Steve’s Caddis Soft Hackle

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Otis28, Feb 5, 2008.

1. Otis28

Otis28 New Member

Can anybody tell me the materials for “Steve’s Caddis Soft Hackle”

Thanks

2. Otis28

Otis28 New Member

3. Dr Bob

Dr Bob Active Member

Interesting! I have been tying this fly for about 3 years and I didn't know "Steve's" fly pattern even existed. :eek: I tyed it as a "soft hackle hares ear". I use partridge for tail and soft hackle, natural rabbit fur dubbing and orange thread 8/0. Sometimes add a rib of gold or silver tinsel. Obviously you can vary the colors of the dubbing and ribbing. Copper or red wire ribbing looks good too.

Dr Bob :beer2:

4. Otis28

Otis28 New Member

Thanks Dr Bob

5. Baker

Baker New Member

I didn't know anybody ever looked at my page. Holy smokes. I know Steve and fished with him using this fly. That fly has change some in the last 5-8 years. Can tie it much thicker body and in larger sizes. Fish that on the Spokane slow with a looooong leader for good shock absorbtion. Short cast parachute so lots of slack builds, let sink on the swing then hold on as it comes quartering across. Let that sucker sit just swimming down stream for awhile.... 2-3 minutes! Retrieve with varied styles....fast jerks, slow steady, long pulls.

Some of those flys pictured I've stopped tying. Two tone flashback hare's ear (dark thorax and tan abs) with lightning bug dropper...as pictured, is a killer on the Spok in the winter.

Good luck! Matt

6. Otis28

Otis28 New Member

Hey Matt,

Thanks for the reply and fishing tips. I shot you an email from your web site but it was kicked back to me. Sounds like it was a old site.

When I was a kid we moved out to Otis Orchards in 1968', In the basement of the old house we bought I found a old creel with a fly box in it that had about a dozen flies that looked just like the Steve's Caddis Soft Hackle in it.

When I spotted it on the Fly Index it was like a flashback. I still have the old creel and the fly box, but I'm pretty sure the flies were all lost to the rocks in the river while spin casting over the years as a kid.

Thanks again for posting.

Otis28