Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Steelhead Nymphs

7K views 46 replies 25 participants last post by  fredaevans 
#1 ·
For those of you who don't have an objection to nymphing for steel... what are your go to flies? Looking to fill the boxes and I need some ideas!

#34 ·
No objection here. I've tried stones, princes and other buggy nymphs and never hooked up with any steelhead, not saying they don't work, they just haven't for me. I've caught most my steelhead on eggs, just a matter of what size and what color.

Attachments

#35 ·
Hey IBN, quite an egg factory there!

What is the goo in the cutoff pop cans?

Is it paint and you dip hot glue eggs in it?

Care to share your technique?

#39 ·
Heheh

Reminds of my buddies who have their secret roe recipes they won't share with me.

#41 ·
Can't help you much because I only swing dries on a floater long belly and a 15 foot rod..........but if I were to ever nymph I might use one of these :thumb:

OR the "dirty dirty ringlee special" Sick fly by the way chris.

Oh and no one said the egg sucking bunny leach.... probably one of my best anytime anywhere any method flies. Including dead drifting it.

#43 ·
Well IBN, after carefully observing you photo I think I figured it out. I kept asking myself why you would be using cutoff aluminum cans like and than it dawned on me.

#46 ·
The answer is easy, steelhead like cheap beer like some of the rest of y'all. He's soaking them in Busch Lite.

#45 ·
Nymphs for steelhead? Heck I've been having great luck nymphing coho, chum, and ****** springs on the Vedder. Spey rod, AFS floater, X-fast poly leader, and anything buggy (even got some on some ugly golden and green stones). Great for the pocket water.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.