Storing Trailer Hook Steelhead Flies?

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Loren E, Feb 19, 2012.

1. Phil Fravel

Phil Fravel Friendly

Ive always done the Straw thing up until this year I found straws from Arbys worked the best because you could see through them . Now I use One of those Red Rio Jim Vincent tip wallets. It comes with 12 Zip lock small bags in it. On one side I keep 6 different tips. On the other side I put 2 or 3 Pre rigged flies in each Bag

[​IMG]

2. sashjo

sashjo Member

My Bunny flies are like Silvey's Tandum tubes. Fly is tied on two tubes and the fly is prerigged with a 2 ft leader of 12# leader and placed in a small plastic bag.

3. Derek Day

Derek Day Rockyday

I go with plano boxes or ziplocks. I tie a lot of flies on waddingtons with trailers, in which case make sure you don't loop a hook in before you plan on fishing it. For one, they won't rust if you drop your box or wade too deep, and they won't get as tangled.

4. boxcar

boxcar Scott Willison

I recently started using leader boards. Just a high density blue foam card with slits in one end. Delta Tackle/Gibbs makes them for pre rigging yarnies and the like. I can pre rig a dozen tubes or stinger style flies on a card. Stick the hook in one end, wrap the leader around the card through the slit. Neat, compact. I can store a couple cards in a jacket pocket. No mess or tangles.

5. nutsack angler

nutsack angler newb

Cool idea Scott! I've been getting sick of unraveling my pre-rigged tubes from plastic bags. Where do you get those boards and are they reasonably priced?

Is River out-fishing you yet ; )

6. boxcar

boxcar Scott Willison

Haven't seen them in the states much. I get mine at Fred's and they're only a few bucks. Check out the Gibbs Tackle website. You might just have to venture north and fish with me one of these days. That super secret zipperlip just across the border is putting out a few fish.

River's definitely into the fishing. It's looking like I passed on the madness gene. Though he insists I catch only hatchery fish. One day he'll get it.

7. Derek Day

Derek Day Rockyday

Speaking of tube flies, I hope that Ed relayed that I though the Eumer stuff kicks ass. Thanks for sending that along. It will soon be put to summer steelhead flies. Great stuff.