Steelhead Fly Fishing For Dummies....

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Jason Decker, Oct 14, 2005.

1. Jason Decker

Jason Decker Active Member

Home Page:
    If there is such a book, I need to read it! :clown: I am a very proficient trout angler and now I am being schooled by the elusive searun brethren of my favorite fish, the rainbow trout.

Ok, I am starting to get extremely frustrated :mad: :beathead: :beathead: and have decided it is time to ask for HELP. I am focusing on Fall City/ Carnation areas of the Snoqualmie River.Under ther bridge, David Powell Road, Tolt River at Park in Carnation...

Anyways I have been trying for sometime now to actually catch a Steelhead and somehow I either catch a skunk, fall in and get wet, or catch a humpy...:beathead:

So if any of you would be so kind, either give me suggestions:ray1: :ray1: or even better. Meet me on the river!!?? If any one puts ME on a Steelhead/fish, I will buy you dinner and beer at one of the bars in Fall City afterwards:beer2: .... and I will give you props on WFF.com:thumb:

I regularly fish every Tuesday afternoon - evening...

Jasonbawling:

2. chadk

chadk Be the guide...

"If any one puts on a fish,"

If I pick up a dead humpy and put it on my head, does that count?? Or are you actually going to listen for the fish to see if it says "come on, you're putting me on". OK, lame humor. Sue me.

You might just start trying to SRCs. There are some nice ones out there - and you always run the 'risk' of hooking a steelie in the process...

At any rate, if you ever fish weekday mornings, I'd be happy to wet a line with you. Perhaps I can show you some new water...

3. Porter

Porter Active Member

There is such a book......and it would not surprise me if someone from this board wrote it...because when it comes to Steelies almost everybody looks dumb at one time or another.......mostly when others are around to view.

4. Wayne Jordan

Wayne Jordan Active Member

It's all about time on the water... Focus on one river and learn it like the back of your hand.

5. Big K1

Big K1 Large Member

I agree with Wayne. Time on the water. Hang out with people who catch fish and listen. It is the little things that will make you more productive.

6. Sloan Craven

Sloan Craven Active Member

I could use a book too. I've been hanging out with people for a while now, that know hoe to steelhead. BUt its like there's some big secret out there. Do I need government clearance before people will tell me how to catch a steelie?

7. Sageman

Sageman Member

Best book is Trey Coombs, "Steelhead Flyfishing," but it doesn't replace personal experience.

8. VancouverFisher

VancouverFisher Lucky if I get out anymore!

9. Steelie Mike

Steelie Mike Active Member

Home Page:
    Several years ago I met an elderly gent on the Metolius that told me never to fly fish for steelhead. Once you catch one, you never want to catch anything else. Well that pretty much describes it. Over the last several years I have wandered more and more toward out anadramous rainbow friends and have had to learn the hard way that I will never get the numbers that I once got when I fished for trout. Well I still fish for trout, but in all honesty my skills have declined because I have been swinging flies more often than casting dries.
    In approx fifty outting this year in both Southwest Washington, Central Oregon and Portland area streams I have caught only five fish. Now I have hooked a few more, but they of course do not count. I think the key is just practicing like you do when fishing for trout. The more practice, the better the chance at finding and landing a fish. This incldes experiemneting with patterns, reading water, swinging flies, spey vs. single and even at time nymphing.
    When you find a good book of fishing for steelies, let me know. Also guides like Steve Buckner can also increase your skills and teach you how to read water. Just be sure you research the guide before you drop the money on them. Good luck! :beer2:

10. Jim Fitz

Jim Fitz Member

I have a copy of Advanced Fly Fishing for Steelhead by Deke Meyer and really like it. Purchase price does not include any guarentee to catch a SH but it is full of info for advanced SHers and dummies a like. Good discussion on a wide variety of topics that is simple educational for someone (like me) who is just starting out. Great photos from all over the northwest.

A book can't catch a fish but it is worth reading and drooling on the photos when the rivers are blown. I have been meaning to pick up Trey Combs book for some time. Seen several endorsements here and there.

Jim

11. Wayne Jordan

Wayne Jordan Active Member

I agree with all of you guys, I tend to be an info junky. When I moved out here 3 years ago I just started reading everything about steelhead that I could find. Steelhead fishing techniques are no more difficult than fishing for trout, or any other fish I've ever fished for. However you have to figure out what techniques are appropriate for the season, water flow, river, weather, etc., this is where a lot of anglers get stumped. You also have to realize there aren't steelhead holding behind every boulder, but when you figure out which boulder they are holding behind you can usually find them there on a consistent basis throughout the season.

12. South Sound

South Sound Member

Orvis's Streamside Guide: Steelhead. It is basic. Has a ton of pictures and scenarios, and is well written and thought out. Trey Combs book is alright. It focuses a bit too much on specific rivers and the lore of steelhead. (Don't get me wrong I like it, but for what you are looking for it just does not fit). I also have the advanced steelhead by Merker. It may be just a bit too advanced for a beginner. (However, it is an excellent source that I would purchase over comb's book every day of the week.) I would start with orvis's guide then to Merker if you like steelheading.
    Hope that helps.

13. South Sound

South Sound Member

Orvis's Streamside Guide: Steelhead. It is basic. Has a ton of pictures and scenarios, and is well written and thought out. Trey Combs book is alright. It focuses a bit too much on specific rivers and the lore of steelhead. (Don't get me wrong I like it, but for what you are looking for it just does not fit). I also have the advanced steelhead by Merker. It may be just a bit too advanced for a beginner. (However, it is an excellent source that I would purchase over comb's book every day of the week.) I would start with orvis's guide then to Merker if you like steelheading.
    Hope that helps.

14. TomB

TomB Active Member

As others pointed out, Steve Buckner's article is great if you intend to catch a steelhead on the swing. However, if you just want to catch a steelhead, nymphing eggs is probably the easiest way to catch your first steelhead. I would also focus my efforts above falls city because most of the fish left around are hatchery fish staging tokul.

Good luck,
    -Tom

15. TomB

TomB Active Member

double post sorry