Step by step: Home made 'indicators.'

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by fredaevans, Jan 12, 2008.

1. Marty

Marty New Member

Home Page:
    I can’t believe you guys are talking about bobbers in the spey section. Confirms my suspicion that the term Spey has lost all of its prestige. Spey this, spey that and what the hell is spey fishing any way? Fishing a bobber on a two handed rod can be done and from what I hear is very effective, but what does that have to do with the Spey River, spey flies or spey casting. So much is being lost in the modern day translation. I swing flies for steelhead with a two handed rod, some times use a single or double spey to present the fly and even some times fish a spey type fly, am I spey fishing? I think not, I would call it steelheading just as I would also call fishing an indicator on a two handed rod steelheading. The technique we choose to use is personal preference and though swinging flies is traditional and the purist form of steelheading it’s what every floats your boat that matters. As for this little rant it really dose not mean a thing, because the fish don’t know the names of the flies anyway.

2. Jergens

Jergens AKA Joe Willauer

Home Page:
    now were talking!

3. TallFlyGuy

TallFlyGuy Adipossessed!

Huh? So are you mad at yourself for not keeping with tradition?

4. Marty

Marty New Member

Home Page:
    What part of tradition am I not keeping with?

Not mad at me or anyone else, just an observation on my part. I really think few understand how the spey thing got started in the first place. It was all about marketing and selling rods here in the U.S. If I remember right Sage was the first to classify their rods as “spey” rods. The thought was spey was sexy, far more so than “two handed rod”. Pretty much now everything that is attached to the two handed rod is considered to be spey. It makes a lot of sense if you think about it, what sounds more alluring, going to a spey clave or a two handed rod clave? I have no problem with using spey as a designation for two handed rods, lines, reels or any other type of equipment or even as a style of casting or style of flies but I do have a concern the true understanding that the Spey is a river in Scotland, spey casting was developed on the Spey because of the challenges created by the high banks and obstruction that lined both sides of the river and that the spey fly is an adaptation of the standard full dress Atlantic salmon flies is getting lost in the master marketing plans of “spey equipment” manufactures.

So back to the question at hand, what does bobber (indicator) fishing have to do with “spey”? and when you go spey fishing are spey’s hard to catch?

5. Jergens

Jergens AKA Joe Willauer

Home Page:
    i think even less people care about that tradition and just like going fishing.

6. Sloan Craven

Sloan Craven Active Member

Inidicators don't necessarily have anything to do with spey fishing. All of Fred's threads are in the Spey forum. It's just they way the world is. I'm not sure he knows there's a whole big site there.:p:p:p:p
    Just funning with ya Fred..........

7. Marty

Marty New Member

Home Page:
    jergens I totally agree with you, for some tradition does not mean a thing but then if it were not for tradition would we be using two handed rods today?

8. Jergens

Jergens AKA Joe Willauer

Home Page:
    agree'd, and for as not traditional as i am (i love beads, nymphs, and streamers with spinner blades) i refuse to nymph on my spey pole. just doesnt make sense to me, more for practicality than tradition though.

9. _WW_

_WW_ Fishes with Wolves

..*Lists spey hat, spey gloves, spey vest, spey glasses, spey nippers, spey car, spey coat, spey boat, spey waders, spey cologne, spey toothbrush, spey toilet paper, and spey socks on ebay with other out-moded stuff*..

10. sashjo

sashjo Member

Speydicating: A method of fly fishing which uses an indicator with switch or spey rod. Used by those of us who enjoy actually catching steelhead.

My Sage Indy line works well but I like the Skagit line even better.

It sounds like someone needs to go fishing and not worry so much about "tradition".

11. Daryle Holmstrom

Daryle Holmstrom retiredfishak

The most important, don't forget to spey or neuter your cats and dogs.;)

12. Marty

Marty New Member

Home Page:
    For me having traditions and being traditional are quite different. The reference I made about “spey” has nothing to do with either. To me “spey will always be a river in Scotland, a cast I worked hard to learn and a fly I love to fish and if that is being traditional then call me a traditionalist.

sashjo its common knowledge that hatchery fish respond better to a drifted bait, I won’t argue with you on that. I actually enjoy catching wild fish that will crash the surface for a skating fly.

The only tradition I am worried about is being able to carry on my traditions. It is looking like this year and very possible years to come there could be a problem with that. Read the last chapter in Dec’s book and you will understand what I am talking about.

13. inland

inland Active Member

Marty,

As much as it sucks it's time to move on towards places with less depressed runs of wild fish. The Puget Sound tribs are done. Have been done for quite some time. Until there is some serious cash dumped into finding out the real reasons why nothing will get better. And since we know that won't happen, nor will the habitat be any better protected due to listing, it looks like the few remaining crumbs are quickly blowing away in the wind. At least we have memories of those rivers.

I started flyfishing for steelhead in March of 1993 when the runs in most places were in far worse shape then now. The bittersweet side is what has happened to Western Washington's wild steelhead (complete collapse) while many stocks throughout the states are vastly improved (although, for the mostpart, still highly depressed).

William

14. Marty

Marty New Member

Home Page:
    William – I hear ya and you are right, Making new plans for my winter fix.

15. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

Right you are Sloan.

Sorry, been up in Seattle for several days so off line.

But, save for a few posts on the main board, most have little interest (type/where to fish/etc) to me down here in Southern Oregon. Sloan's correct, save for a few, you'll find I've posted little on the main board. Doubt I've ever started a thread on there either. Nothing against same, but I'm a 'pure' fly fisherman 99% of the time.

Vis a vis indicators, many folks actually do use these on spey rods ... you can 'always' tell a 'California Guy' on the Rogue ... many will have a blob on the end of their fly line. As far as personal use, infrequently, but there are times, places, conditions that they have their place with a 2 hander.

Funny thing is the term 'spey rod' is very much a 'west coast' "thing." Any place in (greater) Europe they're alway referred to as 2-handers. A marketing thing? Probably, but it does add a bit of 'sizzle' to the selling of the steak.;) on this side of the Pond. And 'they' do tweak our noses for improper references to the equipment.:hmmm: