Stinky Pinkies

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Guillaume, Aug 28, 2005.

1. Smalma

Smalma Active Member

Talking of fat content in salmon - one of the major health benefits from eating seafood is the amount of omega 3 fats found in seafood. These fats have been linked to cardic and other health benefits.

The following site:

http://www.nyseafood.org/nutrition/health2.asp

Shows that pink salmon and chinook salmon are consider to have high omega 3 contents while coho, sockeye and chum while have good concentrations of these healthy fats have lower levels than pinks.

I think it also important to recognize that individual tastes differ, I know some folks that dis-like any salmon (have a son like that), others who would not touch a beef steak, others who think crab or clams are horrible food not fit for human consumption. Fortunately there are many different tastes in this world and we all don't have to fit in the same box.

Tight lines

Curt

2. Salvelinus

Salvelinus Member

Flyfishneahbay, I thought that high fat concentrations were found in the best eating salmon ie. chinook and that is why they tasted so good. :confused:

3. Bob Triggs

Bob Triggs Stop Killing Wild Steelhead!

Home Page:
    Smalma, can you provide us with a link to resources and information on toxins in wild salmon fish flesh?

4. Beckler

Beckler Member

I think Chad made a great point, we are lucky to have this opportunity in our backyard. I'm sure if I could hook as many Kings and Silvers on the fly as I do pinks I would have a preference, but these fish come readily to the fly and my whole family enjoys them, smoked or on the Barbie. I grew up in the midwest so just to be able to hook Salmon from a city beach and then prepare it for dinner that night is awesome in my book. :thumb:

5. Chris Bellows

Chris Bellows Your Preferred WFF Poster

it is the high fat content that imo makes salmon tasty (i don't know if it's high omega-3's that make it taste good). everyone has different tastes. for me, the greasier the salmon the better (give me the collar and belly of a 30-40 pound king any day). some people like milder fish, and pinks fit that taste range perfectly.

again, i have never said pinks are unfit for consumption... i just prefer stronger flavored salmon. and yes, pinks demand quick bleeding and gutting to retain their table quality.

as for flavorings... of course we all add flavor to our salmon... but the point remains that most recipes regarding pinks involve sauces... or smoked.

chris

6. Smalma

Smalma Active Member

Bob -
    Here is one site_

www.envirohealthaction.org/upload_files/ Salmon%20contaminant%20fact%20sheet.pdf

While we hear a lot about farmed salmon being heavily contaminanted the reality is that wild versus farmed is less of an issue than where the fish feed on the food chain. Farmed salmon have realitvely high levels of say PCB because they are fed a diet based on fish meal. Wild salmon that eat a diet high in fish - chinook have equally high levels of contiminations. Even Alaskan chinook have high levels. This is due in part to them being older (more years to accumulate the contiminate) and fatter - PCB are stored in the fish's fat. Bottom line the larger/fatter fish is the worst.

Most of the differences in the studies that show differences between farmed and wild salmon is due to the comparison being wild farmed Altantics compared to wild chum and pinks. A more relvant comparison would have been wild chinook and/or coho compared to the farmed product. Or even farmed chinook compared to wild chinook. Of course the farmed industry would not have looked as bad as the wild commerical produced industry - the funding source of some of the studies.

Tight lines
    Curt

7. Guillaume

Guillaume New Member