Steelhead Question

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Jason Decker, Jan 28, 2006.

1. andycarey

andycarey New Member

Academic, intellectual pedantry: In the 20+ years I've been fishing, it seems the distinction between "fly fishing" defined, for my purposes here (you don't have to agree) as the presentation of an imitation fly (adult or immature stonefly, caddis, mayfly, mosquito, etc.) with a line that provides the casting momentum and "regular" fishing defined as presenting any lure or bait with a spinning, casting, or cane-pole rod with a line-end weight providing the casting momentum and presentation determined by lure weight and design or accessory bobber,-- the distinction has been blurred to where there is no dividing line at all, no norms, thus no ethics, only laws. Years ago, nymphing was presentation of a stonefly, caddis, mayfly nymph imitation with an upstream cast or the Leisenring lift; now it seems to be referring to a bobber ("indicator" is the euphemism) and heavily weighted jig lobbed out into the current with the floating fly line helping the bobber to float ... heck, why not add a worm, salmon egg, or some scent? The self-imposed limitations on gear (and thus effectiveness and the need for superior skill) used by fly fisherman of yesteryear did lend itself to feelings or moral superiority that may or may not seem justified depending on one's point of view. Reading Haig-Brown, jock Scott, AHE Wood, etc., I'll feel a little gut wrenching when they talk about killing so many fish...fish caught with those old fly-fishing methods, which even back then extended "flies" to imitations, even abstract imitations, of prey fish.

The main legal question now is whether those waters set aside from the main limit bait (that includes scent), weight on the end of the line, weight in the line itself, etc. etc.

2. ssickle1

ssickle1 Slow and Low

Scent doesn't matter for steelhead. They are either force fed by nyphing, driftfishing ect or pissed off by something. Spend some time pitching spinners and you'l see what I mean. unmolested stelhead will absolutely crush a spinnner.

Needless to say I don't use scent when flyfishing nor bait when drift fishing.

3. speyforsteel

speyforsteel Degenerate Caster

EGAD .smear some on the indicator then ram it home ,it may not catch fish but it will sure smell fishy.

4. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Why bring this subject up when you know that it is not done in flyfishing. I only mostly fish in fly fishing and selective gear waters and no bait is allowed. By adding scent it is the same as bait fishing. So why did you bring this garbage up in the first place.:(

Of all things I thought that when you switched to fishing with the fly you got all of that other types of fishing out of your system.:(

Keep it pure as it should be and read your regs once in a while.

Jim

5. Jason Decker

Jason Decker Active Member

Home Page:
    there are some guys who cross over gear and fly. it's not too far fetched to think they don't keep the tackle box next to the vest.:hmmm: to be honest, i haven't gear fished in 12 years since my grandpa passed. my desire to gear fish died with him.

to answer you, it's just a question Jim. the answers are quite the lively bunch:eek: .

:thumb: thanks to you, I always read the regs! thanks for weighing in on this.

As far as I can tell, most of the threads started lately are boring, no real posts or reports........... :rolleyes: gotta keep the blood flowing, the air fresh and have some freaking fun! maybe chris can ad some background audio music.... theme music for our site! (REM Shiny Happy People?):clown:

jason

6. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

I wish there was a smilie for sticking your finger down your throat. It would fit in the thread.:( :( :( :( :(

Jim

7. Jason Decker

Jason Decker Active Member

Home Page:
    jim, you just made me spit up my beer.

8. chadk

chadk Be the guide...

"resident grouch".... why do they call him that??? :)

9. cuponoodle breakfast

cuponoodle breakfast free bird

Not another one of these threads. As long as it's legal, who cares? A little smelly jelly on a fly isn't going to make the fish take it any deeper.

10. tightlines

tightlines New Member

Maybe I am way off on this, but most steelhead flies don't seem to resemble any kind of imitation of food source to me. Especially the colors. I thought the angle (pun intended) was to invade their space and piss them off resulting in a strike. Not all flies imitate a readily available food source. Heck, salmon stop eating when they enter the Fresh!

In regards to the topic, I have wondered the exact same thing. I have never tried it, but I have to believe that the smell of Krill must give the fish some kind of flashback to the sea when food was good-n-plenty. Just speculation.:confused:

11. Wayne Jordan

Wayne Jordan Active Member

You are right tightlines, I was just making a general statement about fly fishing in general. Steelhead & salmon are the exception to the rule, they'll pretty much strike anything if they are in the mood. But is it really FLY fishing? (Just kidding)

I'm off to Pass Lake now, you boys have fun debating!

12. Davy

Davy Active Member

Personally, I like the way WD-40 blends with blue ear pheasant hackle when thoroughly drenched in the stuff. MMMMMMM.

13. chadk

chadk Be the guide...

I thought that was how you fished the 'wd-40 fly'???

14. Big K1

Big K1 Large Member

No!

15. chadk

chadk Be the guide...

OK, so forget about scent... How about that spray on stuff that adds flash\sparkle to 'any lure or fly'? Forgot where I saw it, but it is advertised for salt water fishing I think... So no scent, but increased visibility\reflection. Maybe for bucktailing or something...