Steelhead reports

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by sinktip, Feb 10, 2003.

1. sinktip

sinktip Guest

Kerry,

I agree with everything you said. Go ahead and gloat, hell even share a picture if you got one. Your "They're back" post was priceless on that other site.

Where I personlly take exception is the "we fished this run and used this fly and the fish hit 2/3 of the way through the swing behind that boulder and I had 12 pound Maxima and the frigging Smoozley line system that Joe Blow sold me and my 22 buddies and I all got our picture taken with it. By the way, this steelheading thing sure is fun and easy, hope to see you all out at the run next time."

st

2. DEREK

DEREK New Member

Sinktip,

I thought about the party fishing thing and I recant. You could say that it is being thoughtless. It is a good point, and yes, If I stumbled upon one of those scenes unknowingly, I would probably just pack it up and go home.(although I don't know that the people necessarily have selfish intentions)

As to the laziness, I believe you called me damn lazy. I might think your ugly, or even damn ugly, but my mother raised me with enough manners to keep my opinion to myself sometimes. (for the record I've never seen you, and I officially don't find you ugly, damn ugly or any derivative of ugly)

3. sinktip

sinktip Guest

Derek,

For the record, I am damn ugly. Point well taken though. As for the lazy comment, I said might call you lazy and I admit that was flipant. My mother raised me better too.

Hey we all probably cut corners. I know I do if the river is close to going out, I check the USGS site before I drive there. I am very guilty of that one.

I just don't see the need to bare ones soul about evry aspect of the fish you hooked. As someone said above, you do this and it is you that gets hurt next time.

sinktip

4. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Sinktip,

I hear what you are saying. Did you notice the first reply to my "They'e back" post was asking where are they.

For those that want to know. Well, they are in some run in some river in some state and I thinks if you get out and swing a fly you just might ketch yourself one.

I spent hours and days hanging out with other steelheaders. I begged to go along. I watched and listened. I read. I think some of the guys I pestored so much they finally told me where to go, (or took me) and what to use to get rid of my sorry ass. I stood in the cold water, the rain, the snow and wind and threw flies for days and weeks and months.

Geez, this is what I am doing now. Oh well what ever works.

Go out and have some fun and try a new place or 2. Who knows you might catch one where nobody else has tried. Then you can gloat.

I'm outa here. I think I can make it to the river with just enough light left to fish the whole run. bye!

5. Whitey

Whitey Active Member

This is great, I knew my words would spark a good debate! Now let me get my .02 in.

I for one do not believe it is right to take photo's of Native Steelhead. That's right, big statement. E-mail me the nasty and wicked responses, leave it off the board. Just fishing for nats is harming them, But I am a greedy bastard, so I allow myself that privilege. Taking photo's only adds to the harm, ya I know, If your good, you only hold the fish up for 3 seconds. 3 seconds too much. Native fish should be held in the highest regard, everything that can be done to help them on their way home should be done. If that means No fishing, Hell, I'd go and cast a hookless fly just for the pure joy of remembering the power and grace of these great beasts. Nats are Brutes? NEVER! Thanks for reading my rant, hope you enjoyed it and can respond with soemthing that has some thought to it.

Sinktip, you are a gentlemen and a steelhead scholar, kudos to you. that go's for the rest of you people too, a little debate is good for the soul. I think enough locations on the sky have been releaved for the sake of this argument, let's just leave the poor old Sky out of this, It gets hammered enough. :smokin YT

Now that I said that, Do you guys call "golf balls" the spot with golf balls all over the bar? I call it something else. I think a guy must hit balls off his back yard on the gravel bar. great spot though?;)

6. troutpocket

troutpocket Active Member

Dear Sinktip-

I follow the postings of this site quite regularly, however I rarely reply to what I consider "issues" or "political" posts and prefer to concentrate on what this site has become a major tool for - planning my fishing trips. In this case, I am feeling the barb of your sarcasm and am compelled to respond.

Though I have fished all my life, I 'discovered' steelheading quite recently, I guess my first outings devoted to pursuing steelhead have been in the past year. I am certainly one of the new faces on the river you seem to take issue with and I take your remarks personally.

I took part in a steelhead school over the weekend. It was one of the most enjoyable days I have spent on the river. Sharing time and comparing notes with a few others whos skill ranged from 'never cast a fly' to 'taking this trip because I like the guide and want to rediscover the fundamentals' was just great. It certainly wasn't a party and we passed up several (occupied) holes without stopping due to the volume of traffic on the river. Our fishing success consisted of one hooked steelhead and one dollie brought to hand for 6 fishermen.

My point: fly fishers who are willing to accept such a catch rate are likely going to share a lot of your ideals. Take heart that the new generation is just as enamored with the fish and the environment that supports it as those who have been at it for decades. Maybe you have had personal experience with some new faces that 'haven't figured it out yet' . . .well someone has to give 'em a hint. Make the effort to speak face to face. I'd respect that a lot more than a mean-spirited online rant.

Steelheading will thin its own ranks . . .it seems to be the 'new in thing' for fly fishers but there just aren't that many people who will devote the effort to be successful.

See you out there.

Rod

7. Nailknot

Nailknot Active Member

I guess I was confused about exactly where your anger was directed Sinktip. If it was at the internet generally, my only advice to you is: make peace with it, because it ain't goin anywhere. I'm sure many folks were angry at the pictures on the bait fridge door back in the day, but it didn't ruin fishing now did it? Only ruined the day for those who couldn't move past it. Same with the magazines, same with the grapevine, same with the damn Rockport Store fer christsakes. You've been fishing for a long time. You should know better.

I assumed your enemy was this "new and lazy breed" of steelheaders. If it is, I stand by my statement that the enemy is in your head. Maybe you're not connecting with new steelheaders that offer character you admire, or maybe you are, but can't get past the internet thing. Either way, I assure you there are many newbies practicing the path you admire. I hope you are fortunate enough to meet them.

>>"Where I personlly take exception is the "we fished this run and used this fly and the fish hit 2/3 of the way through the swing behind that boulder and I had 12 pound Maxima and the frigging Smoozley line system that Joe Blow sold me and my 22 buddies and I all got our picture taken with it. By the way, this steelheading thing sure is fun and easy, hope to see you all out at the run next time.">>

There's a lot of baggage in this line, but for the sake of argument, can you point me to a post like this? If it's happened on this board, I haven't seen it. If you're going to indict large groups of people with perceived "stoopid practices" at least provide some specific cases. You're not going to win friends and influence people with such high and mighty talk, at least on the internet. As one who hasn't committed any of these "crimes against steelheading" (at least the ones you identified here-- i.e. no steelhead school, no location/hole posts, and no river parties) I don't take your post personally. But sheesh, your first two posts sure came off as self righteous and pompous BS.

8. Coho

Coho Member

Steelhead reports - The Dozen Top Secret Hot Spot...

Hi Sinktip:

I have been flyfishing for steelhead for a little over 20 years, and yes I have been a little frustrated just like you.

Hang in there - you'll catch fish. To speed the process along for you, I will share all... perhaps just in defiance of those on the board who are more selfish with their closely held information.

My Top Dozen Steelheading flyfishing hotspots: :thumb
    ----------------------------------------------------------

These rivers and specific drifts have produced many many steelhead for me and a select few friends. They are relatively unknown so share this information sparingly and with discretion:

1. My number one secret spot has been consistent summer, fall and winter. You want to fish this little jewel in the upper stretches just above the town of

(Hold on - my phone is ringing. I'll finish this post in a few minutes...)

Hope you will have a fishing experience like the one in Luke Chapter 5:6-11 ! :)

9. Matt Burke

Matt Burke Active Member

Wow, this post sure got busy

I don't know but a couple names along the Sky; Monroe, Sultan, Goldbar and Two-bit. But through my own exploring, I have found 20 or so spots to access from the bank. I wouldn't know Buck island from Camano Island and I was born here in 1960. I just like to fish it knowing I'll hit after X number of hours. I feel the same about the other north sound rivers and know them pretty well too. If you fish with me, I'll show you what I know. After that, you're on your own, as it should be. I can't cast the line for you, you'll have to do the work. Anyway, I thought this started out on a funny note, but now it's too many words and not enough fishing. I'll be on the Sky tomorrow morning. Don't ask where, I don't know the name of it. Good luck you guys and take it easy, would ya.

Matt

"Everyday that you wake up and decide not to go fishing...is one less day you'll go fishing." Forrest Maxwell

10. skater

skater New Member

I am with you 100%. There is some kind of sanctity in steelheading that is lost in this report to the masses crap. Still I like the sharing of fly paterns and casting. But I beg of you to leave the water to be discovered by others. "Don't ask and don't tell" :p

11. Dan

Dan Member

I agree with what you are saying. I guess I'm one of those "new breed" of steelheaders you are talking about that is learning about the game on the internet. I lived in Tacoma for 4 years and caught exactly one salmonoid in a river while I lived there. It wasn't because I didn't try. I talked to everyone that I thought knew squat about steelheading, including a brother-in-law that had been successful at it, and it didn't help me connect. I was young, recently married, had a new baby and a tough job. I couldn't afford a guide. I didn't get out very often. I had the wrong gear. I did my best. Twenty years later, I find this website. It points me to a guide that taught me more in a day than I learned in 4 years. I even had some success on my own. Is there something wrong with that? I haven't stood in the rain, or snow or sleet on the Stilly or Skagit year in and year out, but man, I feel like I have paid my dues. If you come to my river and ask me politely for some help, I'll give it to you. I might even share my spot and give you a fly that is working. Thanks to all those on the website that have helped in a similar way in a virtual sense. I read this site every day and I learn something every day. I'm not asking anyone to tell me exactly what hole they caught their fish in, or on what fly. Fish move; water conditions change. If you would just be kind enough to point me in the right direction once in a while, I'll get the rest of it done. And you can bet that I'll return the favor down the line.

12. Marketic

Marketic New Member

I'm a new guy and I appreciate the opportunity to post.
    I have read some of the "steelhead reports" over the last few months and it didn't surprise me to see the recent post submitted by this gentleman named Sinktip. It struck me as a good healthy reaction to what's happening to this "sport".

Some of these reports are quite hilarious. In fact I felt compelled to copy a "steelhead report" I saw on this very Bulletin Board. I sent it to a friend of mine a few weeks ago so he could share my absolute disbelief and stupefaction that people would submit this type of information to a public forum (with a straight face).

It was posted by a guy who caught a fish on a local river. The post included every possible detail about his outing (the river, the hole, the fish, the side of the river he was fishing from, the cast he used, the line, the leader, the tippet strength, the fly, the wind (speed and direction). I was waiting breathlessly for him to divulge the brand of oil he used in his SUV to get him to the river and the cut of his underwear he had on which enabled him to walk to the hole in such relative comfort in order to carry out his piscatorial coup. I'm quite sure I could have gotten this information with a quick e-mail if only he'd divulged his address.

O.K. Just so you can see all the varied facets of this "sport" and how weird some of the players are who participate in it I'll tell you how I play the game. First, I fish regularly. I fish here and I fish there. I probably fish where you do. But here's the deal-- if someone sees me hook a fish then I never got that fish. It's like it never happened. I'm not disappointed. I'm not dejected. I just didn't get a fish because someone saw me. But when I go home that night I'm thinking like this: I didn't walk far enough. I didn't wake up early enough. I didn't hide in the bushes long enough for that boat to leave. Sounds weird, doesn't it?

Actually, to me it’s love’s sweet song. Because if I get to count that fish I hooked (and I have my moments), it means that I was able to find the solitude I'd been searching for, my little piece of peace on a river, and a fish just happened to be part of the equation and boy, it sure was cool. That's steelheading for me. I had one of those moments yesterday but I confess, my dog saw me release the fish so I'm wondering if I really got it.

I've been doing this for many years. I learned steelheading by the Braille method. What’s the Braille method? It’s shut up and pay your river dues. The internet is like electronics when it comes to navigating a ship. Radar and GPS are nice to have but you’d better have your sextant and chart handy and know how to use them when the batteries die. It's scary how few people are willing to look at a chart or put a sextant in their hands.

I've never heard the name of a hole mentioned in relation to a fish caught until I saw this forum. Even the scummiest most egregious puker website over on the OP won't do that. He'll beat your brains with pictures and boast about his roe cure and his pink worm but you'll never hear the name of a hole he caught his fifteen “nates” in last Friday.

What do we do about this? We need a UN resolution so it won’t happen again. If the French or Germans get in our faces and say the word “Buck Island”, we tie them up and leave them on a nameless gravel bar upstream from Monroe and wait for the next high water.

13. o mykiss

o mykiss Active Member

Jaysus, Mary Mother of God - if I have to read one more post from one of yous "I fish in solitude and never breathe a word of my angling success" hermits, I think I'm going vomit roe and pink worms myself. If folks aren't supposed to post fishing reports, what are they supposed to post? (Oh, I know: "I went fishing. It might have been today, or it might have been yesterday. It might have been somewhere on a river in the State of Washington, but it may have been on a lake, in Puget Sound or even the ocean. I may have been fishing for steelhead, trout, salmon, rockfish, perch, lingcod or great whites. I may have been using my 7 foot bamboo 3 weight or my Sage RPLxi 9 foot 14 weight. If there was anyone around, I didn't catch no fish. If I was reveling in my solitude, I caught a bunch - at least if my dog didn't see me. Even though all y'alls got to pay your river dues, I just thought you'd like to know. Oh, and a most distressing thing happened - I actually saw, from a bush I was hiding behind, a group of fellows fishing together and having a good old time. It was so, so pathetic.")

14. circlespey

circlespey Active Member

I had seen so many reports of woe on this site (where are the fish, where are the fish, etc.) that I just wanted people to know that a few are around.

And no, I won't say exactly where I caught it.

Circlespey

15. BOBLAWLESS

BOBLAWLESS New Member

When there's few or no fish like this season, the boys get restless. It's sort of like no fish on a factory ship: people start to fight, go nuts, jump overboard, fall into depression etc.
    Maybe those with a lot of anger should take up golf? :dunno