Steelhead flies you gotta have....

Chad Lewis

NEVER wonder what to do with your free time
Gonna start fishing for winter steel in Eastern Washington soon. I'm kinda new to the steelhead game, so what flies are "must have"? Will be using a spey rod. I'll be tying all the flies, so if you have a link to a pattern or a tying video, that'd be awesome. All flies welcome- wets, dries, wakers, skaters, etc.

idahokid

David Willey
Orvis's website has a great selection of what steelhead flies are.I go to Northwest Outfitters and they pic them for me.lol.I use a floating line with a 6' poly leader.3' of 0x tippet.I use wolly buggers,Big black stone flies.I also use dark colors with pink mixed in.There are so many to choose from.Cabela's has a nice selection to look at also just to give you an idea of what they look like.Hope it helps.

Jim Darden

Chad....hate to burst your bubble but....pick some flies that look good to you and fish them. If they give you confidence, you will catch steelhead. You just have to cover enough water to find a willing fish. The fish do hang a little lower in the water column in winter but that is about all you need to think about. Don't get hung up on THE fly. You will develope your own preferences as you go along. I tie pretty artsy/craftsy flies because I think the fish deserve it but I'd probably do just as well with a woolybugger.....

luv2fly2

do you want to look good or catch fish? dont get me wrong i love to skate and swing but if it is fish you want then go down with glo bugs, beads and madisons specials. i have only fished the columbia, methow, tucannon, ronde, and clearwater with some success. swinging and skating is always first unless the water temp is below 40 degrees and then i go down. hope i was of some help. just keep doing lots of fishing and trying everything from top to bottom and it will finally be there. good luck, mike w

Chad....hate to burst your bubble but....pick some flies that look good to you and fish them. If they give you confidence, you will catch steelhead. You just have to cover enough water to find a willing fish. The fish do hang a little lower in the water column in winter but that is about all you need to think about. Don't get hung up on THE fly. You will develope your own preferences as you go along. I tie pretty artsy/craftsy flies because I think the fish deserve it but I'd probably do just as well with a woolybugger.....
This is the best advice thus far. Start with an egg sucking leech black or purple, and get'r down to the bottom.

idahokid

David Willey
It's all about putting in your time and keep your fly in the water.Keep it simple.Keep coming back and don't give up.It works if you work it.

Old Man

Just an Old Man
There are too many experts here. Just use a WB in black or olive and you should be good to go.

Fishing for Steelhead isn't rocket science. If a WB doesn't work try a Green Butt Skunk.

Salmo_g

Chad,

It doesn't matter what fly pattern you use for winter steelhead in eastern WA because there are no winter steelhead in eastern WA. Sorry. However, if you want to fish for summer steelhead that are still hanging out in eastern WA, then any of the patterns recommended so far will do, but I never go fishing for summer runs without my box of Spade flies.

Sg

freestoneangler

Not to be confused with Freestone
Seconded, also black and chart., in various sizes. I recently got turned on to Scott Howell's Bantam, those things are money in water that is low and clear.
... Scott Howell's Bantam... no can find with quick search. Prom Dress, yes, but no Bantam?