Steelheading Success Rate

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Steffan Brown, Jan 12, 2012.

?
  1. At least 9 out of 10 times out...

6 vote(s)
    4.9%
  2. 60%>89%

21 vote(s)
    17.1%
  3. 20%>59%

31 vote(s)
    25.2%
  4. Less than 20% of the time...

44 vote(s)
    35.8%
  5. I'm still looking for my first...

21 vote(s)
    17.1%
  1. Steffan Brown

Steffan Brown ...

I know it's not a numbers game and they've also been called the fish of a thousand casts, however, I'm curious how many outings it usually takes to hook up for all of you. Steelheading is relatively new to me compared to some of you (2 years of thinking I know what I'm doing), and I've had some success from the perseverance it takes. So naturally I'm curious how often one hooks up with a fish relative to the number of outings. I've read that some guys hook up everytime out, and others have more humble outlooks on what they are able to produce. So what about you? I would love to hear about the number of years you've been at it and how often you have success in hooking up with a fish due to, or not due to, that experience under your belt.

2. Dustin Bise

Dustin Bise Active Member

about 10 per trip, funny thing is it hasnt happened yet. but i still expect it.

3. Steffan Brown

Steffan Brown ...

Good point Dustin... Expectations and reality are two different things. I might have to make an edit.

4. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

Why isn't 100% an option? because that's my answer.

5. Steffan Brown

Steffan Brown ...

I figured if it were higher than 90%, you'd be HIGH enough to not know the difference...

6. John Hicks

John Hicks Owner and operator of Sea Run Pursuits

Home Page:
    Steffan that was a pretty funny comeback. I would have to make a distinction between summer pursuit and winter. In the winter my fishing is pretty much only the O.P. and sucess is much less than in the summer where I mainly fish down south in Oregon.

O.P. 20%
    Summer 95%

7. James Mello

James Mello Inventor of the "closed eye conjecture"

Summer versus winter is the biggest difference for me. I do okay with summer fish, but unlike John I have my most confidence with winter steeleheading. Also the success rate varies wildly dependiung on time of year. Right now, 50% on the swing. April? Near 100%.....

8. Wadecalvin

Wadecalvin Member

In 2011 on the Deschutes I probobly went 8-10 times and had 5 good pulls or takes and landed 1 -also there might have been a pull or two or three in there. All swinging flies. This is the second year in the last 5 that I didnt chuck any hardware except for an hour or two. Not as productive but still fun.

9. Richard Torres

Richard Torres Active Member

Steffan,

This winter season i've put in about 16 hours of fishing on the rivers with nothing to show so far.
    Success can be had if you know the fish are there (you can see them) and they are in the mood to bite.

10. kamishak steve

kamishak steve Active Member

I think a better question is for the guys with over 60 percent success, where are you fishing??????? I just mean OP versus eastside versus alaska, etc.

pinkygonzales likes this.
  11. Rob Allen

Rob Allen Active Member

Greatly depends on the season

summer probably 70% of the time

winter maybe 30% of the time

but that's fishing one day a week not spending serious time out there being in touch with whats going on which makes a HUGE difference.

12. Steelie Mike

Steelie Mike Active Member

Home Page:
    The guys who are out there and have a circle of friends that give good reports lead to good results. Knowing what is going on in the watershed you like to fish is a big deal. That is just how it goes with swinging flies. Location is also a significant factor in the amount of fish brought to the bank. Heck it is with any fishing. Basically it depends on when, where, time on the water, water clarity, flows, native fish, hatchery fish, first pass in certain places, time of year, etc. In the winter I expect to touch a fish at least once in three outings. That is fishing water I know for the most part and fishing in both Oregon or Washington. Some days you may find more. In the summer I expect better odds, especially when East of the Cascades. This time of year one in three isn"t that bad. Also by swinging flies you are already limiting yourself but then if you choose to only fish wets or even dries you play with your odds.

Basically the more time on the water leads to more fish to the bank, that is obvious, but each time you are out you are logging time and experience that you can use in the future, especially relating to fishing again that time of year or during similar flows.

13. yuhina

yuhina Tropical member

Home Page:
    well said! Mike,

another factor to consider: personality...

Some people only go out when fishing is HOT... some go out explore new waters no matter what... I got skunk a lot, but the thrill of discover new waters and new secret spots keep motivate me and my buddies to fish the "new" water!

Mark

Patrick Gould likes this.
  14. James Waggoner

James Waggoner Active Member

I'm on a casting kick now...unless I catch one incidentally I'm probably not going too. I've been so busy and with the days so short, if I get out for an hour after work I usually just go casting. Casting is a great way to unwind and relax after a hard day of work.

When the days get longer I'll be fishing more. I switch gears in early spring through fall.

15. Cruik

Cruik Active Member

I'm on a good run right now this winter, but usually it's pretty bad - one for every four days or so, but that's also including days where I pick up the baitcaster and fish floats. Anyone else experience pretty darn good fishing for hatchery fish during the high water period the last 2-3 weeks?