Storing Steelhead Flies Efficiently

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by buckeyebrewer, Feb 18, 2014.

1. speyfisher

speyfisher Active Member

I have several different models of fly boxes for storing flies. Most all of them the largest boxes that will fit in the large pockets of my old out dated rain jacket. Each box containing one particular style of fly. However, when it's time to fish, only a half dozen of whatever I determine to be appropriate at the time goes into a medium size C&F box with the micro slits, and stuffed inside my waders. The remainder stays in the car or the boat.

2. David Dalan

David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

I have a lot of gear that has done that. Must be closet goblins.

Or junk food.

Yeah, must be goblins.

flybill likes this.
  3. David Dalan

David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

So I guess this would not count... 2014-02-21 20.34.56.jpg

4. skyrise

skyrise Active Member

for "bulk/boat storage" i purchased some clear plano like plastic boxes with NO compartments. then kept some foam sheets from shipping/mail containers and cut them to fit the boxes. got some adhesive backed velcro in roll tape style and made strips to fit the boxes and foam. now i just fill the foam sheets with fly's and organize the sheets per usage. of course this was with the idea that i would use the boxes in the boat. but of course the boat sits in the yard in need of much repair and my boxes come and go out of the closet when i think there are not enough fly's in my vest for the day. yes oh So Smart.

5. g_smolt

g_smolt Recreational User

Ziplock Baggie - 3rd world Wheatley.

I have a shit-ton of steelhead flies, but I only carry 8-10 while actually fishing.

6. HauntedByWaters

HauntedByWaters Active Member

I like a Morell fly boxes. Simple and light. You can add straps to hold the big flies down tight.

7. kamishak steve

kamishak steve Active Member

I keep tons of flies on me while i am fishing, but not a lot of variety, just quantity of a few patterns. I have one of those clear plano boxes, and I jam as many as I possible can into the little compartments so when I get hung up I don't even hesitate, just bust off and I can tie another one knowing that I have a dozen more just like it. I keep a few flies in light and dark, some large and small, and organize them by color, so when they get wet, and the dye in the material bleeds, my pink/peach/white/orange flies don't turn grey because they were next to the black/purple ones. I keep a huge pile of split shot in the same box, and I am constantly adding or taking off shot so I am at the right depth so I don't have to mess with changing tips that often. I also do all my flies on tubes, and keep about 100 hooks in various sizes in the box so I can switch out quickly if they get dulled. With that set up I am pretty dialed in.

8. Chris Johnson

Chris Johnson Member: Native Fish Society

I've gone to the Plano boxes because they are cheap. A few years ago I left my sling pack on the side of the road with most of my good boxes in it, CRS can be expensive!

Jason Rolfe likes this.
  9. ChaseBallard

ChaseBallard bushwhacker

underachiever likes this.
  10. underachiever

underachiever members only

I like the bugger barn if I'm carrying a bag with me. It's a little too big if I'm doing the "wader cramming" method.

jake-e-boy likes this.
  11. jake-e-boy

jake-e-boy sans caféine

best method hands down