Streamdance metolius 6 wt. for steelhead

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by labrador, Sep 5, 2006.

1. labrador

labrador New Member

Hey guys

I have fallen pretty much in love with a G. loomis Streamdance metolius 6 wt. My only concern is, is it strong enough for steelhead?
    I would be thankful for any comment or experience.

Labrador

2. tythetier

tythetier Fish Slayer

A Six Weight Is A Bit Light. How Big Are The Steelies You Are Going For?? I Have Been Into A Steelhead That Was About 30" And He Was Doubling Over My Rod Pretty Good. I Have A Northern Series Custom 6/7 Weight Graphite.

Ty

3. SpeyrodMike

SpeyrodMike Member

summer run yes, winter fish not a chance.

4. Coach Duff

Coach Duff Banned or Parked

That's a an exageration saying no way on winter fish. I was with a buddy who landed a 17 pound hot Sauk fish in February by the Buffalo Run. I have caught winter runs on a Sage SP 6 weight and Teeny lines. You just can't worry about stressing the rod. Put the wood to the fish and if the rod breaks (doubtful) use your warrenty. The problem with light rod steelheading is that fisherman use too much finese on the steelhead and overplay and kill the fish. The challange is the handling of sink tips and weighted flies. If you know what you are doing by keeping to inside seems and soft water it can be done. You will struggle however if you try to fish bucket water in winter flows. With that said, a 7 or 8 weight gives you more versatility and can handle both, including beach duty for salmon and cutties, bass (largemouth and small) and whatever else you feel like catching. It's not the landing of the fish that is an issue with a 6weight, its the ability to cast big bugs (whether it be weighted steelhead flies or bass hair bugs) and make casts with the weighted tips you need in winter flows. Check out Bob Meiser and Kerry Burkheimer's rods. You can tell them what you want to do and they will build you a fishing tool that fits your hand, and fits you personally.

5. Porter

Porter Active Member

Yes...for SRSH and probably not for WRSH. The 6 is a great versatile rod and probably covers the greatest range of fishing possibilities...or a soft 7 too!

6. Zen Piscator

Zen Piscator Supporting wild steelhead, gravel to gravel.

Home Page:
    Well I fished with Corey S a little while ago and he caught a 16-17 summer run on his 5wt.

I've caught steelies to 14lbs on 5wt rods and while I don't use a 6wt have landed my share of metal on my buddies GLX 6wt.

I would recomend that Metolius as a good summer rod, if you know how to fight fish. Just remeber keep the rod low and put the hurt on it baby.

Peace,
    Andy

7. Steelie Mike

Steelie Mike Active Member

Home Page:
    How big are your steelhead in Denmark?

8. Zen Piscator

Zen Piscator Supporting wild steelhead, gravel to gravel.

Home Page:
    Mike,
    I beleive there is a huge saltwater lake that harbors "steelhead" to a fair size somewhere in that region, may lab can fill us in more.

9. labrador

labrador New Member

Hey guys

Thanks a lot for all your answers, I am sorry that I could not reply earlier, but I was sleeping when your answers came in:thumb: I have to say that we do not really have Steelheads in Denmark but we have very good seatrout fishing with fish around 5-20 pounds (mainly between 5-10 pounds), so I thought that their strength were about the same as the strength or your Steelheads, at least the summer steelheads... I did not know that you distinguish between summer and winter steelheads.

So after what you have told me I think the rod fits rather perfect. The rod is not supposed to be used in big water during winter. And a trip to the US. or Canada for summer steelhead could most definately be an option.

Thanks again! - Klaus

10. labrador

labrador New Member

Please allow me another question. Would the streamdance GLX 6wt max line speed be a better rod or just a more expensive one? I suppose it is a little faster, so it might be better with heavier flies than the high line speed metolius. Thanks again for any comment!

Klaus

11. fish-on

fish-on Waters haunt me....

Klaus,

I have the Streamdance GLX High Line Sspeed. It is a step down in stiffness from the Max line speed. The HLS is already a fast rod and to some extent too fast for a few at least in my taste. It feels more like a 7 weight and can definitely handle some serious sink tipping. Talking to the reps in G-loomis, the max line speed was designed more for the elite/extreme distance casters and may not be suitable for an all around fishing situation.

Your 6 wt Metolious is good enough for the fishing you mentioned. I have caught numerous steelhead and never had any problems landing steelhead. I even caught a 26 lb king on my GL3 5wt, but that was in one of those freakish incidents and wouldn't recommend it. I nymph with it most of the time although I can also use sinktips with it but only short and not too heavy tips that I make. I go to a heavier rod when I'm swinging long and heavy sink tips. I second what Zen said, lay back on that rod and put some serioius pressure on the fish.

tight lines,

John

12. Denny

Denny Active Member

I concur with most of the comments noted . . .

Thought there are plenty of stories about folks catching big fish on the rod, as you can tell, it's the exception and not the norm. Yeah, I've caught small summer king salmon on my GLX 6 weight, but it was incidental while fishing for pink salmon. I wouldn't target those larger fish specifically with the lighter line rods. I'm guessing that it might take a while for Loomis to get a repaired rod back to you in Denmark . . .

For your purposes, the 6 weight should be adequate. Given the size of the average size of the seatrout you're catching, and if you fish in windy conditions and maybe fish weighted flies, you might almost want to consider stepping up one line to 7 weight. It can make quite a bit of difference.

Richard

13. labrador

labrador New Member

Hey guys

Thanks again! I really appreciate it! I am not sure whether to choose 6 wt. or 7 wt. though. I think I have to close my eyes and take a pick... But given the feedback from G. loomis that max line speed is for extreme distance casting I'll probably stick with the high line speed, if I choose the 6 wt.

Klaus

14. Flyborg

Flyborg Active Member

It's important to note that a six weight rod really means "A rod intended to cast a six weight line". There is no recognized standard means of measuring rod power amongst rod manufacturers, and most manufacturers don’t even standardize the power ratings between their own rod families. In short, there’s no way to say “A six weight rod isn’t enough” when it’s completely normal for some six weight rods to have as much butt stiffness as some eight weight rods.

15. labrador

labrador New Member

Nice point, could you give some example on rods in class 6 with classe 8 butt stiffness?

Klaus