Steelhead "Fishing"

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by North 40 Fly Shop, Feb 25, 2012.

1. Brett28b

Brett28b New Member

This is the way many people "fly fish" for steelhead in the north east great lakes tribs. Although "chuck and duck" with lots of lead is not my thing it seems to be very effective. This weekend while swinging an intruder i got snagged on some old line. When I finally pulled all of the line in i found 6 large split shot about 8 inches above a treble hook.

2. Charles Sullivan

Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

Home Page:
    Very true Brett28b. I moved 3,000 miles to swing. 10 years ago there was no one swinging on the Salmon River. A few people would swing Erie trib's. It may have been the only thing that these anglers really knew.

Go Sox,
    cds

3. Benjy

Benjy Active Member

You're in Idaho. I'm surprised there aren't guys bow-fishing for them.

4. LyNcH

LyNcH Steelhead Junkie

If it's your first trip to the Salmon River, summer is not the time to come. The SR is a very productive river from mid-September to first week of May. The water gets to warm in the summer months and the steelhead have returned to the lake. For salmon, go between the 3rd week of September though the 2nd week of October. For steelhead on the SR, last 2 weeks of October through November, and April are the best times to fish for them.

5. SpeySpaz

SpeySpaz still an authority on nothing

I think the original post had merit. The premise is that if guys get all duded up and spend many dolares on top-notch flyfishing gear to look like competetent FFers then they should display the requisite streamside ethics.

Sigh, the world isn't perfect. It's not a reasonable expectation.

6. Sir Castalota

Sir Castalota New Member

The most odd thing to me is how much the spey communtiy ( In general, not all , but the masses who frequent the interwebs it seems )cares about what others are doing when it relates to different methods- No other faction of angler out there really gives a shit about them, but they are so concerened as a whole with what everyone else is doing it's pathetic - I'm as serious as anyone about this twohanded swinging game for stellhead as anyone, but no way am I a "Spey guy" . Just spend some time on the speypages, the " land of friuts and nuts " . They are way too screwed up to be taken seriously - Hell, there's a thread over there about some idiot who's pissed about what some guys clothing choices are, what a joke-

7. SpeySpaz

SpeySpaz still an authority on nothing

the world isn't perfect. It's not a reasonable expectation.
    what matters is how you treat the fish, the river, and folks you meet while you're there.

8. bhudda

bhudda heffe'

friggin snaggers........

9. Sir Castalota

Sir Castalota New Member

Amen to that fella ;)

10. Codioos

Codioos Active Member

Last year I landed a buck with a nasty lead-lined treble hook in his back. Snagging seems to be the common form in Idaho rivers:mad:. Heck I once saw someone pull up to an occupied fishing spot and the person started to throw a weighted hook from the road over-top of the present fisherman.