Steelheading Success Rate

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Steffan Brown, Jan 12, 2012.

?

How often do you hook up with a fish during steelhead pursuits?

1. At least 9 out of 10 times out...

6 vote(s)
    4.9%
  2. 60%>89%

21 vote(s)
    17.1%
  3. 20%>59%

31 vote(s)
    25.2%
  4. Less than 20% of the time...

44 vote(s)
    35.8%
  5. I'm still looking for my first...

21 vote(s)
    17.1%
  1. Steelie Mike

Steelie Mike Active Member

Home Page:

2. Brazda

Brazda Fly Fishing guide "The Bogy House" Lodge

Home Page:
    HAHAHAH,,,,,,,,fricken BULLSHIT meter pegged!!!

3. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

100% when fishing with Jergens. You should all try that angle.

4. bhudda

bhudda heffe'

Home Page:
    Know a guy who's probably into 75+ since the 1st of the year.... all on gear:)

5. Cougar97

Cougar97 Member

One.....every thousand cast......... Ok, typically in the Summer I can expect at least 1 to 2 fish a day.

:rofl:

6. Kelly Michelsen

Kelly Michelsen Active Member

I had good fortune to hook and have long distance release on three consecutive fish outings over a 7 day period early in the season last October and then similar in late October but it is probably 25 % or less overall.
    Kelly Michelsen

7. Dan Cuomo

Dan Cuomo Active Member

Long-time fly fisher, but very new to steelhead and spey casting, so it's all new to me: new rod, new casting to learn, new flies to tie, new rivers to fish. Accordingly, my expectations are... modest, so it's somewhat comforting to read that others are helping to uphold the "fish of a thousand casts" reputation. All that said, I'm enjoying it all immensely. I'm just about "sure" that every cast, and every new riffle, run, and/or pool is the one that holds my first fish. Great thread. Thanks.

8. robspe7370

robspe7370 Member

PAC NW: Totally and utterly skunked for 3 multi-day trips fishing the OP and Pugeotopolis rivers.

Great Lakes: %50, but when I catch one I will catch multiple fish.

9. Steffan Brown

Steffan Brown ...

Thanks Mike. This is exactly the kind of insight I was hoping for with this thread. I admit, I am more of the weekend warrior type, but do get out once a week. If the rivers are out, I work in some time to explore possible new places, or target places I would think a fish might hug the bank. My success rate is definitely in the less than 20% category, but that's where I would expect to be with only a couple years under my belt. I don't have a large network of people who I can check in with about specific watersheds regularly. Instead, I try to read as much about the sport as possible and read between the lines on information shared here and other places through out the web as well. My fishing buddy during the winter is a relative newb as well, so it's hard to sometimes guage my success rate, given all variables, to where I should be, let alone know what mistakes I'm making. If there is one thing I've learned from my experience, is that it's pretty easy to know what you are doing right when a fish slams into your fly!

10. Mark Bové

Mark Bové Chasin tail

Home Page:
    Depend on conditions. I don't go fishing unless its going to be good. So I have been batting near 100% I also happen to be a dirty gear chucker who sometimes skates for steelhead. The poor fish have the gauntlet run by them when I hit the water so if the fish are in I will get them. The times I get skunked are usually if not always because of poor conditions. IE totally fucking blown out, but sometimes I do pick one or two up with evil tactics involving 10" rvr fshr worms with those conditions

11. gearhead

gearhead Active Member

my secret, which i shall share, if catching fish is important anyways, (i know its not so much, with some), is this: go fishing where there are fish! odometer be damned.

12. slim

slim Fish or Ski...Fish or ski....fish!

:rofl:Depends if I'm nymphing or not. If I am it's pretty high!

13. DocDoc

DocDoc Member

Some days nothing, others multiple fish on the Clearwater in the fall. I usually average a fish a day, though not all get to hand. Winter has not been as productive. Fishing the Deschutes has typically averaged a fish a day or better. When I go it is usually for several days at a time to maximize the chance of running into moving fish in the river I am fishing. I usually fish fairly long days and use the bright middle of the day to explore new water.

14. fishwater

fishwater Human Being...a work in progress

Over 30 years swinging flies to fish in 48-60 degree water that became increasingly familiar, I reached a plateau of 15-20 steelhead landed per year; this according to written notes, entered daily in a journal. I fished when I could, ranging from less than an hour to three hours in a day many mid-day trips - once in a while I'd do an all-day trip. I am not a particularly talented caster, but reasonably efficient. I mostly use a floating line (85%) but also sink-tips. If I look to actual numbers rather than averages, I see widely variable success. Lots and lots of zero fish/hour, once in a while two or more fish in a single hour, and an all-time high of 15 fish landed in less than 2 hours! My suggestion is to be patient with yourself, and enjoy every cast. To me steelheading with the fly is a joyous experience of wading, casting and looking about...once in a while interrupted by the grab of a fish.

15. rory

rory Go Outside

Home Page:
    Thanks for starting this. There are a lot of unanswered questions I have about these fish. Can we ask if people are using beads to catch these fish? Or is that too controversial? My website below is documenting my experience trying to catch a steelhead.