Swap Steelhead Files on Tubes

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Ed Call, Dec 21, 2010.

1. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

TMIB, you are so far ahead. Fish tomorrow, mail them after that. Take tomorrow as a good karma fishing day and see what the results are...trust me.

2. Tracy Lauricella

Tracy Lauricella Active Member

This is a bit off-topic from the thread, but I thought I'd report back. I appreciate the well-wishes for my outing, but the results were very poor. It's rare that I'll say this, but I would have been better off staying home. After an hour drive, I got to the river and found it to be really crowded. All my usual spots had a half dozen or more gear fishermen lined up in the runs. I went to my backup spot, and it was full of guys there too. (fly anglers this time) so I explored a bit and found that most of the river was pretty much the same. Eventually I settled on a section that was a little more away from folks, where I'd not fished before. I got out in the water and discovered that apparently over the last week I'd forgotten how to make a decent spey cast. I floundered about a bit trying to get my line where I wanted it and eventually got a decent cast in. About 3/4 of the way through the swing it got caught on a rock and I broke off my fly trying to retreive it. I repeated the process after tying on another fly, and managed to hang it up and lose it as well.

I moved downstream a bit, hoping to avoid whatever it was I hung up on- (my casts were still really poor at this point.) I lost fly #3 for my efforts. I went to replace the now-short tippet and discovered that I was out of tippet material to replace it with.

So after only an hour I was done. However, I was now only 20 minutes away from the office. I decided to save a vacation day and go into work.

I'd like to say this is the first time this has happened. Unfortunately that's not the case. I can make beautiful spey casts over and over one day, then the next get completely befuddled and the whole thing turns into an exercise in frustration. I've spent well over $1000 on spey gear, and it doesn't seem to be doing much for me except keeping me from fishing effectively. I think I'm going to go back to my single-hander, and just fish lighter flies. I'll also pack my gear setup in the event I get into a situation like today, where the runs are dominated by gear guys.

3. Steve Saville

Steve Saville Active Member

Don't do that, Tracy. Go back up for some more lessons from Aaron on the Snoqualmie Day on the River. He can diagnose what you are doing incorrectly and fix it.

4. ansas

ansas The Good Ol' Days are Now!

If it is still open, I'll make up some-0-dem tubes.
    I'll do a Thunder & Lightening/Willie Gunn type pattern.

5. Ed Call

Tracy's flies are in and if you are not in this swap you should be. Freaking amazing TMIB, really great work. I also believe in Steve, great advice. There will be days when a two hander will be the tool to use, even if it is not your strongest suit. Aaron and/or Mike and their free clinics are the place to be.

Ansas, you are in. Who else?

6. Ed Call

Bump bumpity bump. Six on the list, six spots remaining. Happy New Year all, time to get down to rolling some steelhead tubes for the winter.

7. Kerfwappie

Kerfwappie Member

Anybody ever try using plastic Qtip tubes? I've been playing around with tube tying lately, kind of making it up as I go. I'm tying on Qtip tubes and using my bodkin as a tying mandrel. It seems to be working okay, no slipping to speak of. These are my first attempts at an Intruder, using whatever materials I could scrounge up. I'm curious how the tubes will hold up to use.

Eric

8. Ed Call

I cut the cotton covered tips off Q tips and tie some of my topwater patterns for the salt water. I don't use them each outing, but the tube seems to handle the rigors of salt water fishing just fine. My horrible beach back bash casting does not seem to destroy them.

9. Tracy Lauricella

All the flies I tied for this swap were on the plastic q-tip tubes. They seem plenty strong enough, and $2.99 for 500 tubes is hard to beat.

10. Ed Call

I did not look that close at what tubes they are on, but they look awesome. No reason to think these won't catch fish and won't last.

11. eric.carlson

eric.carlson New Member

Sounds like fun, I will give it a shot.

I am a complete noob at tying in general, much less tying on tubes, so I will go with a simple Blue Moon Conehead.

12. Ed Call

Welcome Eric. Glad to have you.

13. Ed Call

Seven? Really only seven tyers willing to roll out some tubes? I'll leave it open a touch longer then we'll close and get down to business. Tracy is already done. He gets to determine what gets done with the extra flies. He sent 12. If all tie 12 I can randomly give everyone a few of the spares, or we can just tie the number for who's in and I can send his extras back to him.

14. Tracy Lauricella

Well if there are 7 tiers including me, and I sent 12, give everyone but me 2 of my flies. I don't need my own flies back.

If we add more people, then take one from the last person to sign up and give it to the newest person to sign up (so for example, if we have 8 tiers, 5 get two of my flies, and the last two people that signed up will each get one fly of mine). If we continue to add more people, continue this pattern.

No big deal however you do it, just make sure that all my flies go to folks that are participating, I'd rather folks get multiple flies from me than getting my own flies sent back. I can always tie more after all.

15. Ed Call

Cool, I can do that.