Stripping Basket recommendations?

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by R00k, Mar 9, 2014.

1. Lue Taylor

Lue Taylor Lue Taylor/dbfly

Hey was there not a 24 page thread on this subject last month

Alexander likes this.
  2. doublebluff

doublebluff Go Beavs

I have resisted a basket because I can't imagine being able to strip the line actually into a basket. I get the idea of keeping control of the line a bit, but what about something like this?

http://www.profisk.dk/group.asp?group=971

3. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

db,
    Once you use a basket a bit it isn't really that hard to get the line in it. I strip with my left hand and keep the basket low and cocked towards my left hip.
    I've seen the baskets you posted for sale, but I've never seen anyone actually using on on the beach. It seems it would be harder to keep the line on that easpecially if the wind was blowing versus a basket.

It looks like another stripping basket option will be available for purchase from Sea Level come this spring.
    You can view pictures of it at the bottom of the first post by Dan Blanton.
    http://www.danblanton.com/viewmessage.php?id=187821

Sea Level makes some pretty nice line management products for boats as well.
    http://www.sealevelflyfish.com/stripping-bucket-ii/
    SF

4. Dipnet

Dipnet The wanted posters say Tim Hartman

5. Chris Bellows

Chris Bellows Your Preferred WFF Poster

thanks for posting this. nice to see a replacement for the fly line tamers i have always used on a boat... and are no longer manufactured.

thanks!!!

6. Rob Ast

Rob Ast Active Member

I tried the mangrove hip shooter. I found because of its depth it limited my ability to wade deep and still use it comfortably. I think the shallower style baskets are better for our local beaches.

7. cutthroat kid

cutthroat kid cut throat kid

8. cutthroat kid

cutthroat kid cut throat kid

good tip on not stripping line into the basket to start, I will try that this weekend. I like your shop

erin

9. Bob Triggs

Bob Triggs Stop Killing Wild Steelhead!

Home Page:
    I have been using Rubbermaid Dish Pan stripping baskets for almost 30 years. Cheap, inexpensive, effective. I drill a 3/8" hole in the lip, one at each corner, and I use a 30" bungee cord with a plastic coated steel hook at each end. I do not put anything like drain holes or line tending loops etc., in the basket. I use it clean and bare. It is very simple to flip the water out of it if need be, easy to release if you stumble or trip in deeper water, or take a big wave over the top. And it is a clean dry place for my dirty boots and waders on the trip home. Should you fall into strong current or wash wearing this simple setup, the elasticity of the bungee will allow you to gain your footing, and they are easy to drop off quickly. A solid belted deep plastic stripping basket, even with a mesh bottom, will take on a lot of water quickly in some situations, heavy water, and if you fall in to fast moving water, or you take a wave wearing one of those tubs, you better be good at unbuckling it fast. I have been finding these Dish Pans at yard sales for a dollar or less. And the bungee cords are easy to come by. I still have my first one, which is almost 30 years of use, and I think I paid $2 for it at Kmart on sale, and I found the bungee in the road on the way to the beach. Fishing side by side with other anglers, they using all manner of their own stripping baskets, I get no more nor no fewer tangles or snags than they do. I am astonished at what people are willing to pay for these things. http://olympicpeninsulaflyfishing.blogspot.com

10. Alexander

Alexander Fishon

You should see me strip for Coho... ;). :D. Hella fast.

11. Don Freeman

Don Freeman Free Man

I've tried several of the mesh baskets, and while more comfortable, they don't work anywhere near as well as the Orvis or Linkurv.

I do use my Wm Joseph though, it's excellent for picking huckleberries and mushrooms.

flybill and Steve Saville like this.
  12. Steve Saville

Steve Saville Active Member

:)

13. Clay Carney

Clay Carney Member

I made three or four of my own and they worked... for a while. The cones I glued on would break or come off and the weed eater line or zip ties would get bent over or warped. I broke down and bought the Orvis basket and it works great, well worth the money.

For the boat option I use a tall laundry basket and it works great.

14. Jim Lawrence

Jim Lawrence Member

I cut the William Joseph netting off the belt and put the Ikea footstool where the netting would be. This combo works really well. The belt is very comfortable and the basket works well. Good idea for the berry picking!

15. Roger Stephens

Roger Stephens Active Member

I have been using a KR Line Tender(collapsible stripping basket) by HMH for many years while fishing Baja beaches for sierra's and rooster's. For the past four weeks I used it almost every morning in 1 to 3 foot waves with no issues. I have modified the basket using 1/8 inch painted plywood to form fit the bottom. Corn cob handles are attached to the plywood which usually eliminate line tangles. The plywood forms a solid bottom and helps the sides of the basket to be relatively rigid. The collapsible basket fits into a 10" x 15" x 1" mesh bag. It takes up very little space when traveling. The collapsible basket was pretty useless without the plywood and corn cob handles.

I mostly fish out of a boat on Puget Sound but often go ashore to fish gravel bars and shallow shelves plus occasionally walk 1/4 to 1 1/2 miles into a couple of beaches. It is very convenient to carry the basket slung over a shoulder when walking. In my boat I use a collapsible cloths hamper with two 3/4" treated plywood circles to keep the basket from blowing out of the boat when motoring. Corn cobs handles are again attached to plywood.

Roger

Attached Files:

Porter and Bagman like this.