Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Steelhead Nymphs- from my personal collection, tied by the Zen Piscator

5K views 40 replies 15 participants last post by  dominic7471 
#1 ·
36 steelhead nymphs from my collection tied by me. Proven fish catchers, proven on all corners of the state and into Idaho and Oregon. Tied on the highest quality hooks, all flies are weighted except the eggs patterns. Reinforced with double whip finishes and either head cement or super glue. This is a cross of my personal flybox, my favorite patterns that I reach for first when chasing steelhead all through the season.

6 Golden Stone/Skwalla Pat's Stonefly size 6

6 Black Pats Stonefly Nymph size 6

12 Prince Nymphs size 8

2 Steelhead worms, Pink size 4

6 eggs (as seen in dozens of Olympic Penninsula steelies (see Ibn's gallery)

4 Cabellero eggs (as seen in dozens of south western washington steelies (Steelie Mike's gallery)

$100

box not included

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Geez, Andy! Nice flies. I had to come over here to give them a look-see. No wonder they moved. They sure look buggy and fun. And nice speel, too. Very smart in mentioning where the patterns have proven themselves. I'm certain the buyer(s) felt the nudge. Nothing like truth in advertising. You Da Man.

#7 ·
These arent just any nymphs. they are tied by THE zen piscator.

#9 ·
haha quit hating. Hes getting paid to tie flies, thats not unheard of. Its obvious these flies produce fish, and confidence in the fly your fishing is essential to have success on the river.

#10 ·
Big,
Some people don't tie flies and some of these patterns are not avalible in shops.

Many shops sell larger flies like these for 3 bucks a pop. The several people that have ordered from me seem to not find these too expensive.

Now either buy some dang flies or GIT outta my SHOP. This is no soup kitchen.
:D :D

#11 ·
I tied flies for thirty years, and intend to tie again, but just right now I flat out don't have the time. Also, Zen is right, you can't find some of these patterns on the open market.

But......... and this is a big but...... I have an even more wicked plan.

Gotta think strategy, folks. So here goes........

ZEN'S BUSINESS PLAN, EVEN IF HE DOESN'T KNOW IT YET.

1.) Zen ties and sells a few flies to chumps like me. Makes money. Aha! A way to support his fishing jones. So he ties more.

2.) This keeps him off the rivers, and Steelhead populations start to rebound. The fish biologists are scratching their heads, because they can't statistically tie it to anything, but we at WFF know............

3.) Zen's flies are so popular that he can't go fishing atall anymore, but just has to stay on the bench. Tie, tie, tie.

4.) Labor costs being what they are, Zen figures he has to move the operation offshore, so moves to Bali. Cheap labor, exotic fish, and beautiful women. LOTS of beautiful women.

5.) The now dramatic rebound in Steelhead populations continues to confuse the fish biologists. Washington flyfishermen love the inexpensive and very high quality "Zen" flies. Zen is now rich, and lucky for us, safely offshore. We catch way more fish. Zen catches way more girls.

Anybody got a PROBLEM WITH THIS?

otter

G
#13 ·
man are you hurting for money? your staring to turn out like john metcalfe selling his waders and old ichiro autograph for a rod and reel fund.... but then again he was selling his autograph for $550.00, no wonder why he hasnt sold it yet...

#19 ·
Now either buy some dang flies or GIT outta my SHOP. This is no soup kitchen.
I was just lamenting the fact that fly prices are out of control, and I was just trying to be funny, at least it sounded funny to me, I guess my humor was lost on a couple of you guys. I know this is a habit that cost money and I am so glad I tie my own flies 'cause at 3 bucks a pop I could never afford to keep the habit going the way I do. In some rivers I could lose that whole box of flies in a weekend. Besides, this board is a place where most of the stuff goes at a deal not full-pop retail. Obviously you sold them right away so somebody is willing to pay the $$ so they must be worth it. They are obviously great flies and as I have used similar flies for years -espcecially the rubber legs - clearly somebody is going to catch a lot of fish with them.

OK now on the topic of the "shop" thing, since you mentioned that word it got me thinking this part of the board isn't supposed to be a shop, it's a classified ad for used equipment. OK so you're a college kid with ties to the webmaster and the washington FF community so everybody is willing to cut you some slack and that is totally cool, I'm willing to cut you slack just as much as the next guy. But I do have some advice for you which you can take or leave. What you may not have realized is that you have crossed a line here...selling goods that you produced for a profit is a different ballgame than selling used gear. You can either to do it legit, with a business license, tax id#, the works, or you can fly "under the radar". Going legit could save you a lot of trouble in the long run, it's crazy how the IRS will go after the "little guy" if they get a sniff of what is going on. I've seen it happen to a good friend of mine who had a small cabinent making business and it was not pretty - the garnished his wages for 10 years even though he was only making $50k a year for a few years on his business. The chances are very small it will happen to you but...... especially if you are thinking of doing the FF shop thing long term at least look into going legit. If you are already doing this my apologies I really am just trying to help.

Now I don't pretend to know anything about this, but if someone were to for whatever reason fly "under the radar" with any kind of buisiness, they might want to do it in a way that isn't documented, like on a public website where sales transactions could be monitored or documented.

#20 ·
Personally I don't think Zen has sold any flies at all yet.

He says he has, but that is part of the sales gimmick - to make it look like his flies are 'in demand'. "I have a few more left, but ACT NOW to get your screaming deal on this magical flies!!"

... at least that's what I'd tell any IRS guy who comes knocking....

Oh, and Rory, once your gallery is filled with fish after fish after fish like Zen's is, THEN you might be able to sell a few flies ;)

#21 ·
This is easily the best thread that's ever been in the Classifieds.

Zen, you've got kahunas man, and the fishing acumen to back it. I say go for it little bro, and if you need legal counsel to get you off the hook I'm your man, and will charge the most nominal of retainers of one 12 wt Nautilas reel with extra spool, which I would gladly lend back to you when you go to the tropics or chasing tuna. Such a deal for you Andy. Welcome to the world of overhead! :beer2:

#23 ·
Hey Andy I was just trying to help, like I said take the advice or leave it. If you think it's a good idea to sell stuff on a website where everybody can see it then hey more power to you. Just keep it small scale or I guarantee you it will come back to get you some time:

http://www.irs.gov/compliance/enforcement/article/0,,id=106778,00.html

The funny (ironic) part about it is they actually pay people to snitch on each other. Those guys at the IRS are the devil I tell you.

#24 ·
I'm gonna give you bad ju-ju if you snitch on me! If I make over 500 a year doing this then I will consider getting documentation or whatever, but I beleive its legal if you keep it under a certain amout...600 the last time I checked which was a while back...

Peace,
Andy

#25 ·
Hey man I would never snitch on you. Believe me I am in your camp, I just wanted you to think things over before you get yourself in trouble. There are some real wack jobs out there and they look for stuff like this. Just be careful, that's all, the information is out there to know what you have to do for your own business. Seriously good luck to you, I mean it. You are obviously very talented at what you do and you are going to go a long way in your career. And you tie some awesome flies. Thanks for listening. And sorry for starting all this seriously it just started off as a well-meaning joke that's all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.