Stoeger Condor...not happy!

Discussion in 'Cast & Blast' started by andrew, Oct 29, 2007.

1. Zack Dudley

Zack Dudley Take em'

the sparta is a great gun a my duck huntin buddy uses that gun BUT its not as good as my benelli nova and it costs less :p benelli is AWESOME in my book no problems whatsoever! Glad your gun works now

2. hap

hap Member

For the record, single-trigger double guns have one of two systems for enabling the second barrel to fire. Most use the recoil of the first shot to reset a sear and are called "inertia-operated" and the second is mechanical and simply engages the second sear mechanically, regardless the amount of recoil in the first shot.

The Stoeger was never designed to shoot the second barrel without a shot going off in the first.

The larger problem with cheap double guns like the Stoeger and the Huglus and many others is the long-term durability and reliability. The actions on the Huglus are not hard enough (I doubt the Stoeger is either, but do not know it for fact) and will fail to lock up properly and will fail to reset if the gun is used heavily.

The Ruger double barrels will last reasonably well, but anyone that really shoots much will end up with problems with them. They are also about as ugly as any shotgun is allowed to be.

I have had an FFL for 30 years and have imported a number of Huglus over the years.

If someone has to have an O/U (which is almost all I shoot for shotguns these days) there are many fantastic older guns out there in the <$1,000 range and often right down to five or six hundred. With the advent of steel shot and choke tubes many shy away from fixed choke guns and the price on solid, reliable, classy guns has dropped.

Winchester 101 shotguns have barrel steel which Winchester says is 100% acceptable for steel shot use. Buy a fixed choke 101 and have a gunsmith polish the chokes out to Improved Cylinder and Modified. With steel shot it will likely shoot more in the realm of modified and full. Test it on a patterning board with the ammo you intend to shoot. If it is too tight, open it up some more. This is cheap work, not hundreds of dollars.

Berettas are fine with steel shot also and make some of the finest shotguns going.

But the real secret is getting a shotgun that fits you well. take a friend's shotgun to the skeet or trap range and see how well you do with it compared to others.

Browning Clitoris are great shotguns but do not fit me at all. I have three and none are any better for me an a stone. I shoot Berettas and Winchesters fine. Rugers, not so well, but far better than Brownings. Point is, you might shoot a Clitori fine, but suck on 101s...
    art ;)

3. J.Butch

J.Butch New Member

As Andrew knows (because he talked me into it) I just picked up a used (but can't tell) Stoeger Condor Supreme in 12ga. So far, with only two shots fired, I like it! However time will tell...?

4. jcnewbie

jcnewbie Member

Can someone explain to me what all the hype is about shotgun barrels designed for "Steel shot" as opposed to barrels for lead shot? To my knowledge all shotshells (except some slugs and some old-fashioned buckshot loads) have their shot encased in plastic "shot sleeves" and therefore the shot, whether steel OR lead, never touches the barrel at all.....so what's the big deal?

I ask because I know some guys who wouldn't buy a new (or used) shotgun unless it was Certified & Warenteed, "For steel shot!"

Jus' askin!:beathead:

Jc

5. Mr.E

Mr.E He called me an Elitist ?? LOL ..what a moron

It all has to do with the metallurgy JC. Older guns can't with stand the higher pressures created with all the new powders and the higher pressures needed for steel shot.

6. andrew

andrew Active Member

Whenever it comes to shotguns I can't help but think of Elmer Fud and his barrel splayed out when I read shell warnings. It is amazing though how a 'little' more powder and choke constriction can change a guns recoils...never forget the first turkey load I fired!

7. Zack Dudley

Zack Dudley Take em'

Oh andrew you either?? ahaha i second that

8. jcnewbie

jcnewbie Member

Thanks for the response Mr. E....still not sure I understand thoroughly so guess I'm gonna hafta' do some "ballistic research" on this issue myself. I have talked to a couple of gun shop owners/staffers who just look at me with that, "duh, I dunno, that's just the way it is" look!

Even tho I realize that it may take slightly higher pressures with steel shot to achieve the same level of penetration as lead shot (E=MC2 -squared) I am unable to rationally correlate the slight increase in pressure as being a hazard in older, less metalurgically refined guns using lead shot....but then whadda' I know?:beathead:

Jc

9. IGOTTEM

IGOTTEM New Member

I was given a Stoegor Condor 20 ga. o/u. I love it, it has shot Green Heads in Nebraska Pheasants in South Dakota. In my opinion for the money it cost you can't go wrong. Mine also was made in Brazil.

10. J.Butch

J.Butch New Member

I just shot my first bird with mine today and am happy to have a notch in the stock. Forest Grouse, Mt. Baker area...

11. IGOTTEM

IGOTTEM New Member

J.Butch, I have several guns in my case, but I always pickup the Storger when I go bird hunting. It's a sweet little gun. Enjoy yours!

12. Slipstream

Slipstream Active Member

Jc, Since lead shot is softer than steel shot it deforms as it is propelled down the barrel, steel shot (being harder) does not deform, therefore it can bulge a barrel as it exits. Most barrels that are approved for steel shot are thicker and heavier than non-steel shot barrels.

13. ribka

ribka Active Member

HAP:
    That is some of the best advice regarding shotguns that I have read in some time. You obviously know quite a bit about firearms.

I was thinking of picking up an older Winchester O/U. I have a citori and do not shoot as well with it as my other shotguns

14. Duck Creek Trapper

Duck Creek Trapper New Member

bought my condor about 8 yaers ago. i own a 11-87,a nova,an 870,and a older savage. i have been shooting a minimun 50 rounds(cheap factory loads ) for 24 weeks a year for the last 8 years or so with an occassional round of sporting clays and this 300.00 gun has yet to fail me ( hope i havent jinks myself )ii shoot this better than the any of the others . The new man on the trap team just bought one hope he has as good of luck as i have.