Steelhead Nymphing Article

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Zen Piscator, Mar 14, 2006.

1. Zen Piscator

Zen Piscator Supporting wild steelhead, gravel to gravel.

Home Page:
    Haha...thanks Steve.

The camera is a water resistent pentax option 3200. It's a good little camera but I yearn for a digital slr. Gonna start having to get paid to finance something like that.

Paul, I have had the same delima as you, here was my solution. Take off the indicator, keep that 15 foot leader and tightline the flies through the slot. I know quick release indicators have been mainly used in stillwater fishing, not sure about moving water apps. but I think they might work.

The knot i use is not a traditional double uni knot. Rather, it is like 2 snell knots but instead of snelling on the hook shank, you snell each one to the line you are attaching it too. It seems to work well and is a fast tie for me.

Peace,
    Andy

2. crobarr

crobarr New Member

long leaders and short rods= step back and get some room, and use a tapered leader. 5-6' of 40# stiff mono+ 4-5' of 20#+ 4-5' of tippet (i use 8#). leave a good 10' of line out for the mass needed to roll your leader/fly to the surface. snap-t gets you back out after the dangle. may need some/more/bigger split shot to compensate for the leader drag.

that's the only way i've been able to throw such a rig on my 8.5' 6 wt. until i learned some spey casts, i could only use such a rig off of a cliff. lmao! give it a try.

if there's a better method i'd love to hear it because i look like a chimp with a buggy whip when i'm doing this... ;)

3. Porter

Porter Active Member

Good Job Guys...Great read and educational........:) :)

4. Mingo

Mingo the Menehune stole my beer

No, but the dumbass never wore safety glasses. Flying shards of metal, flying pencils from unruly kids hopped up on Fig Newtons and flying Ninja Stars creatively crafted by yours truly from leftover sheet metal finally took their toll on poor Mister Edmiston. He now resemblers a pirate or one of the Chihuly boyz..................I'd post a pic but people might ralph :rofl:

5. Ian Broadie

Ian Broadie Flyfishing is so "Metal"

Home Page:
    This is a great article ptyd , being a relative newb' to fly fishing this answers alot of questions I didn't even know I had, since the rivers were totally tatered during the prime time I had to go out, about nymphing.

I've book marked the article and will come back to it periodically for refreshers as I misinterprate the the appliation of what you guys wrote. :beathead:

One small note (Working from top to bottom) the 5th and 9th pictures both return 404 errors when you click on the picture. Just thought you should know :cool: .

Thankx for the great read :beer2: .

6. Desmond Wiles

Desmond Wiles Sir Castaline

Good job guys! So was this one of your A+++ school papers?

7. Chris Scoones

Chris Scoones Administrator Staff Member

Fixed

8. smc

smc Active Member

xlnt - thanks

9. Mike Danahy

Mike Danahy @#)$%# river otters!

great article, may use some of that info this weekend on the coast!