Steelhead flies you gotta have....

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Chad Lewis, Dec 3, 2011.

1. Craig Pablo

Craig Pablo Active Member

Home Page:
    No that is not a term you use for duct tape. Really? it's 2011, leave the stereotypical racist stuff behind like 99% of the civilized world...

2. generic

generic Justified

Really? I work for tribe and was told that by about a dozen Native Americans. So it's only funny if they say it right? Some of my good friends are Native Americans. If you want to be over sensitive that's your choice, in the meantime I'll laugh along with my friends.

3. Craig Pablo

Craig Pablo Active Member

Home Page:
    Yeah yeah, black people call each other the "n" word too. Still doesn't make it right, and indians perpetuating stereotypical stuff like that isn't right either. It's how we have been part of the problem in keeping ourselves oppressed since european contact. So to answer your question, no, it's not only funny if they say it. In fact it's less funny, even sad when they say it.

4. Chad Lewis

Chad Lewis NEVER wonder what to do with your free time

Okay, I get it. So I tie and fish whatever the hell I want. I'm gonna like this steelhead fishing.

Now I'm gonna peace out and roll with ma' honkies, yo'.

5. generic

generic Justified

You know, maybe that's what the problem is. Us white boys telling other ethnic groups what they "should" and "shouldn't" be offended by. Can you think of anything more humiliating or "racist"?

We are "apparently" smarter, in that we "the white man" have to explain to them when something is racist. Why don't we let them decide on their own. They've fought to hard to get where they are at...without us controling how they should feel. Remember, they were the ones that told me the joke in the first place. By the way, some of them have master and bachelor degrees.

Chad, have a blast man! Lot's of great advice too. Some that I've even forgot how simple it can be sometimes. Steelhead fishing can do that to a guy. I think I have about $1500 of material that I will never use, because I've narrowed down the patterns I tie to about 4 or 5.

6. Codioos

Codioos Active Member

^Truth^

7. rory

rory Go Outside

Home Page:
    Let me know when you catch a steelhead and what kind of fly you used. I would like to see someone else new succeed.

8. Fishee

Fishee Active Member

size 8 Silver Hilton for summer Steelhead

9. Olive bugger

Olive bugger Active Member

There is iron in the words of the savvy chief, OMJ. What could go ever go wrong with a wooly bugger? If all else fails, use the pink worm.

10. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

Toss in a different perspective here on 'fly choice.' Some of the most effective I've found are Atlantic salmon patterns (on double hooks where legal) such as the Flamethrower and Cascades 'close to the salt' and the Willie Gunn higher up a stream. These things have been consistent producers of hook-ups. If a 'double hook' is legal, the fish just touches that thing and you've got him.

11. Phil Fravel

Phil Fravel Friendly

G_Smolt nailed it.
    It is all about line management ​

12. Olive bugger

Olive bugger Active Member

A little wiggle in the pattern will not hurt a bit. No wonder marabou and artic fox are so popular.

13. Golden Trout

Golden Trout Active Member

Clear Water = Burlap, Semi Clear Water - Black , Not Very Clear Water - big Purple. Move the flies the same speed you move an object that makes a cat attack the object, no slower, no faster. Cover water that has fish in it.

14. golfman65

golfman65 Guest

I try and change it up...If others have gone through before me, I go smaller..If I'm on a gear river and know the fish have seen pink worms all day...I'm going small again and dark...When the weather is warming I think "food"...
    Sat. on a small flow that thanks to a local "blog" fish shop up north..was over run with low holing gear guys...I had been fishing some Alex jackson style skagit flies but switched to my go to "bully" fly..something in a completely different color...Did the A.H.E. Wood swing through the higher colored water next to a seam and bingo...nice little wild steel came to play....Something very gratifying about pick pocketing gear guys..

15. dreamonafly

dreamonafly Active Member

For me it's all about " The Cocktail Shrimp" from Orvis.. Ask Leland, he will tell you why..

All the fish I caught have a little orange and a little black.
    Those were my favorite corkie and yarn too, when I use my spinning rod..

I guess the moral of the story is fish whatever you have with confident and stick with it, it like work, it will payoff some day, with your fish, and when that happen, you a believer in that one fly, for awhile, than you will start to experience with other pattern and color..

Somehow I alway come back to something familiar.. Good luck