Steeliess reserved for experienced?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by spicolli140, Nov 4, 2011.

1. Derek Young

Derek Young 2011 Orvis Endorsed Fly Fishing Guide Of The Year

Home Page:
    Maybe Beauchamp will let you borrow some of his nail polish and paint up some German Chocolate Cake eggs. :)

2. dflett68

dflett68 Active Member

seemed like it was well worth his while in his opinion. and really, if weren't for "quickly at all costs", you'd be out of a job.

3. Dustin Bise

Dustin Bise Active Member

Ok, i think i finally understand. You cant use beads to flyfish. if you want to flyfish it has to be a babine special or a globug.

4. generic

generic Active Member

Three things are certain in life:

Death, taxes, and the on going debate of defining "fly fishing for steelhead."

P.S. I'm with Blake, German chocolate cake is yummy.

5. generic

generic Active Member

Not if it's fished with a spey rod.

6. Methow

Methow Active Member

I never use beads, I use jigs...LOL

7. Derek Young

Derek Young 2011 Orvis Endorsed Fly Fishing Guide Of The Year

Home Page:
    And you'd be 100% wrong.

8. dflett68

dflett68 Active Member

i'm not sure what you mean Derek. i guess i'm just assuming you're a guide because that's what your signature says. maybe that's not your only job, or maybe you think people don't hire a guide because they can exchange a pile of cash for years of of experience and know-how and virtually purchase success. what are you selling if not those things, just your boat and companionship? how can you express so much disdain for taking one short-cut (if it's even valid to call an egg pattern a short-cut), while you make your living (at least theoretically) off of turning "the fish of 1,000 casts" into "the fish of a credit card payment"? personally i think both are perfectly legitimate.

9. Dustin Bise

Dustin Bise Active Member

I think he mostly guides trout.

10. gearhead

gearhead Active Member

just wondering, whats the difference between swinging a blue, red, pink, orange, purple or all the combos mixed together fly, and swinging a spoon, they are both lures frankly, sorry to burst your bubble. both lures are being presented with a rod and a line. if your going to make fun of nymphers, and beaders, then its because your "Flies" are of course a natural bug patterns, you know, the brown, greys and blacks, minus the glitter and green, red and orange heads and butts right? Hypocrite! now if you do use these patterns, and are pure to the bug Gods, then my compliments my friends, but me, fishing is more important than a beautiful cast, i'd like to catch a fish every so often too.

11. Chris Scoones

Chris Scoones Administrator Staff Member

Cleaning this thread up a bit. A few posts will be removed. Buckkiller, we're through with you. Might be through with others as well.

Chris Scoones
    WFF

12. Chris Johnson

Chris Johnson Member: Native Fish Society

13. TallFlyGuy

TallFlyGuy Adipossessed!

ON the coolometer (in my signature) you got a 3 out of 10, but since you used a bead it drops another point to a 2. = not very cool :)

14. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

What the hell, let me throw a little gas on this fire. Are soft yarn glow bugs -- you know, the ones that look a lot like beads, considered beads?

15. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

What Derek said.

Nothing wrong with bead fishing. The incredible, delectable, edible bead has taught me something very important about steelhead. Since 1982 my steelheading philosophy was predicated on the thesis that under average water conditions (meaning not too low, too high and turbid, too warm or too cold), an undisturbed steelhead will hit the first properly presented bait, lure, or fly it sees. I was wrong. My thesis assumed that every steelhead is a player. They aren't. Generally speaking, a swung fly, wet or dry, will draw a strike only from steelhead that are players. Not every undisturbed steelhead is a player. The reason bead fishing is classified as either not fly fishing (it's not a typical fly after all), or at least not traditional fly fishing, is because the bead can and does hook steelhead that are not players. Lots of them. Potentially up to 100% of them. Not only does the bead hook undisturbed non-players, in the right hands it also hooks disturbed non-players.

Fishing beads is consistent with instant gratification because you don't have to find a player to hook a steelhead. Fishing beads is also consistent with a "catch 'em all" ethic and contributes to making steelhead fishing a competitive activity. There are more than a few reasons for not holding bead-caught steelhead in the same esteem as those caught on swung flies.

Sg