Trip Report Steelhead trips I was on recently....

Discussion in 'Trip Reports with Pics' started by winxp_man, Oct 29, 2017.

1. winxp_man

winxp_man Steelhead Bum

So decided to get out and chase some summer steel! I was up on the Rogue River for about 2n a half weeks. with a 4 day break in between for some work. So it started on Sep 30 and got back this past Thursday evening. Fished the river all the way up near the hatchery at Casey park and down at Toss Gulch.

Day one the fishing was around Grants Pass with a bunch of smolts and HP's about 16-17" fish for the HP's. Then the next day in the Touvelle area I got into a bunch more. The little bastards (as I decided to call them hahahahaha because they would hit so hard at time you would think it was a adult summer fish) were being hooked on a regular. From the furthest point down river where I fished to the furthest up river. I would end up with about 10 little guys landed in almost every run I would go through. So on the first day I was able to put a buddy of mine on a nice bright adult. It was his first swung up adult ever. A friend he fishes with nymphs 95% of the time. So with no swing love from others he has not done it much. And in the time he has he didnt hook any adults. I actually told him (a couple of days before going up) that I would put him on a swung fish guaranteed hahaha! The run we fished I decided to go down deeper for them. So I had him put on a 5/5 mow tip and skagit head. Until this fish was hooked we where using a scandi head with a leader and a classic fly. And ended up getting the buddy on his first fish! Was a awesome feeling for sure! He didnt get to land it being it popped off.

Again not all... but for the most part the little guys where in almost every run we fished. So after about 3 days of fishing the upper river I decided it was time to move down river past Grants Pass area a bit. So after moving down river I came to a run where I got another HP's but it popped off before landing it. The run was a bit hard to swing in being it had large boulders all over. So we moved up to another run where the run had real nice swinging water! While fishing through the run I can about midway down the run and hooked the first adult steelie! It was a bright fish and it came out of the water so fast after which it also popped off. So I figured that I was on to something good! Continuing through the run I managed to get into another adult this time landed a nice wild buck. Somewhat still bright! This was about a 26" fish and boy did it grab and run down river!!! Almost forgot the grap after not doing much steelhead fishing with the high waters we have had this past year.

So next morning I was back at the run. Starting at the top landed a couple little guys again. So about midway down again I hook into another adult about 23" hen if I'm remembering this correctly. After this it was game on!!!! I hooked another 10 fish in this run and landed 6!!! The biggest was a buck about 28-29" This run will be experience that I will not forget anytime soon!!!! I got a few pics and some just tails and others nothing at all because they would pop out of my hands :cool: The tip I was now using was a t11 mow with a black/red dumb bell eyed marabou fly. The next day in the same run I got another 2 landed and one that got away. Going up river to another run I hooked a hen that at first though was that it was a king salmon. But being it came flying out of the water right in front of my brother he said about a 28-30" hen for sure and bright fish! On the last day ended up fishing near Grants Pass again and hooked a couple more. Total was about 15 adults landed in the last three days of the trip. The first 5 days it was only one adult which was hooked by my buddy. I did have good grabs but nothing that stuck.

So all in all I think my first part of the trip was something that was a trip to remember! The second trip was a bit slower. I ended up landing 5 adults. The rain front that came in really put the bite down. They where there just not willing to take very easily. I did get a good friend of mine on some fish with his dad. And another buddy that came up from Colorado. Got him on his first swung up adult steelie! Getting the friends on swung up fish made my day! I was at the point that even if I had not landed any I would have not cared hahahaha! But I did get into some but hard to put in some hard work for sure!!!!! All in all cant wait to go out on the American River now. I know there are some fish in. Using the right tools is the key! Until next time tight lines ladies and gents!! :cool:

and with out further ado....... here are some pics!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Robert Engleheart

Robert Engleheart Robert

Nice! I was up there the 15-19, only got to fish one morning as our friends that we stayed with in Rogue River wanted to go to the beach and do other things so I’d of felt like an ingrate going fishing more than that. I did happen to be on a riffle looking upstream at a gorgeous riverbank completely colored in yellow, gold and red into a spectacular sunrise. A great blue heron was perched on a snag twenty feet away and remained there as I started working my way out and down the run. Like you, it was a smolt every cast usin a scandi and a lightly dressed October Caddis with some green UV in a #7.
    Found the access to a nice run at the junction of Evans Creek where I had and adult or big 1/2 lb blow up on it and break me off; think I had a wind knot in the tippet.
    The rain blew in and it was time to go, hopefully can return soon, stunning river.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2017
    winxp_man likes this.
  3. winxp_man

winxp_man Steelhead Bum

It would be a night mare if I was up during a time when steelies are coming up river and not be able to fish a couple of days at least! Either way at least you got out for a moment! ;)