Steelhead:Nymphing or Swinging

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by McQ, Feb 7, 2008.

1. g_smolt

g_smolt Recreational User

Why is it that when steelhead nymphing is brought up, folks automatically assume that indicators and heavy lead are used?

And why is it that when swinging is brought up, folks start to squeak about tradition and history?

Some folks jus' need to fish more, I guess.

For those that swing and bitch, here is one of your Deities chatting about fishing spoons on his two hander, among other things...Ed and Fishing.

Long rivers with many different types of water CANNOT BE COVERED IN THEIR ENTIRETY BY JUST ONE OR EVEN TWO METHODS.

Y'all need to just be happy there are fish to fish for, have fun catchin' them, and quit steppin' on each others dicks.

IMHO, and yes, YMMV,
    Mark

2. HauntedByWaters

HauntedByWaters Active Member

I stand corrected :eek:

I guess fly fishing/gear fishing......no difference at all.

3. JT FLyfisher

JT FLyfisher Mazama Trout Guy

I agree with Ringlee. Be confident in your own endeavors, worry less about other people and what they're doing. Where does the bitterness come from? Think about that before attacking other people.

If they're having a good time, isn't that what it's about?

perhaps a little less time typing in the forum and more time trying to be more accepting.

Good times... no wonder fly fisherman are seen as elitist and snobby, because of people like McQ. give it a rest...

4. HauntedByWaters

I agree but I have to bring up an irony about this stuff as I percieve it:

Isn't the fact that there are all these people that refuse to pick up anything but a fly rod to fish in and of itself elitist?

That is why I feel the guys casting gear on fly rods are the ones that are elitist, because they want to catch something on the fly rod and only on the fly rod for whatever gains the medium of the fly rod provides, whatever those may be. I base this statement on the common belief that fly fishing is a self imposed handicap.

I personally feel that if more fly junkies picked up a gear rod every now and than it would ease a lot of the tentions in our fishing community between gear guys and fly guys and serve as an eye opener for BOTH.

I suppose that is the underlying reason for my continuing the beating of the dead horse in this thread; I have met so many fly junkies with no experience using any other method other than fly rods. While there is nothing inherantly wrong with this, I think it leads to all sorts of confusion and condescention, that in turn, gives us all the elitist image.

5. Chris Puma

Chris Puma hates waking up early

you sir, are a true master of prose. i couldn't make up the stuff you post.

6. yuhina

yuhina Tropical member

Home Page:
    I had conversation with other fishermen/friends on the riverside.

A. said, I dry fly fishing all day, did not get a single bite. I am satisfied.

B. said, I dry fly fishing all morning, did not get a single bite then I switched to nymphing, then pick up few fish. A good day.

On the other day, I had similar consersation with other two handers.

A. said, I swung a wetfly all day did not get a single bite, I enjoy it.

B. said, I swung a wetfly all morning did not get a single hit, then I switched to eggs and indicator. I got some fish. What a day.I think most of people I read here are belong to B types.

I have lot's of respect to A types fisherman. But I know I am a B type fisherman for sure.:thumb: I also know Chad is with me!:) For some reason, I enjoy the adaptive strategies of FF... can you spin a fly without split shot? maybe not...well... you can put a flyline in a spin reel and you still can cast them I guess...

If steelhead and trout can vote... They will say "Dryfly and Waking fly Only! Gentleman"

7. Abel1

Abel1 New Member

I could care less! Many of you sound like a bunch of spoiled brats. Why do so many feel like they need to get into someone elses head. Like you all are all knowing and perfect. Shut the hell up. I fish for me and I can care less about you. Good luck.

8. HauntedByWaters

:p

9. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

If you can care less about us, why are you posting in this thread? You could leave us elitists and innovators alone to beat this horse until the flies and maggots won't have it.

Sg

10. yuhina

yuhina Tropical member

Home Page:
    Ha ha ha ha ha ha.....

Salmo_g
    You are one of the reasons that I love this board. :thumb:

11. HauntedByWaters

LOL ME TO

12. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

:D

The funniest part about these dumbass threads is you could repost this same subject in two months and get another 5 pages of the same worthless responses. :ray1:

13. HauntedByWaters

There are a lot of things that concern me and get a great deal of my brain time that ARE completely worthless to some and not so much to others.........like fly fishing.

14. chromeseeker

chromeseeker Where's the Bucket?

I think a lot of these "innovations" people are using lately to catch steelies with the fly rod (split shot, balloons as strike indicators, etc., many times with a spey rod :confused:) are probably closely tied to the fact that our wild steelhead populations are dying and what we're left with are a bunch of pellet-head infested rivers where the fish don't bite worth shit unless you practically force-feed them.

There are a couple of winter steelie streams I fish that are 100% wild and the fish are so aggressive, even in water temps below 40 degrees, that if I swing through the run and don't get a grab, there simply are no fish around. Is that being presumptive? Maybe. But the wild fish are just so much grabbier, it's hard to dispute. So, I think the increased pellet head:wild fish ratio is partly responsible for the "innovative" fly fishing methods discussed here.

But fly rods, first and foremost (especially spey rods) are CASTING tools. If I'm going to be lobbing lead or bobbers, I'm reaching for a better tool for the job--a spinning rod. Just more pleasurable to use and MUCH more effective.

CS

15. obiwankanobi

obiwankanobi Active Member

For all the nymphers......