Status
Not open for further replies.

Streamer rod. Radian?

Wanted 
Tags
streamer
3K views 28 replies 18 participants last post by  Ovannoy 
#1 ·
I'm looking for a 6 or 7 weight streamer rod. I'm leaning towards the Scott radian, 6 foot without fighting butt, however I'm open to suggestions. Replacing a sage one 6 weight that was stolen.

#5 ·
That's my dilemma. I like the technical benefits of the fighting butt, and it's salt water worthiness.

I love the look of the reel seat on the non fighting butt model.

I see myself realistically fishing salt 3 or 4 more times before I move to Montana. It's just really not my thing. Can't figure it out and get skunked 9/10 times.

If I cast this rod 1000x a year, I might need the benefit of the fighting butt 10x.

I'd rather be able to enjoy the beauty of the rod and seat on the other 9990 casts.

#8 ·
I'm trying my hardest to refrain from making fun of you here Nate.... ;)

Do you look at the reel seat when casting?

If you have a fighting butt you can use it to keep the reel and that beautiful reel seat off the ground when you place the rod down anywhere. That would keep the rod beautiful longer.

#11 ·
Depending on where you're planning to fish, a 6wt is on the small side for a dedicated streamer rod. There's a reason fighting butts are included on most streamer rods. If you're talking size 4 buggers on small rivers then a 6wt is fine, but if you're talking big articulated stuff with sink tips, big water, and wind then I'd be looking at 7-8wts (with a fighting butt).

#17 ·
I'll grant you the "wind" clause in 6 vs 7wts for streamers specifically. My 6wt Scott STS and Loomis GLX Classic will handle any reasonable fly I need. Tossed 4" dual rabbit winged articulated with ease, accuracy, and lightness in hand all day yesterday.

For a dedicated full on streamer rod I would advocate a 7wt. Their an entirely different class of rod and will cover other heavier 'big game' pursuits. For a Trout specific crossover stick though.. a 6wt fresh water style build is hard to beat.

These things do a decent job protecting a butt cap. Admittedly a compromise but better than nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.