Steelhead (farmed) at costco

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Buck, May 12, 2008.

1. James Mello

James Mello Inventor of the "closed eye conjecture"

I've never really noticed the fish at the market being soft. Is this a freshness thing? Are they pre-frozen/defrosted repeatedly?

2. Be Jofus G

Be Jofus G Banned or Parked

The farmed stuff from costco that I have bought in the past has generally been soft compared to wild fish. Not sure why but I imagine the fishes diet and lack of stressing their muscles has something to do with it. Freshness or the processing method may be involved as well.

3. Steelheader

Steelheader Only 3 more years until I can think like a fish.

It's all good with Tony Chachere's and butter on the BBQ.:D

4. James Mello

James Mello Inventor of the "closed eye conjecture"

Hrm.... I haven't bought the Costco stuff yet, mostly cause I usually have enough wild caught to keep us in fish, but I'm thinking of giving it a try.... At least I'll know what's up if it's soft then :)

5. ak_powder_monkey

ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

I would imagine Hatchery Steel and wild steel don't taste too different, I mean nobody seems to mind that 10% of copper river reds are hatchery produced...

6. agent montana

agent montana This Must be a sickness!! MARINATE!!!

You know it's really funny what a bottle of scotch, and a keg of beer can do to the most finicky eaters at a summer BBQ...

7. ceviche

ceviche Active Member

To return to the original thread...

If you think you have an issue with farmed steelhead at Costco, I recently dined at Le Gourmand in Ballard, and they had steelhead on the "prix fixe" menu. I ordered halibut instead.

Yeah, like, most people are going to dine there at the level of $$$ you're going to encounter there (10th year anniversary for Margaret and I speaks for itself). Still, I gave them the "riff" on wild steelhead, as well as thoughts on farmed steelhead (Rainbow versus Steelhead and the problem of farming anadromous fish in estruaries). As it turned out, the steelhead was wild and obtained from someone with some kind of grandfathered license to harvest. Upon finding this out, I affirmed my discomfort about killing wild steelhead and went with the halibut.

I am hoping they will refrain from putting any steelhead on the menu in the future. They're supposed to be the Chez Panisse (Alice Water's restaurant in Berkeley, CA--a very excellent place to dine! A tad spendy, though...) of Seattle. You'd think they would know better, eh?

--Dave E.