STEELHEAD COMING SOON!!!

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Bob Triggs, Dec 16, 2008.

1. Ethan G.

Ethan G. I do science.. on fish..

I gave him a piece of my mind. Mutha F**ka
    -Ethan

2. Eric Tarcha

Eric Tarcha gear whore

This is F*&KING unreal!!! I'm sending a shit storm his way...

3. Tim Lockhart

Tim Lockhart Active Member

:eek::beathead::rofl::hmmm:

4. herl

herl Member

I emailed the chef directly at cheftony@visionsbethesda.com

I'd encourage others to do the same.

Scary thing is that this must mean the tribes are marketing their wild catch all over the country. Do you think this DC restaurant's contacted them? More likey they are cold calling restaurants all over the country trying to off load their 'product'. Wonder how many more are serving wild steelhead.

edit: I just figured out (I'm slow, I know) that the Jim Chambers guy is the one peddling the fish and the one with the connection to the tribe - looks like he's the real problem child.

5. Eric Tarcha

Eric Tarcha gear whore

My letter:

To Whom it May Concern:

As an avid fly angler and wild steelhead conservationist, I am appalled at the idea that a group such as yours whose mission is to :

"To harness market forces around the globe in support of ocean conservation."
    would consider the state of wild steelhead as sustainable or would even consider buying and selling gill netted wild steelhead to restaurants. As you should be aware, a vast number of steelhead populations in the Pacific Northwest are considered endangered and on the brink of extinction. These populations have been reduced to a fraction of their once historical numbers by over harvest, habitat degradation, poor hatchery practices, construction of impassable barriers to migration, and misguided management strategies. Netting of wild fish by indian tribes has also contributed to the decline of wild steelhead populations. Any practice that encourages the killing of wild steelhead, espeacially by a so called conservational organization such as yours, including the purchase of wild steelhead from the tribes to distribute to restaurants, is fundamentally hipocritical and disturbing. Evidence to the contrary, provided on this blog http://blog.visionsbethesda.com/2008/12/03/steelhead-coming-soon/, indicates that Seaweb disagrees with this statement, and that you obviously believes that the wild steelhead populations from the olympic peninsula rivers are not under duress. I hope your group will do more dilligence on the matter and reconsider this practice. If you need to find resources or data please contact the Wild Steelhead Coalition or the Costal Conservancy Association (http://www.wildsteelheadcoalition.org/index.html or http://www.ccapnw.org/) as they would probably be more than happy provide these items.

Sincerely

Eric Tarcha
    --
    Eric J. Tarcha, Ph.D.
    Principal Scientist,
    Preclinical Development
    Kineta Inc.
    307 Westlake Ave. North, Suite 200
    Seattle, WA 98109
    (206)378-0400 ex.104
    etarcha@kinetabio.com
    www.kinetabio.com

I sent this to:

jroberson@seaweb.org,
    info@seafoodchoices.com,
    mboots@seaweb.org (I think this guy is the director of the organization)
    and jim@primeseafood.com

and I copied the CCAPNW and WSC too. Hopefully this will spark something.

6. Todd Robbins

Todd Robbins Wishin' I was fishin'

I sent a message as well...
    :mad::mad::mad:

7. Dottiesdad

Dottiesdad Member

Might there be some local media outlets (TV stations, newspapers, radio stations) in their market that would benefit from a tip and some education?

Nothing like Ol' Mike Wallace and the 60 Minutes crew on your front porch with lights and camera blaring, stuffing a microphone in your face and asking, "Are you still serving endangered species on your menu? And, are you still contributing to the extinction of some of the last wild populations of native fish in this country in search of a little profit? Yes or No, Yes or No? Answer the simple question 'Yes' or 'No', will you"

DD

8. Jeremy Floyd

Jeremy Floyd fly fishing my way through life

I shot them a short sweet email this morning asking them to question their business ethics of serving "buttery flavored" endangered species..

9. hookedonthefly

hookedonthefly Active Member

I would be willing to bet some of these guys had know idea.

Personally, I think the blame lies with the indians. Just gotta catch the very last one.

Ed

10. Jeremy Floyd

thats WDFW's motto too imho..

11. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide.

Cranberry Country...a glorified coastal swamp!
    Thanks for the alert, Bob. I'll write 'em a little something to help educate them.:beathead:
    Wonder how the fish farmers will react to having their product described as having the texture and taste of cardboard?:rofl:

12. Smalma

Smalma Active Member

Something to remember in your comments is that in the food trade "wild" really means not reared in fish farms (net pens). In this case hatchery fish returning to the rivers would also be marketed as "wild" as in grown in the wild.

Yes I realize that large numbers of true wild fish are caught and sold but to be effect in protesting it always helps to have facts and terms correct. Are we protesting that there is tribal commerical fishing or that they are harvesting natually produced steelhead

It may not be a bad strategy to in addition to protesting buying the naturally produced fish that those providing "wild" fish in their restaurants look to using fin clipped hatchery wild grown hatchery fish. Focusing on that sort product would not only have the table quality of other wild grown fish it would encurage extending the idea of selective fishing to selective providing a product for the restaurant trade. Might even end up encouraging the tribes to mark their hatchery releases.

Somehting to think about.

Tight lines
    curt

13. Eric Tarcha

Eric Tarcha gear whore

Just a quick update, Rich Simms and Todd Ripley of the WSC have responded to my email and there have been calls put into Jim Chambers on the behalf of the WSC for some education on this subject....

14. Jeremy Floyd

Any fish taken through non selective harvest methods, but most especially those that will include endangered species as a by-catch, are unacceptable...

Washingtons draconian version of strip mining..

15. doublespey

doublespey Steelhead-a-holic

Good! The less I see of this on the OP rivers the better.

Attached Files: