Steelhead Nymphs

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by SteelieD, Nov 5, 2007.

1. HauntedByWaters

HauntedByWaters Active Member

WORD

I HATE casting indicators and the kinks in my leader, and the inability to fish well far away...........UGH!

Great looking nymphs though.....I will have to nymph some with a sink tip :)

2. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

Of course I do it silly. Not All water is swinging water, and besides-- it's fun.

3. Mark Bové

Mark Bové Chasin tail

Home Page:
    Panhandle admitting is the first step to recovery. You have made a lot of progress in this thread.

4. SteelieD

SteelieD Non Member

Thanks guys. Good stuff. I started with the copper john's (w/ rubber legs) last night in several colors and sizes. Tonight I'll tackle some others. Jeremy, since your so dang quick with those eggs, maybe you could just tie me a couple dozen and send ‘em my way! ;)

Mark, would be stoked to get out and fish w/ you! Beers are on me. :beer1: Let me know what your schedule looks like when you get closer.

Thanks again!

5. FT

FT Active Member

What about some of the flies of old like the BURLAP and SILVER HILTON, or Bob Arnold's SPADE and the many variation of it? Or even the old WOOLY WORM? These are really nothing more than nymph type flies for steelhead, although I will grant that they were not tied with lead eyes, cone heads, beads, or turns of lead under the body. They were still nymph type flies that were designed and tied expressly for steelhead fishing on the swing.

6. Eric Tarcha

Eric Tarcha gear whore

so let's really add fuel to the fire.....

(as I am sure it has been discussed before) Do you guys throw nymphs with spey gear, and if so, what type of setup would one use...

I would think you could throw nymphs with tips and swing, but don't think that would be as effective as a dead-drift. I suppose a floating tip and weighted nymphs could work as well...

7. ak_powder_monkey

ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

Franks fly, sparkle shrimp, polar shrimp, green butt skunks, and flesh flies all come to mind

8. mike doughty

mike doughty Honorary Member

Home Page:
    i haven't caught near enough steelhead to have a go to pattern, but i do tie up princes, eggs, etc.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

We use spey rods on the Methow when nymphing. Just like swinging, it's far more efficient with the two-hander. With a yarn indicator and double nymph a simple double spey and redirection gets the job done with a simple flick. You follow the same leader length standards you would with a single hander, but adapted to the dimension of your rod length. So.... when using a 12 footer, I would use a tapered leader form 8-10lbs 11-13 ft long.

10. Zen Piscator

Zen Piscator Supporting wild steelhead, gravel to gravel.

Home Page:
    I love nymphing with the spey. I usually used a balloon as an indicator because they are so light. Its also a great system because you can use less weight to get deep than with a single handed rod because longer drifts can give you more depth. Mending is also killer with this system, if you can get a hold of a long belly line things improve even further.

11. luv2fly2

luv2fly2 Active Member

we need more of stuff like post #23. i made a copy of each one and will share it with my fly club. thanks, mike w

12. rainbow

rainbow My name is Mark Oberg

Home Page:
    I want to see whats in Zen's box. He has a lot of nice rubber leg's stones and prince's. I like black bead headed stone fly's.

13. Ringlee

Ringlee Doesn't care how you fish Moderator Staff Member

I'm a believer!!! I watched Matney just own some runs on the Hoh. He would cast way up stream and let that thing drift and drift and drift. Mending is so easy! I'm sold on my 8110 Sage switch rod with the indicator taper on it. I have used a Windcutter and it works pretty well.

14. SteelieD

SteelieD Non Member

15. ribka

ribka Active Member

Prince with rubber legs and an egg fly called crystal meth or sucker spawn and yarn indicator.

Just returned from Alaska fishing Anchor and Deep Creek for steelhead and did quite well with these patterns. Fished crystal meth for years on the Great Lakes streams for steelhead