Steelhead - hookup/landed ratio

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Wayne Kohan, Jan 2, 2007.

1. Tim Garton

Tim Garton Member

I'm one for one. And that one was many months ago. :confused: I think I'd rather be one for twelve and at least know I knew how to get into fish. Then I could worry about landing them. :hmmm:

2. Will Atlas

Will Atlas Guest

side pressure with the rod low to the water. I dont point with rod at the fish, because its supposed to be exerting the pressure. Like zen said, pulling fish up through the water column is a quick way to loose tension and therefore loose the fish, so if you are fighting a fish with the rod tip really reduces the chance of landing it. Finally when they jump keep some tension, they are usually shaking their heads mid air so if you keep tension with the rod tip low you're likely to keep the fish on the hook. But hell what do I know, I'm o-1 this winterseason myself, but it was hooked in real slow water so I never really had it on good.
    Will

3. Wayne Kohan

Wayne Kohan fish-ician

Thanks all for the comments. Last year I broke many of them off when I got them close to shore, but I learned it was because I would point the rod at the fish to pull it in and the line would break. I'm better this year as I've not broken any off.

It sounds like I just need to keep the pressure and tension on them. Sometimes I don't seem to recognize that they are coming at me quick enough to pick up the slack.

I really like Curt's idea - I think I need to practice more. Could you all e-mail my wife and let her know?:D

Wayne

4. DanTennant_22

DanTennant_22 chasin' steel

I think that it is just like a slump for a baseball player, people think to damn much and it gets in the way being sucessful. At least that is my experience. an 'over-thinker' as Colin Cowherd would put it.

5. Paul Huffman

Paul Huffman Driven by irrational exuberance.

Home Page:
    My percentage landed was real low when nymphing eggs. I could see that I had them hooked right in the end of upper jaw. Not very soft there. I'm going to try the downstream sweep to set the hook that Zen talked about in his article. And I switched to Gamy glo bug hooks. But now I can't get a bite to try out these new ideas.

6. TomB

TomB Active Member

swinging i would say i end up landing right around 50% of the fish I get takes from...now if they are on for more than 4 seconds, i would say it is closer to 75%. That being said, i have been watching this post closely, because immediate jumps are still stumping me. I hooked one the other day near the end of the swing and it more 6 ft to the side and then launched itself out of the water...i maintained pressure but the second it hit the water the line came loose (not broken off)...oh well. Got one the next day to make up for it.
    -T

7. HauntedByWaters

HauntedByWaters Active Member

I find that I NEVER get broken off with Maxima Ultragreen on any fish as long as I re-tie knots and leader that is chaffed. I also find that I get much better hookups with stinger hook type flys which makes a lot of sense. I have been thinking of adopting stinger version of everything with tiny hooks.......Fighting the fish with your rod tip sideways is a MUST it will reduce fish loss dramatically!

8. espja

espja Member

There are days when you can't do anything wrong. You will survive the runs through the sticks, log jams and white water and still land your steelhead.

But then again you can have days where nothing comes to hand and your just a clown out there with waders on.

I was the latter last Saturday. God thought I was funny and blessed me with witnessness too. ;)

Joe

9. COREY S

COREY S New Member

Wow, there is lots of good input. I have had plenty of lost fish, all seem to be heartbreakers. The way I was able to turn things around, turned out to be the most simple thing you can do. When I hook a steelhead, I start to run down stream like forrest gump. I look like a tard, stumbling down river, but the short is that it works, period. Lets say that the hook is stuck in the tip of the nose, hooks will work themselves out even with the best set and ninja skills. If you are able to position yourself roughly forty five, or more down from the steelie and work on keeping this angle until the fish is beached then if the hook looses its hold, where is it going? Yep, in the corner of the mouth where you will have a hard time loosing any fish. This may seem odd but playing a fish down from yourself is a easy way to loose them. I know this sounds too simple, I assure you that if this becomes your practice your land ratio will improve.

10. Zen Piscator

Zen Piscator Supporting wild steelhead, gravel to gravel.

Home Page:
    When the fish eats super soft/in slow water on the swing, do you guys set hard on it right away or just baby the fish. I have lost a fair amount of fish swinging because I think I never really got a set because of the soft hit and me thinking they were trout or suckers.

11. HauntedByWaters

HauntedByWaters Active Member

"they were trout or suckers" Unless the water is REALLY cold I think this is the case. Every steelhead I have ever caught slammed my fly. This may be because I only fish certain types of water for my head, riffles and tailouts, and often expect and get dollies in the slower stuff. Also, 90% of my steelhead experience is on west side rivers.

12. Mulligan

Mulligan Stephen Mull

I am new to the steelhead game, but the fish I hooked this past fall all (on the swing) hit the same way: just felt like my line stopped on something. There was no big take. I have heard winter fish (especially the brats) hit much softer.

A question, how does one set the hook downstream as has been mentioned? I cannot visualize this. I understand playing the fish from downstream, but if I am swinging from upstream, how do I set the hook downstream?

Stephen

13. Zen Piscator

Zen Piscator Supporting wild steelhead, gravel to gravel.

Home Page:
    Stephen, we are talking about setting the hook downstream when you are nymphing. In nymphing your line is almost always upstream/across from you.

With swinging, being the worse of the two techniques :rofl: (jk), it is not to set directly downstream of the fish, but I like to sweep my rod across/downstream towards the bank to bring the fly across the fishes mouth into its jaw.

A good way to practice this is to fish for shad.

14. TomB

TomB Active Member

with soft takes, often they seem to hook themselves when the turn, but if they are pulling and dont feel hooked yet dont hesitate to slam that metal home.

15. Mulligan

Mulligan Stephen Mull

Ok, that makes sense. I haven't tried nymphing (for steel) yet, I guess I don't really want to (catch fish). Or...caught fish swinging and can't imagine going the other way.