Steelhead Lines?

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by kjt111, Oct 26, 2005.

1. kjt111

kjt111 Member

I'm in the process of setting myself up to get into fishing for steelhead and salmon this fall/winter and had a question about lines. I've already decided I'm going with an 8wt rod. I'm guessing that most of my fishing (at least initially) will be on rivers fairly close to Seattle (e.g. Sky, Sno.)

Right now, I probably can't afford to buy multiple lines/spools so if I were to pick one line type, what would it be? Floating? Sink Tip? Something else? Or am I just kidding myself and really need to make a bigger investment?

Thanks!
    Kevin

2. FT

FT Active Member

Kevin,

Get yourself one of the interchangeable tip 8 wt lines on the market, you will be happy you did. These lines have floating and and least 3 different sink rate sink tip, packaged together, have factory loops for changing the tips, and allow you to effectively fish most steelhead lies at the proper depth, and you can do so without the need for extra spools or reels. Yes, they cost a bit more; but the versitility more than makes up for the little additional cost. Besides, such lines are a lot cheaper than extra spools filled with extra full length lines.

3. Bert Kinghorn

Bert Kinghorn Formerly "nextcast"

You will do much better both financially and from an angling efficiency point of view to consider starting with one of the multi-tip lines currently available from most major line makers. They all include a variety of tips in floating and various sink rates that you can change using the loop-to-loop connectors spliced into each tip. Otherwise you will likely be buying (many) more lines rather quickly to cover the fishing could not do on your last trip. Bite the bullet, do it now. Gas and time are too valuable to make a trip even to a local river only to learn that you cannot be effective in the rivier conditions at that point in time.

I'll leave it to others to suggest their favorite brands.

4. Greg Miller

Greg Miller meat-head

I am in agreement with the multi-tip lines. I have one for my 8wt but the line just cracked after 5 years of use. I was thinking of getting a Teeny200 but decided against it. I will be replacing it with another multi tip.

5. Pontooner

Pontooner Member

Just a heads up, I saw Orvis has a sale on there multi-tip line. It is regularly like $140ish and its on sale for $77. I dont own one so I dont know how good it is but it seems to be a good way for someone to get a multi-tip line without breakin the bank.

6. James Mello

James Mello Inventor of the "closed eye conjecture"

As an alternative, if price is a consideration, there was a long thread on making your own multi tip system. I've yet to do it, but I've started by getting a cheap floater all looped up. Now I'm just waiting for the Rio sink tip line to get here after ordering it online. Here is the link to the thread :)

So before the Versitip, how did folks do it?

-- Cheers
    -- James

7. Porter

Porter Active Member

SA Ultra 4 Sink Tip #3 about 37.95 at Outdoor Emporium this would be my second choice. SA Supreme Sink Tip 3 would be my third choice (about 28.00 same place) First choice is what was recommended above...kinda like biting the bullit at first but dodging the $$$ fired at you later. One reel one line.....no extra spools etc.

8. Ringlee

Ringlee Doesn't care how you fish Moderator

Anadromous Advantage is a sweet line! Little spendy but It cast really nice and has 4 tips. A full sink, 1/2 sink 1/4 sink and floating. The lines are a portion of floating with a sink tip on it. Check it out.

9. Jim Fitz

Jim Fitz Member

kjt,

I was in your shoes last year. Went to my local fly shop and they tried to trick me into buying an expensive multi-tip line. I saw through this ploy and bought a type 3 sink tip - with 15' head.

I am now about ready to chop off the head and turn it into a multi-tip myself just to get the verstatility. Wished I would have just bought the multi-tip in the first place.

10. Porter

Porter Active Member

Yeah 90% would say same thing