Strange Methow Steelhead?

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by zenzless, Nov 7, 2009.

1. Troutrageous

Troutrageous Active Member

Zenzless, the descriptions kinda sound like a Chinook to me, did it look like the fish in this pic? That was a Chinook jack I caught earlier this year.

2. Tyler Sadowski

Tyler Sadowski Active Member

Thats a pretty cool looking fish. Trout body but with king colors.

3. Lex

Lex Active Member

Rick, Definitely a cutbow. Beautiful fish though. Nice job.

How about this one? Did your large bow look like this one?

4. zenzless

zenzless Experienced Enthusiast

Funny, this has been bugging me since all the replies have come in. Troutrageous that Jack is interesting and has the sort of facial spotting but Lex's rainbow pic has a lot closer resemblence. I contend that it was a rainbow salted or not and not a Cutthroat or Chinook (or of course bull trout for that matter) and the best representation I could find is the rainbow on the bottom right of this page (I use the link for copyright reasons): http://bulkleysteelhead.com/rainbow-trout

The uniqueness of that fish just had me scratching my head and though I wish I had a picture for this post and as a trophy it isn't always about that especially considering the wild/hatchery situation there. I guess the interest just shows the appeal of this passion we call fishing. - Thanks

5. suckegg

suckegg Active Member

This is from an old film camera. Fish was 25" long and 11.5 deep or 23" around I suppose. Main stem Columbia catch. I was alone and was interested in making is easy on the fish so the photo was quick & poor. At the time I swore it was a trout but years of catching various looking fish leaves me less certain for sure. I will say I have never caught another with such a deep heavy body as this one. My take is there are a variety of mixes of genes in the big C and they move around too. Not just within the Columbia but the tribs too from what I have seen. I seem to catch the trouty/steel mixes late March>early May and then mid Aug> mid Sept. They seem to be in the same places I fish for bass early and late in the season.

6. bhudda

bhudda heffe'

Home Page:
  7. Split Bamboo

Split Bamboo Member

It's a BANR trout getting its spawn on!

Big
    Assed
    Native
    Rainbow
    :thumb: