp Heavies...

emails sent. thanks for the address, i'll get all my buddies to send one out as well.

8. Brazda

Brazda Fly Fishing guide "The Bogy House" Lodge

Home Page:
    Wow,, been on the river too much and checking in. It seems we have great momentum on harvest issues. We need to keep it up on every angle realistically possable this is another over harvest issue to squelch and it is attainable with some hard work. Seems the E-mail attack is on the move count me in we have interested parties in these issues.

9. gt

gt Active Member

mumbles, there are lots of organizations, some very old and some very new to this state who all talk the talk. what is missing is action. if you recall, i was able to get our local PSA chapter to ask the WDFW commissioners 3 straight forward questions, of course we have no response but that is exactly what i expected. what has happened in the last couple of months is 'the reelnews' has picked up those 3 questions and re-published them, once the full text of our letter, the second go around in the editors column. if you so choose, you'all might drop editor goergg a quick email and thank him for keeping these questions front and center:

thereelnews@comcast.net

i looked into getting the entire letter published in the PI or Times but a full page, once on sunday, ad would have costed 20k which is well beyond our small chapters entire budget so having 'the reelnews' pick this up is significant.

i have also looked into the iniatitive process. unfortunately, the number of signatures needed is based on a percentage of the last gubitorial election. that amounts to about 300,000 valid signatures submitted, a daunting task. while we have had some interesting and at times heated discussions on this subject, what my language does is stop the sale, for commercial purposes, of all wild anadramous fishes in this state. close the market, and perhaps, stop the killing.

maybe once the bar is lowered for signatures, we will move this agenda item forward. until then, all of us are obligated to keep the heat turned up on the WDFW commissioners as well as the governor. while this task seems insurmountable, one battle at a time, one victory for wild fish and who knows maybe this generation of folks will succeed in having something for your grandkids to marvel about.

10. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Home Page:
    Is there a place I can see this letter?

11. gt

gt Active Member

12. Derek Day

Derek Day Rockyday

Dear GT,

It's not a state issue. The innitiative preocess can do nothing. Nor can the governor. Habitat restoration and research are the only real places to make moves forward. Plus, the tribes would be handing the state's ass to them in court before you could blink an eye. Wrong route, going after tribes legally. Public relations could have an impact, however.

What is your innitiatve plan anyway? I don't know how you could do anything through that process. Given how hell bent you are on this issue, I would think that you would have done some research on the subject. I'd think you would have come to the conclusion that it's fruitless by now.

13. attack

attack Member

debbie downer,

just cause you dont want to try doesnt mean you should bash others trying to make a difference...if you have better ideas how to go about this im sure everyone else would love to hear them

14. Bob Triggs

Bob Triggs Stop Killing Wild Steelhead!

Home Page:
    Caviar is a recipie for pickling fish eggs. Cavier is made with many fish species eggs all around the world, Sturgeon egg Caviar is very popular. Steelhead eggs being used for Caviar is having a very damaging impact on some runs of wild steelhead.

15. gt

gt Active Member

sure thing derek, i have done my homework, had the language reviewd by 2 attoneys, good to go. the state CAN regulate food fish, period, makes not a whit of difference your ethnic background. of course WDFW can also shut down harvest methods, go read the RCWs, overnight. that means they can shut off all gill net fishing by the end of business TODAY. if you read the entire '74 boldt decision, you will also see that WDFW is charged, legally, with the preservation of fish stocks. that is wide latitude to actually manage for the future. you may be more interested in finding out just why WDFW has not persued either legal charge.

for my time, 'we the people' have only one alternative, the iniatitive process. got a better idea??? well now post it or just keep talking the talk.